Axe FX III vs Kemper Profiling Amp

• Do the things that you find make your recordings translate more emotionally.

That’s what I do.
    Worked for me so far.

Hobbyists love to convince themselves that professionals are deluding themselves.
    Feel free.

• Blind tests are valid if the listener has been trained as to what differences to listen for.

Ideally, you want participants who are familiar with the content, though blind tests involving participants over the internet can be useful in determining the validity with respect to claims of discernment. If someone claims they can hear a difference between X and Y, a blind test can be useful in determining the validity of the claim and ruling out confirmation bias.

• I use 90% my own profiles for recording and 100% for live.

I use my favourite mics and preamps with sometimes a bit of eq. But no other processing as things like compressors might behave unpredictably to the Profiling process.

• I felt like the Kemper profiles being largely MBRITT made it a limited comparison-they're not as present as others imo. No offense to mbritt or the users, I hear lots of people are happy with them.

Britt has noted that a lot of his profiles were developed primarily for live use, so highs and lows won't generally sound as prominent when playing at comfortable listening levels.

• I felt like the Kemper profiles being largely MBRITT made it a limited comparison-they're not as present as others imo. No offense to mbritt or the users, I hear lots of people are happy with them.

That's a spot on observation!
    The first few packages MBRITT made use the same Cabinet. (I love them, despite that, they do get a lot of love.)

Edited 2 times, last by db9091 ().

• Nothing supplants choosing gear and using up that trial period.
    Going over the forum stated PROs and CONs to see if they matter to your own workflow.
    The shared profile community for Kemper is such a phenomenal resource that never stops growing. It's so really easy to find that perfect tone almost made for you.
    Real amazing to profile your own gear, too. If anyone tells you that the Fractal can do this, no one should believe one.. word... of.. it. That's just rubbish. BS
    There is so much that I like about the FXII (I use to own an ULTRA, own an FX8 and routinely play my friends FXII)
    It can tweak and sound like almost anything you want once you learn it and the editor helps you do this more easily (although the interface isn't bad as far as rack mounted gear goes.)
    It's really amazing gear that if dropped on the market in 2010 would have blown off the top of the industry. It's taken may years to develop as far as it has, and it has the Kemper to thank
    for that kind of pressure to keep seeking amp realism. But is it capable of "profiling" your amp? No. Way. That's a lie. Run from that kind of review. There is SO MUCH good truth to the FXII that it don't have to have lies made up about it to be a top notch pro gear.

Regardless of which gear, whatever a person gets should do this IMO:
    * enhance your workflow
    * save you money
    * promote your play time
    * be exceedingly fun
    * bring you to a larger community
    * grow with your needs (& plenty of I/O)
    * be reliable and long lasting equipment
    * long lasting customer support

• The Axe FX obviously doesn't use profiling technology, though it does offer EQ matching which, while different, can use either a real rig or recording as the basis for capturing the linear characteristics of a reference signal. Profiling, on the other hand, has the advantage of being able to capture both linear and non-linear characteristics, though it's use is limited to real amps.