Remote assigments not storing as part of STOMPS and EFFECTS presets. Bug or feature?

• Hi all,

I wanted to make some STOMPS and EFFECTS presets from the excellent Tone Junkie profiles to use with other rigs that don't have effects pre-programmed. Including assigning the effects to my remote buttons.

However when I restore these presets the remote assignments are not restore.

Is this a bug or feature?

Nikolaj

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Effect Button Assignments are not included in Effect Presets as this could cause logical conflicts, if you load such a Preset in another Rig and/or another Module, where this Effect Button might already be occupied. The same applies to copy/paste of effects.

• Thanks for the response Buckhard - since one remote button can control more than one effect what would be the nature of this logical conflict?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Let's assume you create a Preset of a Distortion in Module A and that would hypothetically include an assignment of Effect Button III. Now you move to another Rig and load this Preset into Module C. In this Rig the Effect Button III is already assigned to Delay and Reverb. What should now happen?

Should the assignment of Delay and Reverb be overwritten? But this might come as a surprise. What, if you don't want that?

Should the assignment of the Distortion be added beside Delay and Reverb? So, Effect Button III would now switch Delay, Reverb ... and Distortion, but you just see Delay and Reverb, as the third assignment is "hidden". Another potential surprise. What if the Effect Button III had already four assignments? Should the first or the fourth be overwritten now? Or should the new assignment we waved?

If you would load such a Preset, it would be practically unpredictable, what happens. I think, this is a rathole. That's why the assignments are not included in the Presets.

• Thanks Burkhard. I was describing presets for the whole stomps and effects settings in the first post. Not individual effects. A little bit more predictable but of course some of the issues still apply. Would prefer if it were included though despite the potential confusion.

• Oh - and it's not really hidden if there are more than 2 assignments. The remote clearly shows this in the display. No problem.

Remaining challenge is when you end up with more than 4 assignments. But this is a rare case that shouldn't prevent basic use improvement IMHO. I'm sure you can come up with a default behavior (and still the remote would show the result clearly)

• Assignments of Stomps and Effects Section could also compete with each other on the same Effect Button(s) of another Rig. I guess, it makes also no sense to make Presets of Modules and Sections behave differently in this respect. Wouldn't be intuitive. The consequences of loading such a Preset with assignments are hidden in the way, that you cannot know in advance, what will happen - the Preset name as such in the list of Presets doesn't tell you anything about their assignments - and then after loading the Preset it's hard to compare and figure out the impact it had on the Rig's assignments. If you load a Section Preset it could affect all four Effect Buttons at once. After the fact you only see the new scenario.

If you want to use the same Stomps or Effects with their assignments all the time you could lock these Sections. At least temporarily while you create new Rigs. Locking does include Effect Button assignments as long as the Effect Buttons have only single assignments. If Effect Buttons have multiple assignments these could mix locked and unlocked Modules/Sections, which is another rathole. That's why Effect Buttons with multiple assignments are withdrawn during locking. Or you could selectively browse and just browse the Stack, Amp or Cab, which will maintain Stomps and Effects including all their assignments..

User friendliness is sometimes a question of keeping things simple.

• Thank for your response Burkhard. I would prefer to deal with the risk of having a surprising assignment change in rare circumstances. But that's probably just me :)

• That is the other point ... you are the first raising this concern/suggestion since we introduced the Remote. We need to weigh this against the potential confusion, this might cause. You would be very aware how this works and what the implications are, but others wouldn't.

• True. Or I'm the only one saving presets for the whole sections :). Either way it will not be important on a bigger scale.