Multiple Bass Rigs for Cover Band?

• I Just started playing bass with a bunch of guys a couple months ago. Usually I just plug into the rig that is at the rehearsal space, but this next time around I am going to bring the Kemper and my Atomic cab.

Since I am more of a Sucky Guitar player than a Sucky Bass player, I am not quite familiar with the standard operating procedures of Bass Playing.

Do you guys have different Bass Rigs for different songs, or do you pretty much pick a favorite and stick to that one the whole set?

We mostly play 90's grunge/rock and a little AC/DC and Danzig.

Thanks

• Traditionally, most bass players arrive at a sound that works for them and stick with it.

They'll perhaps engage a chorus or phasing effect here and there for specific parts.

That's not to say that you couldn't use a different Rig for every song, but I'd suggest one would be better off choosing a favourite Rig for each genre if indeed one had to cover many during a gig.

My thinking is that it makes it tricky for the FOH engineer to maintain the correct amount of bottom end if you're constantly switching Rigs, each of which emphasises different areas of the low end. Some will fight with the kick, for instance, whilst others won't. Some will perhaps interfere with the rhythm-guitar parts (especially 7-or-more-string guitars' chugging), and so on.

Based on the genres you mentioned, I'd say that you'd need no more than 2 Rigs, but I'd consider using just one that's a compromise between the perhaps slightly-overdriven grunge one and the more-solid, "bassier" AC/DC one.

• Awesome, Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know. We are a loooooooooooooooooong ways off from ever have to deal with a FOH engineer, but what you said makes complete sense.

It is all just for fun at this point, I will just find one or two like you said and stick to those. No need to over-complicate something that doesn't need to be over-complicated.

• Hey, thanks for listening, man. It's only my opinion of course; others might see it differently.

One caveat might be that, one day when you do gig at that level, if you had your own engineer (I know, right?)... and a digital desk, you could create snapshots of the setup for each song. That way any tweaks that need to be made to the bass and surrounding instruments (frequency-spectrum-wise) in order for them to play nice in the mix could be recalled before the beginning of each song.

That's a helluva caveat 'though, so for now it sounds to me like your decision not to "over complicate" things is a good one. I'd suggest aiming for Rigs that "make" you play better. Invariably, they'll be the ones that sound best anyway... usually.

• I'd setup a basic go-to sound that simply works (like the "Brass Diver" Profiles of the "Rigs for bass players" Rig Pack)

Then, listen to the original tracks and note important characteristics of the bass sound used and emulate these with additional Rigs if needed.

As a fellow guitar player that dabbles in the bass territory, I can only recommend Wedgie Rubber bass picks. Plays like a pick, sounds like it's played with fingers.

hth

• As a fellow guitar player that dabbles in the bass territory, I can only recommend Wedgie Rubber bass picks. Plays like a pick, sounds like it's played with fingers.
    hth

The rubber picks were the first thing I bought when I started dabbling. I have limited amount of memory left in my brain and trying to to learn to play with my fingers would probably push me over the edge!

• As a guitarist and usually leader of the band I prefer for the bass to be pretty consistent. A warm and deep tone, a punchy funk tone, and whatever lead tones they want to use in their 40 seconds of glory. :)

• thanks so much @MuddySludge :) i'm glad you like my stuff

• As a guitarist and usually leader of the band I prefer for the bass to be pretty consistent. A warm and deep tone, a punchy funk tone, and whatever lead tones they want to use in their 40 seconds of glory. :)

that's nice for YOUR band, but i'm covering 35 years worth of records in a set that ranges from 80's rock to pop to country to blues to dance etc.
    I'm definitely going to use different amp profiles, and effects, for different songs. It's part of the advantage of the Kemper over just having an Ampeg on stage.

and the original poster is asking about a cover band.
    You don't, ideally at least, have the same bass guitar sound for the McCartney covers as the Entwistle and Flea and Jamerson songs, etc.

• I'd love to have a bassist that can cover that wide a range of tones successfully. I don't know of a single bassist here with a KPA. :(

I'm definitely not anti-complexity when it's done right. I've just had a few experiences with players that are all over the place tonally. When you go see Flea or other iconic bass players they work within certain parameters for a show. I think cover bands are similar - you want some consistency in the rhythm section during the show.

For the record I've been a bassist longer than a guitarist and I'm passionate about it. I've always tried hard to not be a typical guitarist/bassist and I approach them completely differently.

• I'd love to have a bassist that can cover that wide a range of tones successfully. I don't know of a single bassist here with a KPA. :(
    For the record I've been a bassist longer than a guitarist and I'm passionate about it. I've always tried hard to not be a typical guitarist/bassist and I approach them completely differently.

Dude, you're a bass player!? Noice :thumbup:

I think if you can utilize as many rigs as possible for your sets why the heck not? Makes sense to me. I'm lazy when it comes to bass, haha, gimme one rig and I'll adjust as necessary from the instrument :D

• Yeah - I suspect I'd use a different rig for almost every song as well with my KPA. I haven't really played much bass since I got mine, but it's so easy and the bass profiles I have tried sound and feel right at band levels.

• I started this with @Bommel 's Gorm EBS 350 DI and switched between @Tim 's Phil Jones Bass, "Bass Buddy".
    One take using the remote with an active 1982 Vigier Passion bass.
    Both of these rigs are the type you could play most any style with.
    Thanks gentlemen for your expertise. :thumbup:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.