Kemper DI vs. real DI boxes

• Every now and then, I see comments that the DI signal from Kemper is not as good as dedicated DI boxes. I happened to have a bunch of different DI boxes, so I decided to do a quick comparison against the Kemper:

Note: This is not a technical test whatsoever. I didn't measure any noise floors, THD, output levels, etc. All I did is record all 5 through the same signal path using as neutral settings as possible in the two designed-to-color DIs: MXR and SansAmp.

No post-effects and all DI signals have been matched to be roughly the same volume:

(Sound begins at 0:10)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It would be cool if someone could also measure the Kemper DI technically, so we could tell how the Kemper DI compares against real boxes :thumbup:

Would be fun to get to the truth whether the Kemper DI is good enough, or should you still use a real DI box for recording.

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000

Edited once, last by Torniojaws ().

• Necroing this thread, because I find this topic really interesting.

Listening to the video, the levels are all over the place (I know you tried!). The Kemper DI at the end is super loud compared to everything played before it, while the one in the beginning is too soft. Still, it serves the purposes of the comparison.

Based on my listening over Mac speakers, I thought the Redeye was the best of the lot. There was some real body to the tone.

Of course, the final segment with the Kemper was "the best", but it was far louder than the others.

One thing though: Not to nitpick, but when you used the Sansamp and MXR, one thing I thought is why on earth would you want all the settings on 12? That's just pointless, they are there for a reason. Those DIs are renowned, some major players use the Sansamp stuff, so I think just setting them on something other than "the best" possible is just making them seem less capable than they are.

They definitely sounded the worst of the lot. Even the Ultra DI sounded more full. I don't think that's accurate.

• Just ran across this thread:

Anyone else using the kemper with an external DI?

Mr CK points out that other DIs may sound different, but the Kemper is accurate.

Still, I'd be really curious to know if a "better sounding" DI signal versus "an accurate" DI signal would translate into a better recorded tone in the end.

I've even see tests that say a Tascam DI is as good as a Radial DI. Could be, but I am often sceptical about these kinds of user reviews, because I don't think any pro studios would be using Tascam DIs. It's not a prestige thing, there has to be something above my paygrade in all of this talk about good DIs and bad DIs.

I also have other questions, such as if I am using active pickups, does the Kemper DI compensate by becoming a passive DI? Or if I am using passive pickups, does it compensate by being some kind of active DI?

Would love to hear more about this.