Please help with my first profiling session

• Hi,
    Tonight these guys invited me over to listen to their band practice. And its a perfect time for me to profile his 2 channel Triple Rec. (dats right 2 channel). Anyways I haven't profiled yet and was wondering if you could run me through the paces.

He has (2) 1/2 stacks. So basically I only need my mic and Kemper then correct?

I hook the "send" to the triple's input and connect mic to "return" and mic his cab. THEN! I go main outs to the other 1/2 stack??

anything else? prolly...

Ty CH

• Unless you have a separate room for monitoring I would monitor through headphones, not the best but better than have the full cab flapping your hair while refining and comparing. Main out to stack? Don't do it! Need some frfr monitoring

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Ok I have Adam's A7X's... just take one of those with me?

Why not use the other head's return to A/B?

Ty

Then you would stage 2 power amp and 2 cabs on B....unless you profile only the preamp from fx send on amp 1 and then you compare the full amp 1 to KPA preamp profile+power amp and cab from amp 2

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• But basically you want me to use my studio monitor to A/B between the reference amp and Kemper profile correct?

Yes, but as already said, this only works nicely if you have the Cab and the Mic in a different room that does not bleed too much into the "monitoring" room. Else you simply will have difficulties in judging your results. The only other way is to use some closed headphones with good isolation. Take your time and play with different mic placements. It is way more important than trying different settings on the amp.

• Nobody said that profiling with your amp in the same room wouldnt work, but it can be very time consuming and you might not be able to find the sweet spots when miking. Normally the amp in your room would be so loud that you could not get a clearly separated signal out of your monitors at the time. But it is highly advisable though to monitor the miked signal while moving the mike to find the sweet spot. If you have no possibilty to monitor your miked signal before profiling, you would make a profile, change the setting, profile again and so on.

• Ok thanks Tylerhb,

Well I was at their practice last night. Set up the Kemp through a B52 amp & 4x12 NEXT to my bud's (2 channel) Triple Rectifier & Marshall 4x12. So... of course, through a set up like that the Kemp would have a hard time matching up but IT DID NOT BAD! I think the others could tell it had a more musical sound but they just knew it didn't have the girth or grind as the Triple did. Now! If I had put it through a better PA and cab it would've been a different story.
    I did manage to profile his triple though (first time ever) :) Soon I'll be heading on home to hear his profile through my amp and cab.
    Just thought I'd keep you updated :)

CH