How To Tone Match?

• Hi all!

I'm a bit dense when it comes to the IR's and Cab Making so maybe you all can enlighten me on something. I'm in a cover band and I'm trying to get my tone closer to the tone of the songs we're playing. I've seen some of you talk about tone matching but I'm not sure how to do it. Can any of you give me a step by step on how to tone match a song to create a new rig?

• I hope this doesn't add to the confusion.
    If you have a tube amp and a DI. Plug output from DI (coming from tube amp) into audio interface. In the DAW on the computer and load an Impulse response plugin that will be added to the tube amp track. Load an IR that you like, load a stem track of the guitar in the song you like if it's available (try searching for one on google if you don't have it. Use a tone match (EQ Match) plugin to match the TUBE AMP + IR to get similar tone to the guitar track you had imported

After successfully EQ matching, now you can make a profile of that signal chain., TUBE AMP>DI>Impulse Loader Plugin>EQMatch plugin.

IF the above sounds crazy, google for profiles of the artist your seeking and there might be already profiles out-there that you can simply download .

• I hope this doesn't add to the confusion.
    If you have a tube amp and a DI. Plug output from DI (coming from tube amp) into audio interface. In the DAW on the computer and load an Impulse response plugin that will be added to the tube amp track. Load an IR that you like, load a stem track of the guitar in the song you like if it's available (try searching for one on google if you don't have it. Use a tone match (EQ Match) plugin to match the TUBE AMP + IR to get similar tone to the guitar track you had imported

After successfully EQ matching, now you can make a profile of that signal chain., TUBE AMP>DI>Impulse Loader Plugin>EQMatch plugin.

IF the above sounds crazy, google for profiles of the artist your seeking and there might be already profiles out-there that you can simply download .

Is it possible if I don't have any tube amps? I've sold mine 'cause I didn't see the need for them anymore.

• Yes, you can make and impulse response of the signal in your DAW then convert the impulse to KPA format and load it into the Kemper. If you ever need to do that (make an impulse response of that) let me know. I have a very small wave file that has worked just as good and faster than messing around with sine sweeps and deconvolving plugings to extract the IR. The file I have takes seconds to give you an IR as fast as exporting a mix down of a less than one second,

• If you play in a cover band, it sometimes helps if you know the amp and the cab, the original guitar player was using.
    If you know that the recorded amp was a Marshall JCM 800, you can start to search your tone by using profiles of this amp.

• One caveat of Tone Match IRs is that when you tone match to a song, by using a solo'd track, you have to understand that you're matching a post production track. I was obsessed with George Lynch (ok, I still am), and I would tone match anything I could. I literally tone matched everything from solo'd tracks to his videos.

By themselves, the tone matched IR sounded VERY harsh. It was only playable when playing with a band.

Since getting the Kemper, I have found that I was better off getting a profile of his amp, than any EQ matched IR. It sounded fuller, and better. If you still want to go down that rabbit hole (and it is an rabbit hole), I can go through the steps I used. But, I guarantee you will be happier with a profile of that person's amp than the EQ matched IR.

• One caveat of Tone Match IRs is that when you tone match to a song, by using a solo'd track, you have to understand that you're matching a post production track. I was obsessed with George Lynch (ok, I still am), and I would tone match anything I could. I literally tone matched everything from solo'd tracks to his videos.

By themselves, the tone matched IR sounded VERY harsh. It was only playable when playing with a band.

Since getting the Kemper, I have found that I was better off getting a profile of his amp, than any EQ matched IR. It sounded fuller, and better. If you still want to go down that rabbit hole (and it is an rabbit hole), I can go through the steps I used. But, I guarantee you will be happier with a profile of that person's amp than the EQ matched IR.

What's your process?

• I have tried to figure out how to tone match with the kemper for over a year and havent been able to do it yet. I have read all the posts here and researched elsewhere and maybe I'm a little dim but it's really confusing. I really wish someone would do a step by step walkthrough of some sort explaining things in layman's terms. That would be so helpful!

• I have tried to figure out how to tone match with the kemper for over a year and havent been able to do it yet. I have read all the posts here and researched elsewhere and maybe I'm a little dim but it's really confusing. I really wish someone would do a step by step walkthrough of some sort explaining things in layman's terms. That would be so helpful!

What do you want to match?
    Which amp do you want to match?

Which guitar?

Which player?

• Well, more than anything I'd really like to get an accurate match to Randy Rhoads tone on the live Ozzy Osbourne Randy Rhoads Tribute album. I know what he was using was basically 2 1980 Marshall JMP 1959 Super Lead MKII 100-watt Non Master Volume heads with a Cascade mod performed at the factory pushed by an MXR Distortion Plus. Now ofcourse I can get very close using a profile of that type of amp but not close enough and I don't know if it's because it's missing the MXR Distortion + or because it's missing the Cascade mod, probably both. I have tried a few Kemper stomps such as the Green Scream but haven't been able to recreate that tone. I have tried the tone matches of Tribute done by Pete's Profiles and Top Jimmy and altough those aren't bad, to my ears they are still a world away from the iconic tone on that live album. I've tried tweaking both of those and gotten a little closer but I guess I just dont have the time, patience or ear needed to nail it down as much as I'd like to. I was able to do a tone match of Tribute using Bias FX 2 with their automated matching process that I am very happy with but that's only usable with Bias FX and I need it for the Kemper

• Well, more than anything I'd really like to get an accurate match to Randy Rhoads tone on the live Ozzy Osbourne Randy Rhoads Tribute album. I know what he was using was basically 2 1980 Marshall JMP 1959 Super Lead MKII 100-watt Non Master Volume heads with a Cascade mod performed at the factory pushed by an MXR Distortion Plus. Now ofcourse I can get very close using a profile of that type of amp but not close enough and I don't know if it's because it's missing the MXR Distortion + or because it's missing the Cascade mod, probably both. I have tried a few Kemper stomps such as the Green Scream but haven't been able to recreate that tone. I have tried the tone matches of Tribute done by Pete's Profiles and Top Jimmy and altough those aren't bad, to my ears they are still a world away from the iconic tone on that live album. I've tried tweaking both of those and gotten a little closer but I guess I just dont have the time, patience or ear needed to nail it down as much as I'd like to. I was able to do a tone match of Tribute using Bias FX 2 with their automated matching process that I am very happy with but that's only usable with Bias FX and I need it for the Kemper

The only other comment ( and please take this the right way) is are you sure that the Top Jimi profiles aren't close?

The reason I say this is that I bought that pack and tried the Rhoads sounds and thought....yuk. Really thin, bit fizzy etc. Nothing like I could hear in my head.

But then if you listen ( and I mean really listen) Randy's sound isn't that great on its own and its not far off. It seemed pretty close to me. The point is his sound cut through and is perfect in the band mix but on its own was not the sound you would instantly think.

I have found this with a number of iconic sounds.

Just a thought...

• The only other comment ( and please take this the right way) is are you sure that the Top Jimi profiles aren't close?

I know it's been almost a year now but I just noticed this reply. I believe your thinking of the Blizzard of Ozz or Diary studio recordings which are way different from the live tone he had on Tribute. If you're not familiar you should definitely give it a listen as that album changed my whole life! I wouldn't be here, or even have ever picked up guitar otherwise!

• I know tribute very well, in fact it was the first Ozzy Album I listened to and changed my playing forever...but you are right the tones are different although the principle is the same.

His sound on the suicide solution solo isn't great...his playing is though!