Only complaint about my Kemper Where is the spring reverb sound?

• I haven't been that bent up about it but recently I heard a small fender combo at work on stage and know I'm like, I NEED THIS! I really don't though haha

My h9 spring reverb will be fine for now or the tc hof is decent enough if I'm feeling lazy.

• To get a 100% authentic spring reverb, you're going to need an actual spring tank.

The Surfy Bear pedal is the absolute best:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've had mine for over a week now, it's in the X slot of my KPA. I was worried how it would sound being driven without a speaker cabinet exciting it, or running it straight into the DAW - it's stunning, full of the drip in the video above.

The blues and slide guitar sound great too, when dialed back.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I have yet to find a digital recreation of a spring reverb that compares to the real thing....
    I've tried

I’ve done a lot of research in this area. There isn’t any one pedal that covers all the nuances, you are right. There are three readily available pedals that all come close in their own way:

Subdecay Super Spring Theory
    Strymon Flint
    Catalinbread Topanga

None of them are perfect, but are close enough for a good, pretty convincing gig sound.
    The old Boss FRV1 is pretty nice, though you’ll might find it difficult to find one these days.

• Haven’t heard a demo of that before. That sounds great! The drip is what is missing from the digital pedals I linked to above.

• That's just part of the drive circuit isn't it? You still need the spring reverb tank and enclosure for it I believe.

Yes, you are correct, but if you look at their Accessories page, they carry the Mod and the Accusonic reverb tanks. The Mod tank is for mounting on its' side or vertically, the Accusonic is for flat mount (I believe).

https://www.surfyindustries.com/accessories

I have seen people build the DIY kit into plastic tool boxes and other methods of installation. Some of the people who built these didn't shield them properly so they complain its the products fault when it has interference or odd problems, instead of the builders installation method.

I bought the built one, to avoid any hassle, or poor results.

The pic SB2 below, was before I knew you can't use the Remote pedal connections, for an effects loop, this is just for a reference of the size of the pedal.

• I have yet to find a digital recreation of a spring reverb that compares to the real thing....
    I've tried

The Boss FRV-1 nails the Fender '63 tank sound. I have the real thing...in a way the FRV-1 is better because it doesn't have the drop in gain that you get by running the external tank in front of the amp...but you can still dial in the drip.

• The Boss FRV-1 nails the Fender '63 tank sound. I have the real thing...in a way the FRV-1 is better because it doesn't have the drop in gain that you get by running the external tank in front of the amp...but you can still dial in the drip.

I love surf music and have a real Fender tube spring tank as well in front of amps.
    Over the years I have compared it to many digital recreations (pedals and software).
    IMO the Boss Frv-1 pedal I have does not nail the real fender tank when A-B comparing, but it does a better job than most other pedals.
    The shortcoming are the eq (way too shrill), the tail, drip and the boing are weaker and not the same character.
    I hear a clear difference when playing a hard percussive attack single string and also chord.
    I haven't done any testing yet (no kemper here now) but from what I hear in some clips the new kemper spring sounds like a winning candidate for the best digital fender tube spring tank emulation award. That is very big since many think that the real spring tank is the hardest to reproduce correct in digital reverbs. It's all about getting the big and small details right.

• I agree, the drip just feels too artificial in the FRV-1 and the tone is way too bright, but it’s still better than some of the so-called spring reverb pedals out there (chorus modulation in the tail? Oh, come on!!!).

The Flint nails the reverb, but doesn’t have much drip. The Topanga the same (though it sounds more trashy than a real Fender tank, though I like that about it). The Super Spring Theory by Subdecay sounds good, though the drip is a bit too slap echo-sounding. For me, the Kemper spring blows them all away.