Anyone Interested in a Kemper Cabinet/Speaker Packs?

• I know there was a cabinet pack or two in the past but what is everyone's thoughts on this today.

When doing my profile packs I have been including many different speaker and mic combos. I currently have 6 cabinets, 10 microphones and 24 different speakers and could not include all of these in a profile pack.

I pick the most appropriate and the most accessible at the time.

As always, the cabinet portion is the trickiest of all as most anyone can make a DA profile providing they have a decent direct box. (in my experience these do effect the sound.

I have had some luck importing my IRs into the Kemper but the algorithm the Kemper uses to capture the cab portion in my experience is different in that they are not perfectly compatible.

My thought is making speaker packs that are made based on the merging process meaning it is completely captured by the Kemper and just the speaker cab part.

I understand that the Kemper doesn't manage cabs well as they are not able to be imported in Rig Manager so I suppose the best way would be to attach them to a reference amp DA profile.

If you guys think this is a good idea I could shoot some DA profiles to share and see what other think is a good base file.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

• Tim its already sold as i have been saying , IR's /Cab conversion's is far too much mucking around for me, i need to do productive things like stack beer in the fridge etc. Plus your ear is better than mine and my Fav rigs from you obviously have the best Mic placement already etc, so yeah in answer to your question man. You can lock cabs to make it easier to do this BTW.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• I think it's a great idea, Tim.

I understand that the Kemper doesn't manage cabs well as they are not able to be imported in Rig Manager so I suppose the best way would be to attach them to a reference amp DA profile.

Couldn't you just grab 'em from a .kpabackup file and zip 'em up as I do for the community's wah-preset project?

That way we'd be able to add them using the KPA's "Import" function and have access to a convenient list that doesn't affect the total number of Rigs our units are holding, which for some folks who're teetering near the Rig limit of their machines would be a bonus too.

Just thinking out 'loud, Tim; I do like the idea, mate.

• I think it's a great idea, Tim.

Couldn't you just grab 'em from a .kpabackup file and zip 'em up as I do for the community's wah-preset project?
    That way we'd be able to add them using the KPA's "Import" function and have access to a convenient list that doesn't affect the total number of Rigs our units are holding, which for some folks who're teetering near the Rig limit of their machines would be a bonus too.

Just thinking out 'loud, Tim; I do like the idea, mate.

Hmm... I think the ideal would be BOTH the options. If only one, I'd prefer the one @deadpan suggested so we could audition them via rig manager. That would take even less space on the kemper :)

@deadpan: You don't have to "attach a DA" - when you do the profiles of the cab, you already have them attached to an amp profile, which you have merged with the corresponding Direct Amp profile.

• Good thinking, Michael.

Then again, in order to be able to audition alternate cabs whilst browsing Rigs in RM, it'd be more-convenient to have them living in the Kemper than to have to switch folders to Tim's cabs and then back to wherever you were browsing to change amps.

As you suggested, and in light of this, I also think it'd be best to have both the zipped Cabs and merged Rigs included in the package/s.

• Tim - gotta say - this is an excellent idea. I've been testing your cabs with other profiles with great results. Your JBL D130f cab - for example - is a great cab for all kinds of profiles. If these cabs were all attached to a couple of amps as merged profiles, your purchasers could mix and match as they pleased. Bring it on, I say.

As it stands, we can't browse cabs directly from Rig Manager - we await an editor - so the merged route is better I think than trying to install cabs from a memory stick and then have to browse them on the KPA GUI.

• Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

While the Reference amp DA profile would allow easy loading in the Kemper my thought is it also would give me a base setting on the amp to start with.

The guitar and settings on the amp effect how the cabinet is miced for ideal sound so have a base amp setting I think would be good, thoughts?

The idea is to have as many of you as I can try a few to determine where the best starting place would be.

I went ahead and shot a studio, merged and DA profiles this morning of the Panama amp to see if this is a good starting point. All settings were at noon.

Please let me know if you hear any differences between the studio and merged profile as well as how the merged cabinet works with your other DA profiles and any other thoughts.

The speaker is a Scumback M75 in a wide body ported 1x12 from the 60's to early 70's. Really good cabinet actually.

• So I did a test and the amp settings definitely effect the merged cab outcome. I wouldn't think this would be the case.

I dialed the amp in differently from all at noon and did the studio, direct then merged profiles. I then saved the first cab 1 and cab 2 to the cab folders so I could switch back and forth. They were quite different.

So to just rule out a slightly different mic position I created 1.1 with the exact position of 2 but with all settings at noon as in 1. This cab is super close to 1 with still very different from 2.

• Did you do it in the specifc way the manual outlines below?

People get different/unexpected results if they don't do it in this exact manner:

• Select the Studio Profile in Browse Mode.
    • Hold the CABINET button for at least one second until it’s in focus.
    • Press the COPY button on the Front Panel.
    • Press EXIT and select the respective Direct Amp Profile.
    • Hold CABINET again until it’s in focus.
    • Press the PASTE button.
    • "Merge Cabinet" will appear under soft button 2. Push it!
    • You can undo/redo the merging by pressing “Merge Cabinet” again, and compare results.
    • Press EXIT and store your new Profile.
    • After storing it is not possible to undo the merging anymore
  • I saved the 3 cabs (1, 1.1 and 2) on your Plexed 8.1 profile from another pack. The cabs sound different - 1 and 2 sound different with 2 being crisper. Cab 2 sounds fantastic with your Plexi profile. I'm using an LP for the test.

I think what you are observing makes sense. If you are driving the speakers pretty hard they will be distorting the signal to some degree AND are going to be excited differently with different settings => different spectra coming from the amp.

@Michael_dk - what I do is simply lock on the cab I am interested in and browse to any profile (studio, direct or merged). I save the combination with a new name - I edit the original name adding a suffix to indicate what cab was used (so M1 M1.1 and M2 in this case).

• I saved the 3 cabs (1, 1.1 and 2) on your Plexed 8.1 profile from another pack. The cabs sound different - 1 and 2 sound different with 2 being crisper. Cab 2 sounds fantastic with your Plexi profile. I'm using an LP for the test.

I think what you are observing makes sense. If you are driving the speakers pretty hard they will be distorting the signal to some degree AND are going to be excited differently with different settings => different spectra coming from the amp.

@Michael_dk - what I do is simply lock on the cab I am interested in and browse to any profile (studio, direct or merged). I save the combination with a new name - I edit the original name adding a suffix to indicate what cab was used (so M1 M1.1 and M2 in this case).

What I described was specifically the merging process - not just switching cabs.

• @Michael-dk
    OK - but once you have switched cabs on the same amp section- the saved result is effectively a merged profile - this should be exactly so in the case where you switch to a DA or merged profile and approximately so (within the limits of the Kemper algorithm for splitting the amp and cab contribution) in the case where you attach your cab of interest to a studio profile.

• Did you do it in the specifc way the manual outlines below?

People get different/unexpected results if they don't do it in this exact manner:

• Select the Studio Profile in Browse Mode.
    • Hold the CABINET button for at least one second until it’s in focus.
    • Press the COPY button on the Front Panel.
    • Press EXIT and select the respective Direct Amp Profile.
    • Hold CABINET again until it’s in focus.
    • Press the PASTE button.
    • "Merge Cabinet" will appear under soft button 2. Push it!
    • You can undo/redo the merging by pressing “Merge Cabinet” again, and compare results.
    • Press EXIT and store your new Profile.
    • After storing it is not possible to undo the merging anymore

Yes, and all files are included so anyone can try.

I have tried many other things now. Even shot an IR to compare again st one of the tests and it was pretty close but I may like the IR more.

Thinking about how to share these experiments.

• Odd thing is even just changing the power amp changes how the Kemper merged cab sounds. I also ran into the effects return to bypass the preamp and it sounded different yet again. Seems to be the eq is not completely summed out. Note that when shooting the IR a similar result happened when summing out the poweramp. I imported this IR into the Kemper to compare with the Kemper cab created in the same way but with the Kemper merging process and they were pretty close with the converted IR being a little more clear.

Thanks for the report!

I was trying the initial cab with the Plexed profiles yesterday as was reminded why everyone likes these. Quite fun and just great. I'm not a Marshall guy really but sometimes it just feels great to play sounds that take you to tones of the past. :)