Have you ever wondered?

• Have you ever wondered why your KPA Mesa Amp model doesn't sound like the tone on your guitar hero's latest CD? You are profiling the same amp he uses, so why the difference? It is simply this: He not only used that amp, but he use both pre EQ (for tonal tightness) and post EQ (for both fatness and de-fizzing), multi-band compression (for even-ness), and an ideal miking setup. So in the end, the fact that your profile sounds like a naked miked Marshall really doesn't get you very far...

All modelers known to man 8o

• I think the bigger problem is that all my guitar heros can play the guitar way better than me :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Have you ever wondered why your KPA Mesa Amp model doesn't sound like the tone on your guitar hero's latest CD? You are profiling the same amp he uses, so why the difference? It is simply this: He not only used that amp, but he use both pre EQ (for tonal tightness) and post EQ (for both fatness and de-fizzing), multi-band compression (for even-ness), and an ideal miking setup. So in the end, the fact that your profile sounds like a naked miked Marshall really doesn't get you very far...

C'mon, Radley, you know that's BS...you're 'stirring the pot', again. :)

Give the "naked miked Marshall" KPA tone to any pro studio engineer and he'll use the pre EQ (for tonal tightness, post EQ (for both fatness and de-fizzing), and multi-band compression (for even-ness)...just like he would when miking the real amp.
    It's what pro studios & engineers do, it's their job.

So what you're really trying to say is, hey guys, do you realize it makes no difference whether you use the KPA or a Vox Tonelab, either way you won't sound like your "guitar heros" latest CD.

Ask Ola Englund how far it gets him.
    Both his real Triple Recto miked/recorded and his KPA Profile of his amp will go through the same usual studio pre and post processing before it becomes a CD.

:D

• Do not understimate the power of the dark side :D

But seriously, dont forget that the guitar sound of a rock or metal production just makes up a tiny bit of the whole mix. Over 80% of a mix comes from the drums and the bass alone. So a good guitar tone alone will not bring you anywhere. If you really want to sound like your favorite guitar hero on certain songs, get the original stem mixes without the guitar tracks, like from rock band or guitar hero. Listen to the guitar tracks solo and you will be surprised how thin some of your favourite guitar sounds will be :)

• But seriously, dont forget that the guitar sound of a rock or metal production just makes up a tiny bit of the whole mix. Over 80% of a mix comes from the drums and the bass alone. So a good guitar tone alone will not bring you anywhere. If you really want to sound like your favorite guitar hero on certain songs, get the original stem mixes without the guitar tracks, like from rock band or guitar hero. Listen to the guitar tracks solo and you will be surprised how thin some of your favourite guitar sounds will be :)

It's what I experienced in this thread:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…page=Thread&threadID=3618

Never thought that bass and drums played such an important role in shaping the tone of the entire "production". I always thought it was the rhythm guitars

I call BS. I use one great mic, one great amp and I am there.

• I see what you're saying but there is nothing stopping you creating the profile with Pre-EQ, Post EQ already on and using great mic pre's with proper mic placement. This will capture the 'tone of the pro's' and will get you most of the way there. If you then want to use MBC then you can add that in you daw or using outboard if you need it live. Not sure why the initial comment was made TBH.

Spence

• Totally agree with the bass guitar.
    The profiles are spot on. They just don't have the drums and bass added, and thats the "overall sound".

Some of my biggest sounding guitar tracks amaze people when i mute both bass guitar tracks.
    That's the main reason I love the Kemper as the sounds are very true and easy to drop in a mix.

• Ever wonder why your vocal recordings don't sound like so and so. Or your drum recordings don't sound like so and so. Must mean the real vocal chords and real drums aren't good enough. Radley is trolling and trying To get a rise. He has been planted here by the fractal groupies to stir up crap. Ha. Btw it all depends on the song , mix, production style etc what will dictate what. But it all comes down to the source sound and the Kemper delivers. The more some of the small but vocal distracters talk the more they reveal they really don't understand the process

• In the foreseeable future I think many studios will be offering services with "premium profiles" or the like, meaning some kind of post- production gear gets involved in the profiled signal chain.
    Similar to drums (Toontrack Superior = raw untreated drum sounds, Steven Slate Drums = highly and professionally treated drums, ready for use in a mix). There will be a wide variety of options to choose from, and apart from that, an ever growing user base offering private profiles continuously.
    End of oracle. It´s all good.
    :P

• Actually, the last thing I want the KPA to sounds like is a recorded guitar tone. I want it to sound like an amp in the room. It does. Again, if you are comparing a modeler or profiler with all the equipment in a professional guitar studio, including mixing boards, EQ, compressors, fx, mics and great ears and technique, double or triple tracking a part and expect to get that exact sound out of a $200 or $3000 box, you'll always be disappointed.

In fact, i remember EVH complaining about how great his amps sound in the room but he had difficulty getting that sound to tape.

• Actually, the last thing I want the KPA to sounds like is a recorded guitar tone. I want it to sound like an amp in the room. It does. Again, if you are comparing a modeler or profiler with all the equipment in a professional guitar studio, including mixing boards, EQ, compressors, fx, mics and great ears and technique, double or triple tracking a part and expect to get that exact sound out of a $200 or $3000 box, you'll always be disappointed.

In fact, i remember EVH complaining about how great his amps sound in the room but he had difficulty getting that sound to tape.

Same with me, as I prefer to integrate my guitars into my mixes "manually". But without any doubt there are users that will prefer (and benefit from) more treated profiles.
    Hence my analogy with Superior and SSD drums.

• I own both pieces, and like each one a lot - the fact that neither is yet perfect is my personal observation, and I post similar things on any number of boards. Actually, having the sound of a miked Marshall is a solid start - I just believe most of the tones we hear & love are the result of substantially more than that.

All modelers known to man 8o

Most of the profiles available were shot with mic's that add their own color, so what you're getting is "mic'd amp in the studio" sound and not "amp in the room" sound.

• Most of the profiles available were shot with mic's that add their own color, so what you're getting is "mic'd amp in the studio" sound and not "amp in the room" sound.

I'm using an Atomic FR. Compared to my actual Amps, the KPA sounds extremely close to sounding like an amp in the room. Also, I've recorded several direct profiles, then play them back through power amp/cab. Close enough for rock n roll, at least for me.

Could it be better, sure, but I'm not complaining.

• Anyone using a reference mic?

I profiled with a Palmer PGA-04 speaker simulator last night and got some good results.