acoustic guitar profile

• Has anybody here ever tried to use the KEMPER in a similar way like the Fishman AURA? That means to create a profile that compares the pickup signal of an acoustic guitar with the signal from a good microphone? Could this work by any means?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• The concept is kind of similar ("image" for the Aura vs profile for the Kemper). To create a profile like this I guess one must either profile an Aura or some similar preamp or an acoustic amp directly (many available on RE). I use Kemper often with nylon string/acoustic and it works quite well: my go-to nylon profile comes from an Aura and my main acoustic one is from some Avalon acoustic preamp, both from the exchange. I actually have a proper Aura that I use on acoustic-only gigs and it's quite good, I should actually look into profiling it so I'd have the same presets baked into a profile.

• I profiled my Aura spectrum sometimes ago but the result, while very useable, tend to loose a part of the mojo so I decided to keep the pedal and I still use it live.

• No, I am not talking about profiling the Fishman AURA (or any other acoustic guitar preamp/DI etc).
    I would like to know if it is possible to profile my acoustic guitar directly! I didn´t think of this possibility back then when I owned one.

• I would like to know if it is possible to profile my acoustic guitar directly! I didn´t think of this possibility back then when I owned one.

The only answer I know is : You can profile an amp (or preamp) but not a guitar.
    During the profiling process the Kemper produces signals to be analyzed.

I would wish the Kemper could play guitar, With the existing perfectionism, that would probably be better than my playing. :D

• The only answer I know is : You can profile an amp (or preamp) but not a guitar.During the profiling process the Kemper produces signals to be analyzed.

Ahh, yes! Now I remember: the KEMPER does these wobbling UFO-Sounds during the profiling. So no acoustic guitar profiles - what a pity.

I would wish the Kemper could play guitar, With the existing perfectionism, that would probably be better than my playing. :D

A while ago I was restoring an old recording of piano music. There were two large gaps of sudden silence from drop-outs in the middle of a dense moment of the music. And the "pattern recognition" algorithm of the software (RX btw.) was able to fill these gaps scaringly perfect!!!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• Ahh, yes! Now I remember: the KEMPER does these wobbling UFO-Sounds during the profiling. So no acoustic guitar profiles - what a pity.

A while ago I was restaurating an old recording of piano music. There were two large gaps of sudden silence from drop-outs in the middle of a dense moment of the music. And the "pattern recognition" algorithm of the software (RX btw.) was able to fill these gaps scaringly perfect!!!

:D -
    There is now great progress in the exploration of artificial intelligence.
    Some popular pieces of music are already standing in the shadow by programs. ;)

Addendum to Acoustic Rigs: @Bommel has profiled the tonedexter which is in my mind better than aurora. (A new technology ) and @djemass has a pack on his homepage.
    Both are free and very valid.

• @Sharry thanks man :)

there is a workaround that gets the most out of your acoustic guitar imo and does almost the same then the tonedexter

just record your d.i. gutiar sound and either the miced sound or load in a traget acoustic sound in your DAW and use voxengo curve eq or izotope ozone to match eq these sounds

now connect the kemper to you interface and one output of you interface to the kempers return and profile the match eq ... that way you have a custom profile that works best with your gutiar ... and i recommend putting all preamp setting on the guitar to middle or noon jsut so that you are flexible afterwards ...

• @Sharry said:

The only answer I know is : You can profile an amp (or preamp) but not a guitar.

You cannot profile an acoustic guitar, but you can profile an amp playing an acoustic guitar.

You can try this:

Use a quality mic on your acoustic guitar, and record it in your DAW.

Now you will make a studio profile of the acoustic guitar played through your studio monitors. Mic up your studio monitors, with the mic outputted to your Kemper. Start the profiling process while playing back the recorded track through your monitors.

You will end up with a Studio Profile of your monitors, not your acoustic guitar. If you use an electric guitar with magnetic pickups, it won't sound like an acoustic guitar. It will sound very, very clean. If you use an acoustic piezo pickup with the profile, it should sound like a pretty good acoustic.

Another trick that you can try is to plug an electric guitar into an analog tape deck's mic input via a direct box. Make a profile from monitor playing back a track recorded on the tape deck. I once plugged my Kramer 450 straight into the mic input of a 70's Akai analog cassette deck. I don't know why it worked without a DI, but it did. The sound I got when I played the guitar through some decent 60's era HiFi gear was spectacular. It sounded like the sound that the guitar made acoustically, without plugging it in. It was as if I'd miked up and strummed a guitar with an aluminum neck and a solid walnut body. Just the crystal clear clean sound of the strings. You could think of it as a solid body acoustic guitar. And, yes there was plenty of bottom end. Just no box sound like you get from a hollow body.

I had forgotten about that after all of these years. I have a Tascam 44 and will try replicating this method with my Hamer Duotone. Unlike the solid body Kramer, the Duotone is a semi-acoustic (half hollow, half solid body). Might sound even better!

I have an Aura, and also UA's Woodworks plugin from Soundworks.

Aura attempts to imprint the sound of various sizes of acoustic guitar that has been miked and modeled. The Aura is pretty good at its job.

The Woodworks plugin does an even better job IMHO. It attempts to take an acoustic guitar's piezo pickup output and change it into that of an acoustic that has a great mic on it. Of course, it can only be hosted by a UA Apollo, Satellite or DSP card. There is no Native version.

If you create a profile with the above method, you can try putting either Aura or Woodworks after the Kemper.