Ability to use the Kemper's effects/Speaker Sim with a real amp (via load box)

• Sorry if this is a duplicate I couldn't find it searching...

I notice many people do this with the Axe FX units, that is to run their tube amp through a reactive load box and use the unit for speaker sim and effects...Currently i've weighed options of selling the Kemper and just using my amps/preamps with my power station and getting a UAD Ox for the speaker sim portion(though i love having the kemper as well for playing/recording options). It would be great if the Kemper could do this job and eliminate the hassle of latency in the DAW when trying to load the IR's there (i normally have to shut down a lot of other plugins in my DAW and lower the buffers, etc which i don't have to do recording the Kemper).

(If this is already possible even better, but i haven't figured out if you can shut all the amp/profile portion off and just use the cab/effects).

• So i just got to try this and it worked as expected from my preamp's direct output, but from Power Stations' reactive load it was like some sort of strange gate behavior where it would be silent and all of the sudden the sound would come on and while playing it would fade in and out. The only cable i can find right now is an XLR to 1/4" trs, which seemed to work out from the preamp, so i'm not sure that would be the issue.

I did a pretty extensive search and could not find anyone but me trying this on the internet. I regularly see people do this on youtube with the AxeFx.

• As a side note ... why don't you simply get a DI box like the Kemper DI box, create a Direct Amp Profile of your tube amp and avoid that complexity of looping in that tube amp? Reproducing the sound of your tube amp authentically is the proven core competency of the Profiler. I see only advantages.

• As a side note ... why don't you simply get a DI box like the Kemper DI box, create a Direct Amp Profile of your tube amp and avoid that complexity of looping in that tube amp? Reproducing the sound of your tube amp authentically is the proven core competency of the Profiler. I see only advantages.

I agree many are very close, maybe not exact, but the ones i've tried to make with a DI box are terrible, haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. I've tried with/without a cab (reactive load) and they all sound like a wah pedal is on cocked wide open.

• I suggest, you solve that issue then. Creating Direct Profiles is a proven concept. All Merged Rigs are based on those and highly respected.

Have you consulted the Profiling Guide? You must use a cabinet to create a Direct Profile, no load box. And the DI box needs to meet criteria like sound-neutral, no cab simulation, capable to be plugged between power amp and cabinet.

• I suggest, you solve that issue then. Creating Direct Profiles is a proven concept. All Merged Rigs are based on those and highly respected.

Have you consulted the Profiling Guide? You must use a cabinet to create a Direct Profile, no load box. And the DI box needs to meet criteria like sound-neutral, no cab simulation, capable to be plugged between power amp and cabinet.

Yes followed the profiling guide. I tried first with the Load box and no cab and read that was not recommended so i also tried with a DI box and a cab attached and i got a profile, but terrible ones. Actually clean ones were ok, but distorted ones sound terrible. It's a similar sound to a lot of bad sounding profiles on the RE, so i must be doing a similar thing wrong as many. Currently i have a relatively cheap DI I got for testing at guitar center, i've thought about getting the actual Kemper one or the Countryman DI at some point but it hasn't been a top priority right now.

• Are you aware, how distorted amps sound without a guitar cabinet? Direct Profiles are meant to be played through a neutral power amp and a physical guitar cabinet. You seem to own an unpowered Profiler. How are you monitoring the sound of the Direct Profile?

• Are you aware, how distorted amps sound without a guitar cabinet? Direct Profiles are meant to be played through a neutral power amp and a physical guitar cabinet. You seem to own an unpowered Profiler. How are you monitoring the sound of the Direct Profile?

Yes i'm quite aware of the sound. If i'm playing DI profiles i run them through either a Carver Solid State poweramp or my Fryette PS2...normally into a 1x12 bogner cabinet. I also have a few 4x12's but not upstairs where my kemper is currently. When i get a chance i will try another DI profile and make a clip with an IR or cab from another rig.