GSP1101 just became my #1 choice for live gigs...

• Sorry Kemper community but the GSP1101 just won my heart. For several reasons.

I've tinkered with it for a while (wading through a lot of Impulse Responses) and finally got an INCREDIBLE sound out of it.
    Here I'm playing a couple of riffs from the latest Judas Priest album:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Now the main reasons for "going GSP" is the following:

1. Kemper is expensive. A Digitech GSP1101 costs almost nothing in comparison. I don't wanna risk my Kemper on the road
    2. Thanks to the price of it, we can actually fit our ENTIRE live-rig in a 3U rack. With that I mean 2 guitars and 1 bass through 3 GSPs. I have actually a couple of extra used GSPs on the way home right now!
    3. And yeah... Just listen to it. With the right IRs and settings it sounds freaking amazing.

I WILL MAKE A PROFILE OF IT AND SHARE IT SOON!

• HAha yeah I know it's a ca 10 year old piece of gear but with the inofficial updates with IR support it holds up today!

I'm gonna upload Kemper profile of it soon!

Here's a comparison.
    The Kemper seems to got a little better definition so thats cool, but also, a slight lack of lowend, which... we have debated endlessly so please dont go too much into it :saint:

But it sounds pretty good, its a more "mix friendly" tone overall, rather than "good on its own and need lot of post EQing"

In the end I'm happy with the Kemper profile and I'll use it a lot at home I think :)

• @Cederick There once was a "trick" to get even "better" (clearer) sounds out of the unit. Don't know which firmware this was working. But try to move the compressor modul (turned off) to post-amp position (and leave it turned off!).
    This was at the time noticable affecting tone.

Nowadays I am using a cheap Digitech RP360XP (also with Kemper for effects), which is basically a slightly updated GSP1101, but does not support IR. Sounds great too (I am using Two Notes Torpedo Cab) when you know how to set up (set to mixer mode...).

• Before the Kemper and Eleven Rack, I had an RP1000; the pedal version of the GSP1101.
    It sounded really good for modern and hard rock at that price and I used it for a couple of years.
    It never worked for the vintage sound I wanted so I moved on.

Your clips sound great!

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Likewise, i came, from the GSP. Amazing bit of kit in the "pre-kpa" era, so much so, i owned two at one point. Not sure if you can buy them new nowadays but would imagine they still hold a bit of value and are sought after. The c63 firmware was the biggest plus allowing your own cab IRs to be loaded. If i recall correctly, you have to load the cab IRs in one at a time and the you are limited to ten. Saving/exporting a preset does not transfer the cab IR but instead refers to the cabs held in memory. (Correct me if im wrong) Also the IRs were truncated to a fit within a fixed size/length, which could alter the sound slightly in some cases. i got the best from my gsp after getting my kpa by learning and playing around with cab IRs. It travels with me as a backup. Nice fx and boot time is near instant. Cant say i've used it much since owning the kemper but not ready to sell it yet!

External Content youtu.be

• I had one of those, they are really cool for the money! And have an editor, and it’s own footpedal. I know they had a site for updates beyond the manufacturer, a good option for many if you have a limited cash flow. Real easy to use.

• had one myself for years , used in 4CM with a diezel dmoll head ... at the end just plain gsp C63 and powersection of the diezel... the control2 pedalboard impressive as well ...

Really a shame they never got a successor

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• We had our first rehearsal yesterday and I decided to film it... It's a "virtual multicam" setup because I only have one camera :thumbup:
    Basically we played the song three times. Basically I chose the drum tracks from filming the drummer, my guitar track from filming me and the vocals/2nd guitar when filming the singer/2nd guitarist, obviously.

The bass player didn't have time to attend yesterday, so we played a prerecorded bass track through the Cymatic Live Player LP-16, which also functions as MIDI automation for our Digitech GSP1101 guitar/bass rig.

I do not have a full time line-up for this band at the moment, but I have a few hired guns for this years gigs:

Philip Forsell (Antham) on vocals
    Daniel Sjögren (Twilight Force / Bloodbound) on drums
    Jimmy Mattsson (Isole / Ereb Altor) on bass (obviously not around in the video)

External Content www.youtube.com

Mixed this very quickly this morning so don't expect perfect mix but it works I guess! :thumbup:

• Have no idea what BV is tho ?(

EDIT: backing vocals? Yeah, I have told him to power-up because thats not gonna cut live. He's just mumbling :thumbup:

I try to have more volume but my issue is that almost all vocal lines in most Blazon Stone songs are sung in a mid-range I have no power in.
    It's alays in my break between head/chest voice... And I have had this discussion a million times with unaware people, so please dont suggest "practicing" because I have tried for years without overcoming that break.

Every singer has a break between head/chest voice and I'm no different. I cannot defy physics.

• Of course, the thing is that people go into their shells live to some degree or another, so whatever effort he's putting in at rehearsal, I've found typically gets reduced by 20->50% live.

So, the idea is obviously to get him to really crank his vocals out (and get used to doing this) at rehearsal, so that the effort reduction live will not matter so much.

You've gigged. You know this stuff. ;)

• I do!

I'm the reverse tho, I rock out as much as I can live :thumbup:

The singer may not appear as much in the rehearsal clips either but he's great on stage.

External Content www.youtube.com

I've seen his bands live a few times so there's a reason why I have asked him to join in this years gigs, or until we find a "full-time" replacement for our last vocalist.
    :thumbup:

• I've found that a few phrases here and there, at all times of the day, do the job.

Think of a melody or feel like improvising over an ad on the TV? Just sing a few phrases.

Because there's no warm up, you don't push hard; it's just a way of keeping your vocal chords "tuned" and "in touch" with what's in your head at any time.

Works for me at any rate. It's my "lazy-man's way" of practicing.