Midi Program Change with the Remote

• Hi
    i do not have the remote, instead i use a midi switch where i can choose Midi Program Change numbers

for instance if i choose

25, 26, 41, i have marshall's jcm 800

11, 12, 21, 22, i have clean tones such as Vox, Fender, Dumble

i do not like for my use to assign performance banks, i prefer the midi numbers to be assigned to a rig and i am good in memorizing then, also i am using a boost at Slot A in case of needing more sustain and increasing the lead level

i know there is a lot of switchs that can do this, but if the remote could, i would buy one to have the looper functions and other awesome features that the remote can do

thanks
    Claudio

• The Remote can only send MIDI program changes to external gear and only if you use the Profiler in perform mode.
    Since the Browse mode does not have a fixed order of rigs you need to assign the rigs you want to use to the favourite list and then add a leading number to the name of each rig and sort the favourite list by alphabet in order to always have the same rig being recalled by the same switch on the Remote.

• The Remote can only send MIDI program changes to external gear and only if you use the Profiler in perform mode.
    Since the Browse mode does not have a fixed order of rigs you need to assign the rigs you want to use to the favourite list and then add a leading number to the name of each rig and sort the favourite list by alphabet in order to always have the same rig being recalled by the same switch on the Remote.

yeah, thanks, it is a way but it would be more simple and usefull for me if i could also have a way to send the Midi program changes internally too...

ayway thanks for the reply i will think about that...

• The Remote is no MIDI footcontroller and doesn't send MIDI. Its level of bi-directional integration is superior to anything that MIDI could deliver. Regardless if you intervene via Remote or edit on the front panel of the Profiler, the Remote always reflects the current state without requiring any programming.

Instead of assigning for example MIDI program change #4 to a Rig, you select that Rig into Slot 4 of Performance 1, which has the program change #4 preassigned. You could keep memorizing numbers. But I think remembering Performance Names and Slot Names - which you can assign flexibly - is more meaningful. The Performance Name could reflect the name of a song and the Slot Name a musical scene like Intro or Solo. Or you organize clean tones in Performance 1 named "Clean Tones" and crunch tones in Performance 2 "Crunch Tones" and the Slots could carry the names "Vox", "Fender", "Dumble". What is the advantage of numbers, if you could have meaningful names? Instead of having to memorize #7 is clean tone Fender Twin, you see Clean Tone and Fender Twin on the display.

You can use the Remote to navigate through Slots and Performances. Or you can use any MIDI footcontroller. Which effects you add in which Slot and in which order is up to you. And there are ways to switch these on and off and control these via expression pedal(s). Both can be achieved via Remote and MIDI.

• The Remote is no MIDI footcontroller and doesn't send MIDI. Its level of bi-directional integration is superior to anything that MIDI could deliver. Regardless if you intervene via Remote or edit on the front panel of the Profiler, the Remote always reflects the current state without requiring any programming.

Instead of assigning for example MIDI program change #4 to a Rig, you select that Rig into Slot 4 of Performance 1, which has the program change #4 preassigned. You could keep memorizing numbers. But I think remembering Performance Names and Slot Names - which you can assign flexibly - is more meaningful. The Performance Name could reflect the name of a song and the Slot Name a musical scene like Intro or Solo. Or you organize clean tones in Performance 1 named "Clean Tones" and crunch tones in Performance 2 "Crunch Tones" and the Slots could carry the names "Vox", "Fender", "Dumble". What is the advantage of numbers, if you could have meaningful names? Instead of having to memorize #7 is clean tone Fender Twin, you see Clean Tone and Fender Twin on the display.

You can use the Remote to navigate through Slots and Performances. Or you can use any MIDI footcontroller. Which effects you add in which Slot and in which order is up to you. And there are ways to switch these on and off and control these via expression pedal(s). Both can be achieved via Remote and MIDI.

yes got it, i guess it is a matter of get used to it, names are more meaningful yes...

thank you for your attention and explanation

• If you are ready to leverage the capabilities of the Remote you soon won't be missing MIDI program change numbers:-)

Hi Burkhard!

I have asked Christoph many times for the Remote to start sending MIDI CC internally. Since the first day it was announced.
    He has always said the same things you mention.

But there are two reasons I never use my Remote.
    1. I does not work well in Browse mode and I love the way my workflow allows me to to do everything I want to do.
    2. For the occasions I consider working in Performance mode, I get so extremely annoyed that the changes that I make to a Rig in a Performance slot ISN'T save in the rig in the Browse mode.

Now can I interpret what you wrote as a sign of change coming "soon" or do you mean that if I stop using my efficient workflow and need to save all my rigs in two places and learn to go with a less efficient workflow, then I will "soon" be happy?

To show how serious I am regarding this issue, when my old MIDI controller broke down not long ago, I bought a brand new Rocktron MIDI Raider even though I have an almost unused Remote sitting in the wardrobe. Just because I really value my workflow.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Now can I interpret what you wrote as a sign of change coming "soon" or do you mean that if I stop using my efficient workflow and need to save all my rigs in two places and learn to go with a less efficient workflow, then I will "soon" be happy?

I think that what he meant was that as soon as i start to use the performance mode within the Remote i will not miss my old midi numbers system

fact is that i like the "midi numbers"because my jams are mostly improvisation with old friends and we like to use lots of different profiles (60) and numbers are easy to switch

i got some latency with my actual midi controller that i do not have using a rig up rig down switch

hope that other midi controllers are fast than this my actual one

but i am considering the Remote too, it is amazing, does not require power supplies, but to send Midi Numbers internally would be neat feature too!

i cannot give a good opinion about the remote as i do not have it yet but i think that maybe i can get used to performances too...

anyway i appreciate that kemper staff kindly responded my thread and i am glad that they exposed their opinion, also glad that you Mats_Nermark also consider the same efficient workflow that i do, means i am not the only one... i like this many perspectives that Kemper is generating...

And if i rooked the Remote with a midi cable but instead of doing that to an external gear, may be plug back to kemper midi input and would work despite of using an extra cable? maybe a solution for these case? sound ridiculous i know... but i wonder if can work or not? anyway it is only in performance mode, but ok was just an extra thought, working the other way with names may be more simple in this case...

• The Profiler only sends MIDI program changes in Perform mode. All you would create would be a loop of MIDI program changes if you connect the MIDI Out to the MIDI in.
    Using the perform mode offers several advantages for live performance. I can only recommend to check it out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Using the perform mode offers several advantages for live performance. I can only recommend to check it out.[/media]

If I played more live I would probably follow your advice.
    But as I mostly work in studio surroundings, I reside in Browse mode and need MIDI from the Remote to the KPA.

Cheers,

Mats N

• And the Remote is no MIDI foot controller! However, you are free to use whatever foot controller you prefer. The Profiler can receive MIDI.

Hi Burkhard!

I know it's not a MIDI Controller. But it was my hope that it could send MIDI PC commands to the KPA. It can't and I accept that even though I find it strange that it doesn't allow for that basic functionality.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Hi Burkhard!
    I know it's not a MIDI Controller. But it was my hope that it could send MIDI PC commands to the KPA. It can't and I accept that even though I find it strange that it doesn't allow for that basic functionality.

Cheers,

Mats N

I second that, kemper is very friendly to old switchs, using our old midi controller as in my case is very simple, but i would like to have the cool and powerfull Kemper Remote, use all the looper functions and have that cool looking futuristic controller,

that would be a little expensive for not being able to use the browser mode, anyway it is a simple function, maybe consider that to a future update would not be bad or extremelly complicated

i know my "gas" and as soon as i found a good Remote with a good price here at Brazil maybe i will buy it, but by now i am going to continue using my midi controller that is working well for me.

thank you very much
    Claudio

• Driving like a Volkswagen Beetle is not a basic functionality for a Porsche 967:-)

Memorizing that MIDI PC # 17 stands for "Vox AC30 clean" isn't easier than memorizing that "Vox AC30 clean" stands for "Vox AC30 clean".

And if you mark those Rigs you want to use in Browser Mode as your Favorites, change the View to Favorites, then determine the order of the Rigs inside that View (Sorted by Name, by Amp, By Gain,....) you can load those Rigs via Remote in Browser Mode. It's predictable without the need to assign numbers.

But with a MIDI footcontroller PC numbers can be assigned and used.