Stereo Doubling Effect

• Hi guys,

I'm still fairly new to the KPA having had it for around 1 month. I've watched all the tuition videos a few times and read both the short manual and the deep dive reference manual.

My impression so far is "oh my god this thing is amazing"!

It seems to be able to do everything , and more. However, the way you achieve the desired end result isn't always obvious if you think in a traditional way. Which brings me to my question.

I want to achieve a stereo doubled effect/ I.E. Dry signal hard left and delayed signal of around 30ms panned hard right. I can't seem to figure out how to do it though. I am sure I must be missing something blindingly obvious but can't think what it is.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks

• Thanks.

I think that's the Micro Pitch effect but it doesn't seem to allow panning or control over the delay length.

I'm currently trying to find two types of sound.

1) doubling based around hard panning and a short delay c.30ms.

2) hard panned reverb. Like the early Van Halen albums where the guitar is hard left and the reverb for it is hard right but can't seem to figure it out.

• Try the Air Chorus which nails the JC 120 chorus (which is one stereo channel unaltered, the other channel delayed and detuned)

Thanks Ingolf.

I just tied that but it still seems to send the effected sound in stereo to both sides and doesn't offer control of the delay time. I just tested it by setting depth to 10 and muting each side of the signal independently. The modulation is clearly audible on both sides.

The effect I am trying to create is just like a simple double tracking based on a super short delay rather than modulating the delay signal. If I was to do it in Logic I would achieve it by panning the dry track hard left and busing the signal to an aux track with 100% wet signal and a 30ms delay which I would pan hard right.

If I try to pany the signal in the KPA using Panorama it seems to pan both the dry and wet signals but I can't see how to pan them independently in the effect blocks. I am sure there must be a simple way to do it but, as with many things in the KPA, it is probably achieved in a slightly counter intuitive manner that suddenly makes sense when someone tells how to do it. :)

• Hi,

i don't think you can do this in the way we normally would in a DAW style routing. I don't know of any way to pan the dry signal across the stereo field.

Only thing I can think of is using the quad delay. This has the ability to feed four delay lines across the stereo field at different levels. Mix would have to be 100% wet (not sure if this can be done i.e no dry) and then just have volume off on 3/4 delay lines and pan 1/2 hard left and right with delay of 30ms on one of them.

Hypothetical as I'm not near the KPA but will have a play in the morning.

Si

• I’m sure you know why you want the amp to do that, but I’m not sure why.

Things like the Van Halen record with the guitar on one side but its reverb on the other are MIXING choices they made at the desk.
    Obviously no guitar amp does that.

As far as a doubling effect , I suppose you could set one side of a stereo delay to 0 delay and the other to 30 msecs.

But I’d have to sit in front of the Kemper to see if that’s easy.

• The stereo delay requirement is absolutely a normal one. Remember the old way of doing stereo delay was to use a stereo DD and send the delayed signal to a separate amp.

I can't think of a way to do that exact thing with the KPA other than making one of your outputs dry and the other one wet and panning them at the desk. That will limit other stuff though.

Maybe send a third output to the desk so the engineer has access to your dry amp tone and the stereo pair?