direct vs studio profiles.

• Hey Guys,

I recently bought some nice packs and noticed I'm having issues with the direct amp profiles.

So the pack contains studio profiles with sound awesome. but don' translate so well to my 4X12 Fyette cab.

now there are also direct amp profiles included but these sound really dull and lifeless. on my cab.

How do you guys go about creating profiles that sound good on your cab and also for the FOH/ studio?

Thanks!

• I'm suggesting to use Merged Profiles and deactivating the cab globally for the Monitor Out (same signal as the Speaker Out) with the "Monitor Cab Off" tick box.

Then you'll send the Studio Profile to FOH (Main Outs) and can use the dedicated Monitor Output EQ to adjust for your cabinet (Speaker Out), while having an authentic raw amp sound.

• I'm suggesting to use Merged Profiles and deactivating the cab globally for the Monitor Out (same signal as the Speaker Out) with the "Monitor Cab Off" tick box.

Then you'll send the Studio Profile to FOH (Main Outs) and can use the dedicated Monitor Output EQ to adjust for your cabinet (Speaker Out), while having an authentic raw amp sound.

Maybe I misunderstand your comment, but does it mean that merged profiles are better than studio profiles in general?

• does it mean that merged profiles are better than studio profiles in general

From my (admittedly limited) understanding - no. They are just different. The Direct profiles don't necessarily allow you profile the speakers effect on the amps output load (speaker damping) wheres as studio profiles do capture this. However, Direct profiles know exactly which part of the sound is amp (all of it) while switching off the cab portion of a studio profile requires the KPA to estimate which part is amp and which part is speaker. It seems to do a pretty good job of this but it won't be the same as profiling just the amp on it's own. Try both and decide which works best to your own ears.

• Merged profiles are not sonically better.

A studio profile is a single entity that contains the amp + cab. You can turn off the cab or add a different can however the KPA is guessing (intelligently!) the contribution the cab makes as it can't know.

With a merged profile the amp/cab delineation is known due to the process and hence if the cab is disabled or changed then theoretically it should be more accurate.

I've tried changing cabs with both types and have got great results so theory is just theory sometimes!

Hope this helps.

Si

• Just to complement that information:

If you compare Studio Profile and Merged Profile overall (including the cabinet simulation) via studio monitors, PA, or in-ears there is absolutely no difference.

There is only a difference, if you activate "Monitor Cab. Off" and compare the sound via a physical guitar cabinet. In this scenario the Direct Profile, which is embedded in the Merged Profile takes affect. The Direct Profile reflects the amplifier very accurately. However, it's still possible, that in a particular case you like the sound of the Studio Profile with Monitor Cab. Off through your physical guitar cabinet more.

• Use merged or di profiles if you running into a guitar cab that way the front of house can get the cab emulation and your guitar cab will have the same tone that is being sent out of the original guitar head instead of splitting the studio profile. Sounds and feels allot better IMO

• Use merged or di profiles if you running into a guitar cab that way the front of house can get the cab emulation and your guitar cab will have the same tone that is being sent out of the original guitar head instead of splitting the studio profile. Sounds and feels allot better IMO

So, direct profiles are to be used with a real cab and studio are ready to go in the box? Is that right