Problems using Kemper through a guitar cab

• Hi Forum how are you doing.
    I couldn't be happier with Kemper, I use it a lot in the studio and had to put to rest several amps!

However I use it in the studio, never used it live and I want to start doing it and I'm getting a bit of a problem.

Can't seem to get soudns out of it.
    I configured the outputs but, the sounds come clean, like the guitar passes through.

Can anyone help me configuring it so I can use it with a traditional guitar amp?

Thanks!!!!!!!

• From @Tritium

For the powered Kemper units, the Monitor Output is connected in parallel with the Speaker Output, and carries the exact same signal that will be amplified by the built-in poweramp, and sent through the Speaker Output jack. Therefore, when you have "Monitor Cab Off" selected (to disable the Cabinet profile) in the Output menu, it will be disabled on both the Monitor Out and Speaker Out jacks.

If you want to send the full Studio Profile (with Cabinet Profile) to the Mixer / Front-of-House PA, then you will use the Main Output for that signal. At the same time, you can run a powered (amplified) signal from your Kemper to a traditional, passive guitar cabinet using the Speaker Output jack. In this scenario, you will want to select "Monitor Cab Off", to disable the cabinet profile on the Speaker Out signal, which is being sent to your traditional guitar cabinet.

Cheers, and thanks goes to John for this explanation! ;)

• Thanks for the explanation on Cab sim variations, but sadly that's not the issue.
    The complete rig is not sounding.
    Whatever option on Monitor Output I choose, the clean direct guitar is sounding.
    No profiles or even effects are sounding.
    Could be another kind of configuration?

• Thanks for the explanation on Cab sim variations, but sadly that's not the issue.
    The complete rig is not sounding.
    Whatever option on Monitor Output I choose, the clean direct guitar is sounding.
    No profiles or even effects are sounding.
    Could be another kind of configuration?

Linoeventual, it sounds like some setting is mussed up in the Output menu. I recommend you try re-setting your KPA to factory default Global settings. From page 191 of KPA Reference Manual:

Unexpected behavior
    In case any inputs or outputs don’t operate as you would expect, or you experience any other unpredicted behavior,
    the soft button “Init Globals” in the System Settings will reset most global parameters in the System Settings and
    Output Section as well as all Lockings to their default state. This way, you are always able to recover a defined state
    of settings. Your stored Rigs, Presets, Performances, and Slots won’t be impacted by this reset.

Cheers.,
    John

• Thanks I have Thanks for the explanation on Cab sim variations, but sadly that's not the issue.

tried it and it works the same.
    Just for the record, here's the chain-setup :

- Guitar cable from guitar to front input
    - Speaker cable from Speaker output to 2 x 12 cabinet input
    - In the OUTPUT SECTION , MONITOR OUTPUT is settled to Git+Studio or Git+Processing.
    - Any other choose of output doesn't get to sound
    - The sound at the cabinet is just clean direct guitar, no efect or amp/cab combinations will occur and also not volume knob will make changes.

I'm really lost

• Hello Linoeventual,

I am not sure what is going on. Did you follow the exact procedure for re-setting / re-intialinzing the Global (Output) settings, as described in the manual? Because, the default setting for your KPA's Monitor Output (which is the the same as the Speaker Output connection on a powered Kemper) should be MASTER MONO, and certainly not Git+Studio or Git+Processing. Try setting your Monitor Output setting to Master Mono.

P.S. -- that is definitely the problem. Git+Studio or Git+Processing is going to give you a dry, DI instrument signal, useful for reamping. No wonder you are getting a clean guitar signal.

I recommend you read pages on the Output/Master section of the Reference Manual, starting on page 39.

Also, please confirm you have a powered Kemper, and are connecting your guitar cabinet to your powered Kemper's SPEAKER OUTPUT jack, and that you have the built-in poweramp enabled (turned on).

Cheers,
    John

P.P.S -- Can you clarify exactly what you mean when you write:

Can anyone help me configuring it so I can use it with a traditional guitar amp?

Do you mean a traditional, passive guitar speaker cabinet...or do you mean an actual powered guitar amplifier. If it is the latter, then I presume it is a combo amp that has an FX Loop, in which case you would be connecting to the FX RETURN of your combo amp, connecting via your powered Kemper's Monitor Output Jack Whatever you do, DO NOT use the SPEAKER OUTPUT from a powered Kemper unit into the circuit of any powered device.

Edited 7 times, last by Tritium ().

• Sounds as if your Rig Volume is cranked down. In that case you have no sound except, if you select Git Studio and Git+Processing as Output Sources. Init Globals only resets global settings, Rig Volume is none of those.

Or you have engaged - and perhaps locked - an Effect Loop in one of the Modules A-D and nothing is physically connected, so that the signal is cut between Send and Return. Again, no global setting.

Check the Volume Pedal controller. At which level is Volume Pedal in the System Settings? Those two Output Sources are not impacted by Volume Pedal.

The fact that Git+Processign works doesn't speak for a hardware issue. You need to narrow in and try more things:
    You are only referring to the Speaker Output. What about other outputs e. g. Headphone Output?
    Which input are you using= Have you tried the other instead (Alternative In or Front Input with Input Source set accordingly)?
    Does the issue affect all Rigs, Browser Mode and Performance Mode,....?
    Any remote control equipment connected?

• Hello Burkhard,

Now I am confused. The OP (linoeventual) has complained about a clean, DI sounding guitar signal coming out of his Monitor Output connection. On his subsequent post (post #6) he replied that he had the Monitor Output setting configured for "Git+Studio or Git+Processing". That would seem to be the answer as to why he is getting a clean, DI signal, no??

I am not sure why his Monitor Output is configured that way, and I advised him to set it for Master Mono.

In any event, i am confused as to how the "re-Initalize Globals" in the System Settings operates. Isn't it supposed to return all the Output settings to factory default state? If not, what is the procedure to return you Kemper input/output settings to factory default (as built and shipped) state? Because, IMHO, his Monitor Output setting shouldn't be set up to output a clean, DI guitar signal.

Cheers,
    John

• Perhaps I misinterpreted, what @linoeventual meant with

"Tried it and it works the same (referring to the suggested Init Globals)

- In the OUTPUT SECTION , MONITOR OUTPUT is settled to Git+Studio or Git+Processing.
    - Any other choose of output doesn't get to sound"

and looked for reasons, why there would be no signal with any other Output Source. That's what my hints are referring to.

After an Init Globals - which he confirmed he did - the Output Source of the Monitor Output is always "Master Mono". There is no exception. I assumed he changed this again to "Git....", because there was no signal at all with "Master Mono". Otherwise why did he touch it again?

I think, answers to the questions I raised would help to clarify the situation.

Perhaps one more point: check, if Parallel Path is activated and its Mix.