“Best” or “Favorite” Free and Rig Exchange Profiles Only!

• Like the title implies! I've never seen a thread devoted to free profile goodies? We all have favorite commercial profile vendors that do amazing work but what about the other hidden gems among the thousands of RE offerings, rig packs, factory setting rigs, forum offerings, or wherever? I thought I'd be cool to have a thread devoted to just those; the ones you stumble upon and go... where the hell have you been all this time? ;) Anyways, you get the idea...

Some points to consider:
    Which guitars are you using with the profiles?
    What pickups are being used?
    Are you using any outboard effects?
    Did you tweak the profiles?
    What style/genre of music are you playing?

I started using three from the factory settings yesterday - very impressed!
    No tweaks, playing some rock riffs using my SG standard with 490R & 490T humbuckers :)

Ducked RotaTremVerb
    German Fuzz
    CK Rotary Speaker

Cheers!

Edited: "Free" ONLY - please and thanks. :thumbup:

• There've actually been quite a few "favourite Profile" threads, Shawn.

Can't remember any of the titles, but I seem to recall there being many aimed at certain genres, such as "favourite metal", "favourite rock", "favourite vintage rock" and so on. I think I've seen "blues", "country" and "fusion solo" as well.

• Great point, Paul!

That's probably one reason Shawn struggled to find the threads; so many of them have been moved to the 3rd-party-discussion sub-forum.

I'd actually make it, "FREE and Rig Exchange ONLY"; that way there's even-less chance folks will "misbehave".

The second someone starts ranting about a commercial pack or Profiler, the thread will be moved. The mods are all over this one, so IMHO the thread, like so many others, will be treading on thin ice from the get-go. We can't control others' postings, and all it takes is one person to "go there", something that has been quite-innocently-done in the past, and... viola! Thread moved.

• Not in front of my Rig Manager but, there's the obvious Rig Packs of course...

For Rock/Metal i would say some of Webb's Cameron profiles.

For edge of breakup, Jim Lill's Dr Z profiles (though you may have to register on his site or something, but was worth it for me back when i did it)

I can't think of too many RE profiles i go to that aren't freebies from the commercial profilers, Tim Owens were pretty good and some of the other prolific free profilers.

If you don't want to spend money there are surely enough to find from the commercial profilers free packs, the official Rig Packs and the ones i mentioned above. I'll probably update the list with a few when i'm in front of my system. When i first got my Kemper i was always looking for the more profiles the better, but now it's overwhelming, even when i buy packs, if there are too many profiles i get fatigued just trying to go listen to them and remember the best ones.

• Hi Don, yes of course. I was just thinking yesterday, man, I gotta spend some more time with my profiles and when I stumbled upon yours in particular, no word of a lie, a new tune just poured out with some lyrics! It's like it was always there just waiting to be discovered and I love it when that happens, it's quite special. The other two fit nicely with what i was doing, so I wanted to mention them to others. :thumbup:

I really hope this thread produces some new goodies and it stays on course. Thanks to you, D. Baldringer, B. Ruppert and C. Kemper for the great profiles and new tune! :)

Cheers,
    Shawn

• The second someone starts ranting about a commercial pack or Profiler, the thread will be moved. The mods are all over this one, so IMHO the thread, like so many others, will be treading on thin ice from the get-go. We can't control others' postings, and all it takes is one person to "go there", something that has been quite-innocently-done in the past, and... viola! Thread moved.

I think if it's so specifically stated that only free profiles should be listed, it would make much more sense for the mods to remove "misbehaving" posts that to move the thread ... let's hope they see it the same way ;)

By the way, what about profiles by commercial makers that are freely available, as part of a sampler pack, for example? I like and use a lot of them (and only pay if there is something really outstanding that I can justify spending my money for). One could consider talking about those as advertisement (you argue they are only posting those be to win customers for the paid pack) or as fair game to post them here (considering those threads are allowed to be posted in the Free Rigs forum, so they seem to be accepted as free profiles). To make it even more complex, there are some commerical profilers who will, additionally to their samplers, offer free profiles where there is no paid pack behind it, so you couldn't really count those as ads either. And what about rig packs? Those are as free as it gets but one could still easily argue those to be an advertisement for the profiler. Mods, clarification, please? :P

Okay, for those, who haven't been around too long, I'll list everyones favorite More Gain AC20 and the 1971 Golub Mars profiles (both to be found in the Rig Exchange or the factory content) and I'll add a vote to Tim Owens HAWP profiles. I'll hold back on the rig pack and sampler ones until I know whether or not posting these would push me into eternal hell ;) I use all profiles with Humbuckers, but with the clean profiles I like the tone of the middle position with the humbuckers split.

• Hi,
    really a good idea and a promising discussion.
    I'd like to add some rigs I found absolutely usable. It's been some time, though. Might be that I found most of them in the original factory content and did not look 'em up in the rig exchange.

1. MORGAN AC20 RMPACHECO
    2. FENDER BASSMAN 59 JOHNNY NAVARRO
    3. FENDER TINY FEET TAF
    4. MS BB KOSEFF BALLANTINE
    5. RIVERA THIRTY TWELVE HAYS
    6. EVH 5153 CLEAN AIR OLA ENGLUND
    7. FENDER VIBROKING CHADRIDES
    8. TWEN COMBO CLEAN BR. M. PAUSIO
    9. THE CHIEF DIRTY KEMPER AMPS
    10. AC15 HAYS (SOME OF THE SERIES)
    11. RAINHEART M.FRANZKOWIAK
    12 TWO ROCK JET MAYER TAF (I believe this was free)
    13. AC30 PURE BOY M. WIENSTROER
    14. FENDER TWIN 335 U. BOSSERT
    15. S.MEHL VINTAGE 50 2 M. WIENSTROER
    16. MARSHAL GOLUB MARKO (thanks Karajan to remind me of that "hammer")

Greetings
    Joachim

• I think if it's so specifically stated that only free profiles should be listed, it would make much more sense for the mods to remove "misbehaving" posts that to move the thread ... let's hope they see it the same way ;)

Indeed. That would be great. 8o

By the way, what about profiles by commercial makers that are freely available, as part of a sampler pack, for example? I like and use a lot of them (and only pay if there is something really outstanding that I can justify spending my money for). One could consider talking about those as advertisement (you argue they are only posting those be to win customers for the paid pack) or as fair game to post them here (considering those threads are allowed to be posted in the Free Rigs forum, so they seem to be accepted as free profiles). To make it even more complex, there are some commerical profilers who will, additionally to their samplers, offer free profiles where there is no paid pack behind it, so you couldn't really count those as ads either. And what about rig packs? Those are as free as it gets but one could still easily argue those to be an advertisement for the profiler. Mods, clarification, please? :P

Well, I think the line is pretty-clear - if a non-affiliated party posts about a free pack, fine, but a vendor's linking to a pack that effectively advertises his business will be viewed by the mods as "crossing the line", IMHO.

• MORGAN AC20 RMPACHECO

I can do it all with this one profile,, and I have,,,,it goes from super clean to big drive,, maybe not metal,, but I can always kik in my secret weapon,,
    This is my go to,,I could live with just this one,,,,, if I had to,,
    Thanks RM,,,, you nailed it,,so much I went out and bought the amp, its sitting in the studio,,Ha,,