SPDIF Reamp / Saffire Mix Control / ProTools First

• Hi Guys,

I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Audio Interface.

here are my setup for Saffire Mix Control for ReAmping:

Kemper Output Menue:

SPDIF Output Git / Stack

Everything works fine, i can record the DI Git (SPDIF left channel) and the Stack (SPDIF right channel)

But if I try to Reamp with the follwing settings it doesent work:

Reamp TRACK settings:

Kemper Setting:
    Input Source: SPDIF Input Reamp

Saffire Mix Control:
    SPDIF 1 ------> SPDIF Output one (as seen in saffire mix control picture)

ProTools First Settings:
    Input: SPDIF L/R Left channel
    Output: SPDIF L/R

if i record the ReampTrack it comes no signal as seen in the picture above

Maybe you can help me to fix this and make it work :)

• If you route your S/PDIF input to the S/PDIF output, you create a feedback loop which makes the Focusrite interface mute.
    In your interface, the output 5 is the S/PDIF output. I you have properly setup all inputs and outputs of the Focusrite in your DAW, then it should be DAW5 what you need to route to the S/PDIF output 1 in MixControl.

I confess it's a bit tricky to fully understand the routing capabilities in MixControl. But once you get the idea, you will be happy how versatile it actually is :)

Feel free to check my video, although I use Cubase. Shouldn't be a big problem to translate it to ProTools or any other DAW.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i change the settings in the mix control and it still dont work. in my DAW i have no other possibilieties to route the inputs and outputs as seen in this screenshot:

Inputs:

Outputs:

Saffire Mix Control ist setup to this now:

and still if i change the kemper input source to SPDIF input reamp it comes no signal

I watched your video a few days ago :) i dont know what to do now

• in the screenshot of your DAW in the first post, I can see that you route the S/PDIF Reamp track (where you want to record the reamped signal) to the S/PDIF output. This likely generates the feedback loop You want to route the output of this track to your regular stereo main out bus - Mon 1-2 (Stereo).

• I have change this also, but still no signal coming back from the Profiler to the ReAmp Track. If I hit record after I changed the input source from the profiler to SPDIF reamping. Looks like as the Focusrite Interface dont send the Signal into the Kemper.. maybe we can talk to each other via telephone, i come from Germany near Munich.

Sorry, i tried everything but i dont get the reamp done. Dry Signal and AMP Signal recording works well

• I read also your link before and I dont know what i have to change in mix control. I see the signal comes but it not works to pass it on the spidf outputs and this is why the proiler not play backs the ramping track.... Have tried everything but it dont works. maybe protools first is not able to pass the signal correctly to the right mix controll output.... as everything was routed as it should work this was my only eplanation why it not works

• Now it works.... very tricky but with the following settings it works

Input SPDIF Left (DRY Signal)
    Output SPDIF L/R

SPDIF Right (Stack)
    Output SPDIF L/R

Reamping:
    Input SPDIF Right
    Output Mon 1-2

When i switch the Kemper to Input SPDIF Reamping and hit record the playback (Reamp Track) Works

As you can see the Reamp Track comes to Input DAW 1 and 2 on the Saffire Mix Control

• Glad you got it working. The routing in your DAW is really simple. The tricky part is to know that DAW5 corresponds with the S/PDIF Left output of your DAW ... with your specific interface.

Once you understand the principle, you can even assign DAW5 to a fader in MixControl and create a dedicated ReAmp mix .... and route this mix to the hardware output. Probably sounds confusing now but at some point you'll understand and use the added flexibility :) It's pretty powerful, this tricky tool called MixControl. ;)

• Glad you got it working. The routing in your DAW is really simple. The tricky part is to know that DAW5 corresponds with the S/PDIF Left output of your DAW ... with your specific interface.

Once you understand the principle, you can even assign DAW5 to a fader in MixControl and create a dedicated ReAmp mix .... and route this mix to the hardware output. Probably sounds confusing now but at some point you'll understand and use the added flexibility :) It's pretty powerful, this tricky tool called MixControl. ;)

I think i understand... in my example i can take a mix fader, name it ReampMix and then send "ReampMix" to the Kemper via SPDIF 1 output. This is the same as as i route DAW5 to the SPDIF 1 output.

Yes... it costs me round about 8 hours and some grey hairs but, not it works and during the try & error process i think i learned a lot about Mix Control and DAW routing and inputs and outputs...

thanks for your help :)

• ... This is the same as as i route DAW5 to the SPDIF 1 output.

Yes, it's almost the same ... but it opens up lots of added possibilities in an easy way. For example, have you ever used the Profiler as an effects unit for vocals or for mic'ed acoustic guitar? With a dedicated MixControl mixer assigned to the hardware S/PDIF output, it's very easy to send a microphone to the Kemper which allows you to add delay, reverb. chorus, pitch effects, EQ, compressor and all the good stuff of the Profiler to your signal chain. Even distortion can be interesting (e.g. if you have a keyboard connected to your interface and you want to add some nice grit and/or rotary/flanger effect to a clean hammond organ sound).
    Nobody likes to mess around with cables all the time, the MixControl mixer makes it fast and easy to use the Kemper with pretty much everything you want. And there's no Kemper-Police that checks that you only use the Profiler with guitars/basses. And there's no obligation to always have the amp/cab block enabled. ;) Have fun!

• Yes, it's almost the same ... but it opens up lots of added possibilities in an easy way. For example, have you ever used the Profiler as an effects unit for vocals or for mic'ed acoustic guitar? With a dedicated MixControl mixer assigned to the hardware S/PDIF output, it's very easy to send a microphone to the Kemper which allows you to add delay, reverb. chorus, pitch effects, EQ, compressor and all the good stuff of the Profiler to your signal chain. Even distortion can be interesting (e.g. if you have a keyboard connected to your interface and you want to add some nice grit and/or rotary/flanger effect to a clean hammond organ sound).Nobody likes to mess around with cables all the time, the MixControl mixer makes it fast and easy to use the Kemper with pretty much everything you want. And there's no Kemper-Police that checks that you only use the Profiler with guitars/basses. And there's no obligation to always have the amp/cab block enabled. ;) Have fun!

Thank you for this nice tip and today i will play arround with mix control and kemper and SPDIF interface hardware output... :)