Gibson files for bankruptcy

• I read that Yamaha were interested. They could absorb the electronics division they bought from Phillips and just focus on making guitars.

I think Gibson is often an aspirational lifestyle brand for a lot of people. In the same way that Ferrari and Rolex are. Lots of people see a 59RI as the holy grail and something to aspire to. Having these cheap electroinics and 50 different budget Gibson lines actually diminishes their reputation, due to the poor quality control required to keep their costs down.

I think that if they are saved, and I hope they are, they just go back to making melody makers, specials and juniors as lower end models with a focus on playability and quality control, the SG and LP Standard in its mid range, and then the Customs for their higher end stuff and then a whole custom shop range with a focus on individual projects, vintage accuracy and more modern offerings like the Custom, Axcess or whatever. And then come out with a line of 57,58,59,60 signature reissues. Page, Keef, Clapton, Green etc.

You may think that this is what they have now but really they seem to have diluted their brand with a lot of cheap electricals and many similar guitar ranges and lost focus on what made their guitars lusted after in the first place.

• I'll pay 2 million in bonds to replace the Gibson CEO (dont let the door hit your ass on the way out)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I'll pay 2 million in bonds to replace the Gibson CEO (dont let the door hit your ass on the way out)

Ash

It’s gotta be a dead cert that he’ll be going if they get bought out. I can’t see anyone wanting him to stay on in an advisory role!

‘Yea just put a Floyd Rose on all the reissues!’

It’s a brand with great history, I hope they make it.

• Hate to be negative here, but expected this to happen a long time ago, all Gibsons I've tried out at stores in the past couple years in my opinion are overpriced junk..bad finishes etc, Be careful if you buy without trying..

• Hate to be negative here, but expected this to happen a long time ago, all Gibsons I've tried out at stores in the past couple years in my opinion are overpriced junk..bad finishes etc, Be careful if you buy without trying..

This has not been my experience at all! They have been making great guitars.
    Way too much Gibson bashing from people that have no clue

Their guitars have absolutely nothing to do with the bankruptcy. It was caused by Henry borrowing large amounts of money to acquire other companies that couldn't turn a profit. No profits=no way to pay back the lenders/bondholders.

• I bought the second least expensive GLP in 2015, for $900, it's pleked, has minimal aesthetics, it's freaking sweet!

I've had in the past a 1994 RI '60, Custom '84 Black Beauty (two pickups) Fretless Wonder - neither played or sounded as good as the 2015. Love the PLEK process.

I see countless Youtube videos trashing Gibson with little to backup their sensationalist review, just seems trendy now.

Fender bashing is probably next, except I have two 2017 Fender's that are so damn nice, I won't be able to participate in bashing them either.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I'm guessing that Guitar Center/Musician's Friend is Gibson's largest customer

and I read the other day that Guitar Center is on the verge of bankruptcy too.

I feel kind of like when the record companies started getting decimated by mp3s... Karma is a b*tch. Gibson has been charging premium prices while the quality was dropping. Guitar Center has questionable ethics towards employees and customers. I don't feel animosity towards either, but...