55 Tremolux

• Thank you so much, mr. KP mole.
    Well folks, it don’t get much better than this.
    If you’re into vintage tweed Fenders this is a pro studio grade
    profile of a stock unmolested Tremolux
    This is one that sounds best w git vol dialed back.
    Also takes some pedals well. Jan Ray for an example.

• Thank YOU for the feedback old crow!

FWIW, the full volume profile is very dirty sounding...but that's the way the amp sounds!

The back-story on the amp, is that I bought it in the late 80's at a time when tweed amps weren't particularly popular. The store where I bought it specialized in vintage gear, and at the time (for whatever reason) they actually had three tweed tremoluxes. I tried them out (they all sounded good) and one really stood out from the others. It was considerably more distorted at full volume, and had more sustain and compression, with a really percussive snappy attack. It was noticeably different from the other two which were cleaner sounding and more what you'd expect from a vintage tweed amp. I went to get a down payment from the teller machine, and when I arrived back at the store, the owner said he was hoping that I didn't come back...I could see that he had played around w/ the amps when I was gone and I believe he decided that it was a keeper after realizing how different it sounded from the others. Fortunately, he honored the terms of sale and a month later I paid it off ($400 total...I wish they were that price now!) and took it home.

Later I discovered the reason it sounded different was because the 55' circuit WAS different from the newer 56+ tweed Tremoluxes and had more breakup. There's also a good amount of speaker breakup with the original Jensen. It cleans up reasonably well by rolling back the volume on your guitar, and the half volume (volume on 6) profile I uploaded is a little bit cleaner than full volume example.

Hopefully some of you can find some use with the profiles and enjoy the amp as much as I do.

• This, right there, is why the Kemper is great - we all get the possibility to play profiles of real amps with real history and great stories behind! Thanks for sharing @KPmole !

• Thanks for these - the 1/2 power is very interesting. Anyone who finds these too quiet - just go into the AMP parameters and boost the volume - up to 12 dB and resave the profile.

Same goes for Grimoire's 5E3 Fender profiles - nice character but quieter (substantially) than most commercial profiles.

• Hi Antipodes!

I appreciate the feedback (still trying to get the hang of the profiler, and creation of profiles) but I'm confused on your comments.

I've been using the Kemper via SPDIF direct to my interface/DAW, which allows no control over volume from the Kemper...so I'm assuming that 0dB SPDIF out is = 0dB in. When I monitor the peak level meters, my profiles at the loudest peaks read around -6.3dB. I've got a couple of Top Jimi profiles, and they seem to typically peak around -7.8dB. In other words, my profiles appear to be slightly louder, not that that's a good or bad thing.

I'm just wondering if the lack of volume is due to objective perception, as the Tweed amps are very midrangey and lack some bass or treble punch that some of the other higher gain amps might have. Are you going by ears alone A/B'ing with other profiles, or do the levels seem low from the output of your Kemper? Is the amp parameter something that affects the analog output of the Kemper or rig profile, but has no affect on the SPDIF output?

Any feedback is appreciated. Like I said, I'm still learning on how to use the Kemper. I can set levels and record a guitar amp in the studio, but haven't experimented too much with rigs, etc...and I've been using SPDIF out exclusively (other than using the analog out to play though my monitors for practice).

From what I can tell, the levels are near perfect for SPDIF recording (I wouldn't want to have the SPDIF out any louder) but if I could tweak levels better on the Kemper end, I'd like to make the improvements.

Thanks!

• The volume setting I am talking about is in the deeper parameters of the AMPLIFIER section of a profile - I'll walk you through it - these details are worth knowing for anyone tweaking any profile.

If you hold down the AMPLIFIER button on the KPA (top left in the Stack area) you bring up all the parameters that apply to the currently loaded amp profile. You can step through the pages (3) and see all the parameters. The 1st page has - Definition, Power sagging, Pick and Compressor - the first 4 paramaters and they are mapped to the 4 rotary controllers under the graphical display.

Use the (right) page button to step to the 2nd page and you get Clarity, Tube Shape, Tube Bias and Direct Mix. Press the right page button again and you get to the 3rd page which only has Volume which is mapped to the right hand side rotary controller.

You can set a volume boost or cut of up to 12 dB and save it with the profile - either as a revision of the profile or as a new version with a new name (I often just put bst as a suffix to the existing name for ones that I have made louder).

This AMP volume is an inherent property of the profile and is completely independent of the playback volume controls. It gives you a way of volume matching profiles in a performance for example or for compensating for the fact that the profiling process has generated an undesirably loud or quiet profile.

If we had an editor on Mac or PC we could view all the parameters of a profile at a glance and mess with them to our heart's desire and save revisions off the KPA.

• @KPmole has a point though. If his input meter shows that his profile is not quieter through spdif into his daw, why are you pointing out his profile is overly quiet?

I think he’s just interested in why you’re finding a difference @Antipodes. :)

There seems to be quite a range of volumes for profiles. Some commercial packs have very quiet clean profiles and as the gain gets turned up the hotter profiles are progressively lounder. I use cleaner profiles quite a bit and often they are a little quieter than most - so I find myself cranking levels on my RME interface which is connected via SPDIF. This interface has the output level in dB relative to max output (00) displayed in on the front panel. Switch to a louder profile after cranking levels to accomodate a quieter one and you can get a nasty shock ;)

My comment wasn't a criticism - I was just exploring using the amp parameters to tweak the profile for my purposes. With my tele up to full volume this profile is not too quiet - the level is fine. However, I wanted to explore the cleaner end of this particular profile - backing off volume at the guitar and with the Compressor parameter at zero as the profile was saved, this profile was a little too quiet for me. I was also working with Grimoires 5e3 profiles from RE and they were - generally - cleaner and also pretty quiet. I shared that bit of advice in case anyone else wanted to adjust profile volumes in the way that had just worked for me.

After that, I saw that Don Peterson (mod) posted in the Champ thread:

"you guys probably already know this, but to make sure:

If you enjoy playing your amp/Profile wide open and use the volume
    control of your guitar to shape the sound, the 'Compressor' parameter in
    the AMPLIFIER section (page 1) was made with just this is mind. It
    helps to minimize the volume differences between dirty and clean sounds
    you create with the volume pot."

The approach Don is suggesting - crank the Compressor parameter to reduce the volume drop when backing off the guitar volume - is an even better solution for a profile like this which is fairly dirty at full guitar volume but cleans up with backed off instrument volume. With clean profiles - (Gain 0) you could go either way if you wanted them a bit louder - you could increase the volujme or increase the compressor parameter or experiement with a bit of both.

BTW - let me just add - this profile is really sweet with single coils and I really appreciate KPmole sharing it and the OP for drawing it to our attention.

• Thanks for the info! Yes, I was just interested in why there was a difference. Honestly, I haven't messed around with the volume on the amp parameters much, but I appreciate the information. I'll experiment more with it in the future.