Toast ME: the Unofficial Kemper Editor

• Thank you for your kind words. I still hope for an official editor... for now though, Damian's ToastME has saved the day!

and as i said before, even with an oficial editor probably ToastMe will be the only that is fully compatible with XP, Vista, windows 7 and all family... has many features and look nice...

• Lets not forget also how much Beta testing has been done by the community to get it to where it is now, Damien is always Fast to fix some thing. Companies can work with the community to beta test stuff (just saying)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I did notice little things like certain values are different on Toastme than on KPA like with the phaser vibe for example , but those are minor things. The editor is so useful

Still give a 2 big thumbs up for Damian who did this . Kemper should put him on their payroll

• Please help me - I’m probably missing something obvious!

I save presets for my entire effects blocks that I then apply to each amp. Is there a way to do this with Toast? I seem only to be able to access and save individual effects one at a time.

• Wow. Christmas comes early this year.

After getting acquainted with Rig Manager, a real time editor was the next thing on my wish list.

Thanks, Damian!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Toast me can handle only datas which are stored on the KPA.

There is no storage on the PC

Forgive the stupid question, but when you do a backup from Rig Manager, does that just back up what Rig Manager knows about on your PC, or is it backing up the data in the KPA?

• Neither.

It backs up the non-Rig-Exchange content that you've added to the app, Chris.

The KPA's content will only appear if it's connected and switched-on whilst the app is running, and it's gleaned from the unit at that time. You'll have to create a separate folder/s in the app and copy the KPA's Rigs / Performances to them in order for them to be backed up too.

• I'm not referring to data stored on the PC. What I mean is that on my Kemper I can push the stomps button and then save or load a "stomps preset" that covers all four stomps at once.

Hi,

Yes you are right. As for now, the retrieval and the saving of the ABCD-slot section (“Stomps-preset”) is not available yet in ToastMe due to a midi / sysex related bug in the Kemper itself. You should be able to retrieve all existing X MOD DELAY REVERB-Section presets with ToastMe by right clicking just left of the virtual x button (Check out my video on ToastME 1.39). Hopefully, with the upcoming release of KPA OS, this bug gets sorted so Damian can program the retrieval of Stomps-presets as well... Fingers crossed.

Kind Regards,

Tijl

• Neither.

It backs up the non-Rig-Exchange content that you've added to the app, Chris.

The KPA's content will only appear if it's connected and switched-on whilst the app is running, and it's gleaned from the unit at that time. You'll have to create a separate folder/s in the app and copy the KPA's Rigs / Performances to them in order for them to be backed up too.

Thanks, man. Knowing what to back up is as important as creating stuff.

• Totally, brother.

If you're as keen on it as I suspect you are, maybe consider replicating the folder structure you create in RM in the Finder or PC equivalent, and dragging all your Rigs to it in order to mirror what you do in the app. Zip it up and date it whenever you make significant changes.

• Yep, I'm exactly that OCD.

I'm running Windows 7, and the Rig Manager stores data in the C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager folder (the entire C:\Users\me tree gets backed up nightly). There you'll find the local library folder structures you mentioned replicated as you've set them up. However, rather than the .kipr files themselves, there are instead .db files.

I'm assuming the db files are indexed lookups that contribute to how fast the profiles load when you select a new one, since they load pretty darned fast. What's not clear to me is where the kipr files themselves are stored. I Googled last night but couldn't find that. I'm sure it's probably detailed in a forum thread or doc here somewhere if anyone can point me to it.

If for whatever reason the native kipr files aren't stored by the rig manager and only in a condensed manner in the repository files, then I'll do exactly as you suggested and just do some drag and drop maintenance in a backed up folder tree. Good idea, thanks man.

• Forgive the stupid question, but when you do a backup from Rig Manager, does that just back up what Rig Manager knows about on your PC, or is it backing up the data in the KPA?

The Toast Me programm has nothing to do with the Rig Manager.

At the moment the RM can only manage Rigs.

We hope that there will programm provided by Kemper to manage all presets (efect. cabs etc.) in the future.

The Toast Me programm is very helpfull to tweak with the datas are stored in the KPA.

• Downloaded Toast Me last night and will be installing today. It looks like a great addition to the environment.

At the moment it's the best you can get :)

It's free, but damien is polish and like to drink some beer sometime (as we austrian too) .

You could send him some virtually by klicking the donation field ;)

• At the moment it's the best you can get :)

It's free, but damien is polish and like to drink some beer sometime (as we austrian too) .

You could send him some virtually by klicking the donation field ;)

A guitarist / programmer who likes to drink beer and spends his nights slinging code for my benefit, out of the goodness of his heart?

How could you not buy a round for a guy like that? :)

• I've got things up and running, but after connecting and the progress bar working through the presets, I get the "dump length mismatch" error that was mentioned previously. In is case it went away by SFM but I've bounced the computer, the Kemper, burned incense and sacrificed chickens to no avail. The error is consistent.

The editor appears to work nonetheless, but if the checksum on the dump didn't match it doubtless means that there will be some data, somewhere, that's not happy. My MIDI communications with all other devices exhibit no signs of trouble so while it could always be cables / hardware, etc. there's no indication that anything's unhappy. Also, I have another Ctrlr based app for my JV-2080 and it also exhibits no signs of trouble.

The editor is just a nice to have thing in my case as I don't do much tone tweaking but thought it would be handy to keep me from walking into the other room, so the aforementioned bug is not a crisis.

Damian -

I pay the bills as a software developer (MS tech from the days of DOS / C to the current .NET stuff). Anything I can provide you with to aid in debugging I'm happy to do.

• I'm fishing for a solution and hope some of you might have one.

My environment is Windows 7, 64 bit. One of my use cases is running Cubase and ToastME at the same time but that's not possible because both do an exclusive open on the MIDI ports.

In the past, I've used Hubi's Midi Yoke, which allows you to set up a virtual port mapped to the physical one that multiple programs can talk to at the same time. However, that's pretty long in the tooth and apparently doesn't play nice with a 64 bit environment.

Anyone know of a more recent midi mapping program that provides this functionality?

• Solved the midi concurrency issue by just using two different midi devices and routing accordingly.

That said, after connecting Toast and failing on the initialization as mentioned previously (dump length mismatch), it apparently has an adverse effect on the state of the Kemper when trying to control things, e.g. the input source from input to reamp causes intermittent cutouts on playback. Not terribly surprising since the data syncronization didn't complete successfully. After shutting down Toast and rebooting the Kemper without connecting Toast it behaves properly again.

Really wanted to love Toast, and I salute Damian for spending his spare time writing it, but for my environment the best solution is to just bring the amp into the control room.

Many thanks for your efforts just the same, Damian!