Toast ME: the Unofficial Kemper Editor

• Solved the midi concurrency issue by just using two different midi devices and routing accordingly

I was going to suggest this, Chris.

I take it you have sound(!) reasons for remaining on Win7. OSX or a later version of Win shouldn't get in the way like that, I'd have thought.

• I was going to suggest this, Chris.

I take it you have sound(!) reasons for remaining on Win7. OSX or a later version of Win shouldn't get in the way like that, I'd have thought.

Very sound (!) reasons. In Windows 7, you can disable automatic updates and download them (or not) to install at your convenience. Murphy dictates that the update that hoses your environment will always happen on a day you don't have time to screw with it.

In Windows 10, you can no longer disable updates. You can defer them, but that just pushes the problem to a later date. Ultimately, Microsoft now installs what it wants, whenever it feels like it. And as the debacle with the recent October update (where it actually deleted people's data in the process), that's too high a risk factor for me.

The desktop version of Windows 10 doesn't do anything 7 didn't already do. Per usual MS style, they just put a coat of paint on it and moved things around. One day, I'll find myself needing software that no longer supports 7 and I'll have to figure out how to deal with it at that time. Until then, 10 doesn't come near any box on my network.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• On OSX I've always had the App Store and automatic updates disabled in Sys Prefs. I block the App Store with Little Snitch for good measure, but that's not even necessary. The only time I'm ever aware that an update to iTunes, the OS or whatever even exists is when I stumble across a discussion in a forum, and that's the way I like it. I don't wanna see alerts popping up for this, let alone have said updates forced upon me.

I'm actually shocked to hear that MS can force updates on a tech-savvy dude such as you in their more-recent versions of Windows. Totally sux, man, and thank you for the 'xplanation, Chris.

• I'm actually shocked the tech world didn't show up on their doorstep with torches and pitchforks. Apparently most people have a higher tolerance for such things.

• Oh don't get me started on MS and W10. Back when W10 was brand new I was a Windows kind of guy and felt it would be neat to give it a go. A forced update came in corrupted and bricked my hard drive, relieving me of a year's worth of album work. Cost me $1600 to have it recovered and that was after having a friend who actually IS a rocket scientist give it his best effort. May be an isolated incident but it made me a Mac user for life.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• You can disable Win10 updates, but they don't make it easy.

The best my research has turned up has been that they can be deferred for up to 90 days, but not flat out turned off. Beyond that it's down to hacking Windows, trying to block ports, etc., which is bound to end in tears.

If there's something new afoot that allows you to flat out disable updates, I'd be most grateful for a link to a tech article.

While it doesn't do anything for me that 7 doesn't already provide, I'm not opposed to the version, just the automatic updates. For me, that's a show stopper.

• Just disable the Windows Update service:

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/displa…ows+Updates+in+Windows+10

Thanks for the link. That's what I always do in 7, and then temporarily turn it on when I feel like doing updates and dealing with any resulting chaos. We tried that trick at work (I'm a software dev) when 10 first came out and it didn't succeed, but I can't remember why. That was a while back, and I've slept since then. Maybe they've relaxed things a bit (hopefully!).

Have a Surface Pro running 10 as part of my testing rig for work, think I'll try that and see if anything bizarre comes of it. I mean, you know, not that anything bizarre could happen with a Microsoft product...

• Thanks for the link. That's what I always do in 7, and then temporarily turn it on when I feel like doing updates and dealing with any resulting chaos. We tried that trick at work (I'm a software dev) when 10 first came out and it didn't succeed, but I can't remember why. That was a while back, and I've slept since then. Maybe they've relaxed things a bit (hopefully!).

Have a Surface Pro running 10 as part of my testing rig for work, think I'll try that and see if anything bizarre comes of it. I mean, you know, not that anything bizarre could happen with a Microsoft product...

Doesn't work at all on the tablet I use for tuning my car (the tune software is only available for Windows or I'd be using my Mac). I've had the update notification interrupt tuning sessions on the dyno. Not something one wants to have happen pushing 36psi of turbocharger boost pressure. I want to like windows still but I just can't.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• I have successfully disabled updates on my main Win 10 PC. It doesn't even nag me any more. Now if I could only remember how I did it.... One thing I know you CAN'T do is redirect a bunch of the M$ maintenance sites...they are actually hardwired into local DNS!

See https://www.petri.com/windows-…-specific-name-resolution

So you do indeed need to resort to blocking at firewall or router.

Absolutely disgraceful. Saving us from ourselves, and all that.

• That's consistent with my memory from early on, trying to block ports and all that. At that point I gave up the quest to disable it because I knew it would become the standard malware rat race. Find a port to block, MS changes stuff so the hack no longer works. Move on to the next port hack, rinse and repeat.

Just when you thought the rat race was over, along come bigger rats.

• Architectural changes in WinOS -> some light reading here https://www.amazon.com/Windows…eywords=windows+internals

Looks like an excellent read, thanks. I've been a Mark Russinovich fan since the pre-MS acquisition SysInternals days.

disable updates -> group policy

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that automatic updates can be disabled via a group policy? My understanding was that this wasn't possible. However, while my system administration skills are decent, it's not my primary thing and the corporate group policy stuff is a rabbit hole I've never been down.

• Hi everybody, I've successfully installed ToastMe in my mac and paired it with my Behringer umc204hd. It seems to work properly. I've also tryed to pair it using the midi interface of the HD500 but it's not listed in the Midi interfaces of the software. Is it because it's not compatible?

• Hi , quick question ...

If a certain rig has a lock somewhere , will it be shown on the editor or are these locks just to lock on-the-fly ?

Thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• You can't save a lock within a rig.

Let's say I lock a CAB block , when toastme loads the RIGS , will it show that that block has a lock on it ?

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp