Need Help: Loud Practice medium room setting

• So last night I brought the Kemper to band practice. I find this to be the area that I struggle with the most with Kemper.
    I just got the Kemper last week, but had Kemper 3 years ago and had teh same issues then.

Studio: awesome
    Live on a decent stage using guitar cab and di to house PA: awesome
    Loud Rock/Metal Band Practice in medium room on a guitar cab: not as good

It seems as though my actual amps can get much more gain and volume without feedback issues.
    Kemper can get the volume, but an "uncontrollable" aspect starts to kick in, it feels like I'm fighting to keep the ugly feedback away much more so than an amp

I had the noise gate around 5.5 and had a Gate in the stomp section as well for my high gain rhythm parts. I had it dialed in pretty good, but then the bass player turned up and when I tried to compete things got hairy scary

FWIW, I used the Butterslax in the free section. I remember this concern years ago, so it's likely not profile dependent.

Maybe I should have went with the ch2 Slax where the gain is at 2 oclock (as opposed to the Slax 3 gaon at 4 oclock. More volume usually mean less gain is needed on an amp....I needed to turn off the OD clean boost but still felt things were way hot.

I'm pretty sure these setting that failed would sound great at the home studio and on the big stage...but this one band jam environment i need to solve.

Any insight appreciated!

• ok, I've been jamming here at home and think I found a solution

The practice place in question has this slanted Marshall cab that surely has the dreaded t75s. Years ago, I played through better cabs and had similar issues, but right now that bright cab is a glaring concern.

I was flipping around and realized the Tills Recto would stand a much better chance. The Butterslax has those modern highs (kind of Fortin-ish in its attack which are usually awesome but just aren't translating well for this cab.

The Tills Recto is much thicker and smoother on the highs. I'll try that next week.

Should I have that Gate in the x slot? Right now I've had it in D as that's where I saw it on a modern metal profile somewhere. In tube amps, it would be the x slot. I may try that to see what happens.

• true, getting these gate levels sorted out is the key
    I think this issue is isolated to that medium sized jam room with loud rock/metal. At home, I can get stupid loud, no issues.
    But at rehearsal, it seems more susceptible/sensitive to picking up noise (drums, Bass, PA) through the pickup as compared to an actual amp. Weird

• true, getting these gate levels sorted out is the key
    I think this issue is isolated to that medium sized jam room with loud rock/metal. At home, I can get stupid loud, no issues.
    But at rehearsal, it seems more susceptible/sensitive to picking up noise (drums, Bass, PA) through the pickup as compared to an actual amp. Weird

Use good profiles ;)

There are profiles out there which are very noisy from the start and there are very silent ones from metalamps. I dont use the main gate. My gate is in slot A and never higher than 3.5, all is silent when not playing, also @ very loud level. The kpa isnt a feedbackmonster, because of that i use a digitech freqout to get sustain........

Try to use some Lars Lüttge or Guido Bungenstock free profiles from kpa stock ( rig manager).

• I would advise to try during the research on this place you will perform, test some multiple profiles that you like

darker ones, brighter ones, cleans, high gains

then choose the ones that are close to your studio or cabinet sound that you need

after this you may have several EQ ways to reach the tone since the speakers are not yours sound will vary

the amplifier or PA equalizator or the Cabinet Character parameter of your kemper will help you with this

also check your sound level, may vary so you can lock a boost of your preference at some Slot and engage it whenever you need...

that is how i think you can reach awesome tube tone with kemper

• NS - what is that? Just trying to follow your remedy. Is that a typo for Noise Gate?

Oh I was think Noise Suppressor...yes Noise Gate

My master NG is set at 5.5. I could probably take that down to 5?
    I have a Gate 2-1 in the D Block set at 5.2

I was super loud- easily could go close to 100dbs with no noise. The drums, bass, and PA were all rocking LOUD. Dead Quiet for me even on the uber high gain stuff. I turned the D block Gate for most patches too with the master gate handling it all. On the high gain double gate patch, I need to assign that D Gate to a pedal assign because sometimes I like to dial down the guitar volume for more mellow stuff and that gate needs to go off in those applications

Now I just have to re assign my pedal assigns- I think I want (most of the time)
    A: Gate
    B: Wah
    C: OD
    D: Phaser

I'm also happy I was able to get this done without putting the Gate in the effects area. I'm actually surprised as that's where I would put it on my actual amps- in the loop.