Overdrive tips?

• How can I get the higher gain stuff to sound smooth but not like a blanket was put over the cab... I'm going for a liquid Holdsworth OD but things start to get fizzy. Every high gain profile I demo just has this digital hiss high end.. Oh wait this is a digital amp.. I'm imagining this can be worked out with the studio EQ but I don't really know where to begin. If anyone has any eq tricks/settings they'd like to share i'm all ears.

• Try to reduce the 2500 Hz area a little with the grafic eq.

Put the leadbooster in front of the amp , reduce the soundparameter from default 5.0 down to prox. 3 or to your like.

Use the high and low cut at the end of the grafic eq. F.e. low cut at 80 Hz, high cut at prox. 5500 Hz to 7000Hz ( to your likes). Play around with this paameters.

Reduce the definition of the amp to your likes.

Use pure cab to your likes.

These are only hints and maybe one of it work for you. When i am after a special tone, i choose the used amp and next i look for a matching cab, because for me the cab is the most important thing for the sound. There are horrible profiles on rm, but when you change the cab the profil s come to live ( not all but the most).

Guidorist and Lars Lüttge have cool cabs in theirs profiles ( kemper profile packs for free). Choose a rig from these packs and lock a cab, then change the rig and the new ine get the locked cab. Hear what happens.

I like the marshall 1960AV cab from Lars very much.

• I just use the advice from this forum - put an EQ in the X Effect slot and set the High Cut to about 5500 to 6000Hz. You'll hear the fizzy top end start cleaning right up as you adjust it.

• I just use the advice from this forum - put an EQ in the X Effect slot and set the High Cut to about 5500 to 6000Hz. You'll hear the fizzy top end start cleaning right up as you adjust it.

Well it depends on the profile and your guitar/pickups. Some profiles don't need no lp. At least for me.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• This may not be the Holdsworth sound you want, but, I put “Holdsworth Nights 2“ on the Rig Exchange a few years ago.

It sounds like this:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can someone direct me to an EQ lesson thread or video? I guess i'm pretty overwhelmed with all the possible things to tweak... Is it possible to just leave the amp section eq (clarity, etc.) alone and just use a studio or graphic eq after the amp section (X slot) to shape to my desired tone?

I just wish this thing was easier to tweak. It seems like people are able to get there desired results but how many of you go back and play a tube amp and miss the instant gratification of plugging in and getting your sound with less tweaking and more playing...

• Yes, @GuyJames just stick a graphic eq in a slot after the amp section and then scroll along the parameter pages till you see the high and low pass bit.

You can always lock this once you’re happy with your sound so it applies to new loaded profiles.

I must admit I generally just load up a profile and plug and play. So I don’t really find any difference between the kemper and a tube amp, but I do still play my tube amp sometimes. :thumbup:

• Yes, @GuyJames just stick a graphic eq in a slot after the amp section and then scroll along the parameter pages till you see the high and low pass bit.

You can always lock this once you’re happy with your sound so it applies to new loaded profiles.

I must admit I generally just load up a profile and plug and play. So I don’t really find any difference between the kemper and a tube amp, but I do still play my tube amp sometimes. :thumbup:

Thanks man! I don't know how you don't notice a difference. Maybe I need to plug into various cabs. I'll work on this eq thing for now.

• Part of it may have to do with what you have hooked up to the Kemper. I have mine connected to studio monitors. For my room, I have to lower the highs quite a bit. I also do much of what was mentioned before - also check the definition setting for the amp - lowering that can get rid of some of the bite. I also raise/lower the clarity setting to taste. Last, the cab you have for your rig in the Kemper can make a HUGE difference. Try some different cabs as well. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but soon enough you will find "your" sound. Good luck!

• Part of it may have to do with what you have hooked up to the Kemper. I have mine connected to studio monitors. For my room, I have to lower the highs quite a bit. I also do much of what was mentioned before - also check the definition setting for the amp - lowering that can get rid of some of the bite. I also raise/lower the clarity setting to taste. Last, the cab you have for your rig in the Kemper can make a HUGE difference. Try some different cabs as well. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but soon enough you will find "your" sound. Good luck!

I'm using a 2x12 guitar cab with a Hellatone 30w and 60w speakers. I gave up on the FRFR thing. Studio monitors will be another project, my priority is getting this thing singing live. So far I haven't felt confident taking it out in fear of feeling like i'll be tone tweaking on stage and thats not what audiences care about.

I'm all ears for any other eq settings that people can share.

• What profiles have you tried? Any particular amp you are wanting to use for that type of sound? Like others have said, the studio EQ can be used in the X slot - I usually toggle to the end of the settings and set my low cut 80-100 and the highs I usually lower to 7500 or so. Also, you can try lowering the 3500Hz and 5000Hz frequencies. Those are frequencies that I tend to aim at cutting if there is too much fizz- also adjust the Q setting - how wide or narrow you want the cut. Again, try some different cabs in the Kemper. I find the cab can make or break a profile. It can get frustrating after you think you get the sound you are after only to come back to it a day or so later and not like it. I try and save different iterations of the profile so I can go back and tweak them as needed based on the volume I will be playing at, etc.

• What profiles have you tried? Any particular amp you are wanting to use for that type of sound? Like others have said, the studio EQ can be used in the X slot - I usually toggle to the end of the settings and set my low cut 80-100 and the highs I usually lower to 7500 or so. Also, you can try lowering the 3500Hz and 5000Hz frequencies. Those are frequencies that I tend to aim at cutting if there is too much fizz- also adjust the Q setting - how wide or narrow you want the cut. Again, try some different cabs in the Kemper. I find the cab can make or break a profile. It can get frustrating after you think you get the sound you are after only to come back to it a day or so later and not like it. I try and save different iterations of the profile so I can go back and tweak them as needed based on the volume I will be playing at, etc.

Mostly MBritt but i've been tweaking rig exchange ones too and just got the free tone junkie pack. The Graphic eq cut recammendations are helping but it's still lacking a 'round warm CLEAR' sound.

• MBritt are great profiles. I would highly recommend you also try some of the other Commercial profiles. There are many great ones here and I have found that many sellers will send you a free profile or two if you ask them and give them an idea of what you are looking for.

• This may not be the Holdsworth sound you want, but, I put “Holdsworth Nights 2“ on the Rig Exchange a few years ago.

It sounds like this:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sweet track, gonna grab that one!! :thumbup:

• Mostly MBritt but i've been tweaking rig exchange ones too and just got the free tone junkie pack. The Graphic eq cut recammendations are helping but it's still lacking a 'round warm CLEAR' sound.

Try also a compressor to get a clear sound a little bigger/ warmer. Comp f.e. in slot A , range+3 , attack 2, mix 85%, vol +0,8. this will fatten up the ckean a bit.