Overdrive tips?

• May not be helpful to you but back when I used a regular guitar cab, I always struggled to find a great sound. I finally moved forwards when I started only using profiles captured from very similar cabs to mine.

I also apply the same now for pickups.

• I'm using a 2x12 guitar cab with a Hellatone 30w and 60w speakers. I gave up on the FRFR thing. Studio monitors will be another project, my priority is getting this thing singing live. So far I haven't felt confident taking it out in fear of feeling like i'll be tone tweaking on stage and thats not what audiences care about.
    I'm all ears for any other eq settings that people can share.

Hope you know that have to set cab off when using real cabs.

Have you tried ti use DI profiles with cab off on the kpa?

• I just wish this thing was easier to tweak. It seems like people are able to get there desired results but how many of you go back and play a tube amp and miss the instant gratification of plugging in and getting your sound with less tweaking and more playing...

I actually use it just like my tube amps. I just plug and play. I pretty much never tweak anything. If a profile isn't doing it for me I just move on to one that is. I can't say I have ever noticed a digital fizz yet. There are definitely lots of profiles (both commercial and free) that are totally unusable for me personally because they are way to high gain and way too scooped so they really grate on my ears. Think of all the really popular high gain profiles like Sinmix, Lasse Lammer, Ola Englund etc. I can't live with those but that is purely a stylistic thing rather than a flaw in the KPA or the profiling. They are are undoubtedly great profiles for the metal genre.

I generally find I am happiest though when I just set up my own tube mp to get a tone then make a profile of it myself. That way I capture what I want from the outset without the need to tweak anyway.

If you are using the KPA with a regular guitar cab just do a DI profile with the amp connected to the cab you will be using with the profiler. This pretty much gives my a perfect match for my tube amp.

• I actually use it just like my tube amps. I just plug and play. I pretty much never tweak anything. If a profile isn't doing it for me I just move on to one that is. I can't say I have ever noticed a digital fizz yet. There are definitely lots of profiles (both commercial and free) that are totally unusable for me personally because they are way to high gain and way too scooped so they really grate on my ears. Think of all the really popular high gain profiles like Sinmix, Lasse Lammer, Ola Englund etc. I can't live with those but that is purely a stylistic thing rather than a flaw in the KPA or the profiling. They are are undoubtedly great profiles for the metal genre.
    I generally find I am happiest though when I just set up my own tube mp to get a tone then make a profile of it myself. That way I capture what I want from the outset without the need to tweak anyway.

If you are using the KPA with a regular guitar cab just do a DI profile with the amp connected to the cab you will be using with the profiler. This pretty much gives my a perfect match for my tube amp.

I envy your satisfaction. Unfortunately this has not been a pleasing plug in and play experience. I will say though, taking it into a rehearsal and playing through profiles I thought weren't good but seemed to sound better in a live mix is odd. I've solved my dilemma for for now by tweaking the profiles at higher volumes and playing along to jam tracks going through studio monitors.

• To the OP, I didn't see where you have described an analog rig that you're trying to capture... so I'm going to assume that you're looking to find your sound with the KPA, and that's a really tall order.

It's plug-and-play in the sense that you can plug in and try thousands of possible amps through thousands of possible cabs and mic combinations - but that's a bit overwhelming to just about anyone.

The fact that you're going into a guitar cab is a plus, it removes the speaker cab/mic from the equation. At this point, just find an amp that sounds good to you... find the amp that is the closest to what you want to hear coming out of your cabinet. I don't envy that task, it'll take a long time as there are thousands now on the Rig Exchange and in the packs, but you'll learn how to whittle them down fairly quickly.

If you know what type of amp you want, then find those first. Holdsworth used a Mesa/Boogie studio preamp if I'm not mistaken, so look for something in the Mesa Mark family (studio preamp, quad preamp, Mark I,II,III,IV, or V) and that might get what you're looking for.

Also, to use it with a guitar cab for best results, stick to Direct or Merged profiles so that you can disable the cab on your feed to the guitar cab. On studio profiles you might have good luck doing that, but in my experience not usually.

• Thanks brotha! Some rigs in RM are good at tagging which ones are Di and such but every one I try seems pretty harsh. I'll look more though.

• Been by favourite parameter on the KPA since day 1, Mario!

OH Yes,, that is the one I go to first,,,,,and I found that tweaking at STAGE vol, is very important,,When tweaking at low vol,esp the setting gain etc,, It will not translate at loud stage vol..what seems like enough gain at low / bedroom vol,, is way too much gain at stage vol, prob one of the reason new guys cant hear themselves at practice,after sitting home and getting tones,at low vol,,,I had the great fortune to tweak my profile at a huge place during an extended sound check, that is where a very smart sound guy informed me my lead tone was not there when I stepped on it, I started to use One cab, for every tone, and its been tone heaven ever since,

• You speak the truth unclemar ;)

Gain and eq sound totally different at low volumes. That is also why so many metal tones are massively scooped in the mid range and boosted beyond usable in the lows and highs. It sounds absolutely massive and EVIL at low volume but dosn't translate well to stage volume or band context.

Another thing to bear in mind Guy is that you are probably used to listening to tones from your valve amp with the speaker well below ear level. However, when auditioning and tweaking tones on your studio monitors your ears are right in line with the high frequencies. Highs are very directional so we guitarists very often have a different concept of the amp in the room sound than other people standing further away from our amps. I'm sorry if this is stating the obvious and you have already tried out different listening postions but it is amazing how many people don't realise that the kemper profiles (studio profiles at least) are capturing a full signal chain like a recording or the miced amp going to FOH which is VERY different to what we normally listen too as player.

I remember making my first few profiles and thinking that they didn't sound like the amp in the room. The amp was way less harsh and bright. Then I realised that my 1x12 cab as sitting on the floor. I lay on the floor with my ears in line with what the mic was getting from the speaker - bloody hell that was bright :) Lesson learned!