Merge Question

• So let me walk you through a scenario

• EVH amp gets profiled using a simple 57 on axis; this session includes direct, studio, and merge
    • I sell the EVH amp (because while the amp is great the KPA is 99% there)
    • Marshall amp gets profiled using an sm7 on axis; this session includes direct, studio, and merge
    • Now I love this new profile, especially the cab capture. I take that new sm7 cab and apply it to the EVH direct profile.

Here's the question: should I skip the MERGE function?
    As I understand it, the merge is calculating and separating the sounds between the amp and cab. Since that cab has no EVH dna, the calculations would be off and could be strange. Is it better to just apply the new cab, kind of old school style- just slap it on like we used to back before 3.0? Not quite as effective as a true merged profile, but I imagine still very cool.
    Anybody test it both ways?

I love my EVH amp but may need to sell it, so I'm kind of anxious to make sure I profile it thoroughly before saying farewell. But maybe having the EVH di profiles means new sounds can keep on rolling in at a high level.

Thanks!

• I’ll just add my 2 cents that between Merged profiles, the Cab is already separated, so you can change Cabs like before 3.0 but it will be more a more accurate representation :)
    The Merge function is only intended to be used at the profiling stage (the wording “Merge” really means “separate”, as although you are merging the DA profile in to the Studio profile, what it actually means with regards to changing Cabs is that you are separating the Cab from the Studio profile).