First shot at profiling - impressions

• So.. just had my experience with profiling an amp with the Kemper.

My first impressions:
    It’s easier than I expected. I profiled a Mad Professor OS51, and I just threw a 57 on it, as if I was mic’ing the amp for a gig. On-axis, slightly off center (just off the edge of the cap). Dialed up a pleasing sound in the room, shut the door behind me, checked the mic’ed sound in my monitors and hit profile.

It’s aaaaaaalmost there. I would say like 97%. However, for the clean sound I set up, the refining process actually made it sound less like the reference amp through my monitors. Went through and redid the profile, the Kemper got closer this time.

I’m sure in my next attempts, I will be able to get the Kemper even closer.

So far I’m impressed, but I’m curious to hear from others, who have experience doing their own profiles.

Please chime in !

//
    Jacob

• Yes, the procedure is pretty simple, but of course the real issue is the mic and placement. Have you tried using a ribbon mic? I've used a Ribbon (Beyer M160) and an SM57 together with good results. I notice a lot of the commercial profiles are using a ribbon/57 combo too.

The other thing is that a few OS versions ago you had to go back and "zero" the gain after finishing a profile. I think it was automatically matching the level of whatever profile you had called up. Entirely possible it was operator error or it may be different in the current OS.

Looking forward to checking out your profiles! :)

• hi...good to hear..I don't think I've seen any mad professor profiles around..would you mind sharing?

Yeah, sure. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload to the Rig Exchange. I was in a hurry today, so I only made two profiles (one clean and one dirty) of the amp - an OS51 RT. I'll post in this thread when I get them uploaded.

Yes, the procedure is pretty simple, but of course the real issue is the mic and placement. Have you tried using a ribbon mic? I've used a Ribbon (Beyer M160) and an SM57 together with good results. I notice a lot of the commercial profiles are using a ribbon/57 combo too.

The other thing is that a few OS versions ago you had to go back and "zero" the gain after finishing a profile. I think it was automatically matching the level of whatever profile you had called up. Entirely possible it was operator error or it may be different in the current OS.

Looking forward to checking out your profiles! :)

Yeah, I have thought about getting a ribbon mic as well. However, for the time being, I think I'm satisfied with using the '57 and other mics such as MD421s, Sennheiser E906s and others, that I have available. I don't have much experience using multiple mics on amps, so to avoid the hassle of phasing, etc., I prefer sticking to one microphone at a time, and get the best out of that :)

• hi...good to hear..I don't think I've seen any mad professor profiles around..would you mind sharing?

The rigs should be up on the RE now. Search for author Jacob Hansen or "MP51". I've uploaded three rigs, MP51 1.2*, 1.3 and 2.1.

The 1.2* and 1.3 are clean profiles. I've tweaked the definition and gain slightly, but otherwise they're untouched.
    2.1 is a distorted sound, using the preamps gain boost and running the preamp-gain high.

I've purposely mic'ed the amp so that the profiles are slightly mid-focused. However, it's easy to compensate by tweaking the definition knob and subtracting some mids in the EQ.

Hope they're useable. If not, there are plenty of other profiles out there ;)

• Just created my first profiles today, and was also surprised how easy it was.

My setup was a bit simpler though... I profiled my old JMP-1 preamp through the power tube of a Laney L5 Studio amp.
    For this test I just profiled the direct out of the Laney (no cab emulation) and made some DI profiles.

Referencing it all through a 2x12 cab in the room I think the results were incredibly close between the Kemper profile and reference amp setup.
    All in all I'm pretty excited, and really happy I gave it a shot!
    It means I can now take my old live tones (or something really similar at least) on the road for a band project I haven't gigged with since getting the Kemper.

Might get even better results with a reactive load box, but I don't currently have one...

• Yeah similar experience, really easy to do then needs a little tweaking.

One thing I have found is to get the reference amp to similar sound levels to the amp being profiled as some profiles come out a lot louder than others which means difficulty in having a balanced volume for performance mode profiles later on.

Still, it’s an awesome piece of kit...

• I like 2.1 (the gainy one)..and the cab sounds great with som of my brighter profiles as well..what speakers did you use? good job :thumbup:

Thanks !

Yeah, played the profiles against today, and I think I’m going to do some new clean profiles - compared to my usual cleans (MBritt 67 Deluxe & AC30s), they are too middy.

The speaker is the standard Jensen Stealth 100 they ship with. Would prefer something like a Celestion G12-65, but it works ! :)