Did my first profile

• Man it was just bad...

First off, I don't have an appropriate space and since I live in Hawaii with AC turning my fan off is just asking to overheat.

Secondly, The sounds it makes while profiling are horrible! And was actually crazy loud. It was 2pm on a Sunday but man, it was just so loud.

Third, I don't know if the process of profiling an amp is like recording an amp into a daw but I'm assuming it is. That said, Mic Placement must make a big difference. So, I need to find the right spots. I was having trouble with my 2nd mic so I only used an SM57 but I have a Neuman TLM 170 R that I wanted to try too.

I don't think I'm going to sell this bad boy yet but I am going to pick up an AX8 and dabble in the modeling world. Reviews seem good. May even be good to use with the Kemper. I think id be able to get something like two amps blending and since I have the Powered Head I can use the AX8 with a cab I think.

Honestly, I think the kemper shines in the Cleans to mid gain department but It's just not touching me in regards to usable mid hi gain profiles. This is the only reason i'm searching elsewhere. I'll keep working though. The AX8 may be a replacement contender though!

• Did you A/B during the Profiling process, Guy?

If you heard the same / a very-similar sound from both sources when hitting the soft key, the issue is obviously not the KPA.

IMHO, best you stick with the single-mic technique for now; the perfect placement of two mic's in order to avoid phase cancellation between their signals is tricky, time-consuming and often doesn't even produce as good a result as a single SM57, for instance.

• As Monkey-Man said. unless you are experienced with mic technique using multiple mics is asking for trouble. You need to be very careful with phase relationship and placement of BOTH mics.

I would suggest recording a short loop of DI guitar (SPIDF is easiest) if you don't have the Kemper Remote. If you have the Remote you can just use the looper function. Play this back through the real amp. Put on closed headphones and move the mic in front of the cabinet until you hear the sound you are happy with. Lock the stand there and you are good to go.

Also, if you plan to use the KPA with a traditional guitar cab, make Direct profile too. That way you literally get the amp sound without any mic placement issues.

• As Monkey-Man said. unless you are experienced with mic technique using multiple mics is asking for trouble. You need to be very careful with phase relationship and placement of BOTH mics.

I would suggest recording a short loop of DI guitar (SPIDF is easiest) if you don't have the Kemper Remote. If you have the Remote you can just use the looper function. Play this back through the real amp. Put on closed headphones and move the mic in front of the cabinet until you hear the sound you are happy with. Lock the stand there and you are good to go.

Also, if you plan to use the KPA with a traditional guitar cab, make Direct profile too. That way you literally get the amp sound without any mic placement issues.

Great tips from both of you. I'll give another go sometime

• Considering your OP, you listed some obstacles at getting a great profile. I wouldn't sell it off for that reason though, most people do not profile but find profiles that work for them

I understand people wanting to profile their amps with their settings, but I am 100% confident that I can get better results using profiles made by those who are professionals at this. I bought the Kemper so I could get a nice collection of amps, which I do not have the physical space for or the ability to crank up, because I have neighbors right on top of me, in the middle of a city. I have had my Kemper for about a year now, and this is the first time I haven't thought of buying another amp in a year.

Have you checked out the all of the free Rig Packs on the Kemper? For higher gain, there are some really good options in the Lars Luettge Rig Pack. Going to send you a PM with something else, as well.

• I understand people wanting to profile their amps with their settings, but I am 100% confident that I can get better results using profiles made by those who are professionals at this. I bought the Kemper so I could get a nice collection of amps, which I do not have the physical space for or the ability to crank up, because I have neighbors right on top of me, in the middle of a city. I have had my Kemper for about a year now, and this is the first time I haven't thought of buying another amp in a year.
    Have you checked out the all of the free Rig Packs on the Kemper? For higher gain, there are some really good options in the Lars Luettge Rig Pack. Going to send you a PM with something else, as well.

"better results" is a very subjective thing.

I bought the Kemper for several reasons. One of them was, like you to have access to a range of amps that I don't own, will never own (try buying a Dumble) and even if I did own couldn't crank most of the time. However, I also have a nice range of Mesa Boogies and a THD BiValve. I love them for specific sounds which are MY sounds and MY idea of how my guitar and amp together should sound. No matter how good/professional someone is they are still supplying THEIR idea of how the amp should sound and even that has been optimised for a certain guitar/pickup which I probably don't own.

One of common complaints about the Kemper is frustration that none of the profiles sound like a real valve amp in the room to the person using it. Some of this may be poor profiles but profiling isn't hard so I suspect more of it is just that the sound of a ready made profile is just not the sound the user has in their head; or at least the sound they are used to hearing. I have found that the sound of a profile of my amps is as near to the real thing as makes no practical difference. Therefore, I can crank my amps and setup a sound I like when no one is in, profile it in a matter of minutes and play with it at any volume (even silent using headphones) I need to when family/neighbours are around.

The OP has said in previous posts that he can get rid of the digital sound from high gain profiles and is looking for a smooth Holdsworth like fusion tone which he can dial up in minutes on a real valve amp. Therefore, he clearly has a very specific sound in mind which is not the typical sort of high gain profile most professionals seem to sell (mainly metal packs). With that in mind I would imagine profiling his own amp with exactly the sound he loves would be much more efficient than trawling through potentially thousands of profiles in the hope of finding one that works.

It's "horses for courses". There is nothing wrong with buying professional profiles or using free profiles from professional profilers. Like many people, I use the Michael Britt profiles a lot as well as some Tone Junkie. I bought the BHP Mesa Triaxis pack which has some nice profiles but they don't sound like my Triaxis so I rarely use them. On the other hand, profiling your own amps is easy, can be fun and can give you exactly the sound you want. I am 100% certain that both ways can lead to great results and many hours of enjoyment playing :)

• Definitely agree with that. I was just saying how I used it. If I had a nicer amp collection, more time, and a soundproof house I'd love to do my own profiling. I've heard profiles from amateurs that I find to be extremely good, so it can definitely be done.... Just not by me, heh!

• I really appreciate the great replies guys! @Wheresthedug you nailed it in regards to your comment about most commercial high gain profiles not typically being the sound i'm looking for. The holdsworth thing is tricky because his sound is a combination of specify delay settings too so if someone actually made a legit profile it would be more than just the amp sound.

With that said, here's a perfect example of amazing dynamic overdrive i'm dreaming of.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I really appreciate the great replies guys! @Wheresthedug you nailed it in regards to your comment about most commercial high gain profiles not typically being the sound i'm looking for. The holdsworth thing is tricky because his sound is a combination of specify delay settings too so if someone actually made a legit profile it would be more than just the amp sound.

With that said, here's a perfect example of amazing dynamic overdrive i'm dreaming of.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This Erlend Krauser profile has been made available. I think I might have it in my Rig Manager somewhere.

Try this out man! Thanks goes to @Lati for keeping the link alive! :P;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7iy…_red_TubeThomsen.zip?dl=0

• @GuyJames the other thing about Holdsworth is that his actual tone isn’t nearly as high gain as most people think. I hadnkt listened to him for a while so I whipped out IOU and Metal Fatigue recently and was really surprised how little gain is actually going on. The oick attack and dynamics are supper clear and not overly compressed. I guess the reason he could play such fluid legato passagages was more to do with his incredible technique than the sustain benefit of gain. Unfortunately that’s not what I want to hear as I always feel I can chase the sound but I know I have no chance with the technique :(

• Awesome, I'll upload it and turn it up tomorrow! Hopefully it gets close to this recording. One of my frustrations has been hearing amazing demos like this , getting the profile and then it sounds totally different. I know that's due to what I monitor it through and obviously just different hands.

• Awesome, I'll upload it and turn it up tomorrow! Hopefully it gets close to this recording. One of my frustrations has been hearing amazing demos like this , getting the profile and then it sounds totally different. I know that's due to what I monitor it through and obviously just different hands.

Don‘t be dissapointed with the rig. I was in contact with Erlend several times. To reach his tone you need his very special puck up‘s and electronics in his strat, his fingers and his daw tricks. He told me that all fx come from his daw when he play live with the profile

• @808illest thanks for making that available. Just tried it out. Sounds nice. Was surprised to see the Wah Rate Reducer in Slot A.

My initial response was that it sounded very "digital" and artificial. Not at all what I expected. However, when you play it in a track it sits really nicely!

I just goes to reinforce that what sounds great soloed doesn't always work well in context and somethings that don't sound great solo sound perfect in context.

• @808illest thanks for making that available. Just tried it out. Sounds nice. Was surprised to see the Wah Rate Reducer in Slot A.

My initial response was that it sounded very "digital" and artificial. Not at all what I expected. However, when you play it in a track it sits really nicely!

I just goes to reinforce that what sounds great soloed doesn't always work well in context and somethings that don't sound great solo sound perfect in context.

Too true, many great profiles are like that. There are some awesome 5150III profiles out there that might work for this sound too :?:^^

• That explains the laptop on his setup! :thumbup:

Yes, Erlend told me that he has programmed all his songs with fx in his daw. For him it is easier to handle. Have a look on his Strat, 3 different pick ups and 2 mini switches and two black switsches for splitting. Lot of special electronic in there.......the kpa rig is only the basic.
    But it is his basic rig :D

• Yes, Erlend told me that he has programmed all his songs with fx in his daw. For him it is easier to handle. Have a look on his Strat, 3 different pick ups and 2 mini switches and two black switsches for splitting. Lot of special electronic in there.......the kpa rig is only the basic.But it is his basic rig :D

I wonder what FX since he's using Pro Tools? That Strat is heavily modded :thumbup: