Direct Profiles + Commercial IRs?

• Instead of profiling an amp + cab + mic, wouldn't it be better to do a direct profile of an amp and then import an IR from Celestion or something? Can this be done? Also, can the Kemper profile from the amp's line out, or does it have to have a DI? Also, does anyone offer commercial rig packs done this way?

• It is a question that has been discussed quite a bit - using a Direct Amplifier Profile with a downloaded IR (which by definition would have been created with a different Amplifier) may sound good, but, it cannot be as accurate to the sound of the original amp/cabinet combination you hear in a Studio or Merged Profile.

A Profile created from an amplifier’s Line Out is usually a Direct Preamp Profile (containing no poweramp information). They are typically used with a tube poweramp and conventional guitar speaker cabinet.

• Commercial DI profiles + commercial IRs are pretty much all I ever use now. Studio profiles provide the best representation of a real amp. But, I have to disagree that merged profiles are better than DI+IR. Merged profiles still rely on the KPA to accurately distinguish the amp from the cab when being created. They are able to do this remarkably well, however, it's not 100% accurate. I like the flexibility that commercial IRs have with mic and placement combinations that KPA commercial profilers don't provide. And, let's face it, commercial KPA profilers tend to use the same mic and cab over and over with every amp they offer which tends to make them all sound similar. Mic placement is an artform in of itself and a few profilers have that magic touch but many many IR providers do. My only issue with commercial IRs is that some of them are pretty hot. I usually run it through a DAW and bring down the levels to something that works best with the KPA. You can also be overwhelmed by the number of IR options and need to be willing to spend a lot of time with it. But, in the end, go with your ears...if it sounds good, it doesn't matter how you got there

• Commercial DI profiles + commercial IRs are pretty much all I ever use now. Studio profiles provide the best representation of a real amp. But, I have to disagree that merged profiles are better than DI+IR. Merged profiles still rely on the KPA to accurately distinguish the amp from the cab when being created. They are able to do this remarkably well, however, it's not 100% accurate. I like the flexibility that commercial IRs have with mic and placement combinations that KPA commercial profilers don't provide. And, let's face it, commercial KPA profilers tend to use the same mic and cab over and over with every amp they offer which tends to make them all sound similar. Mic placement is an artform in of itself and a few profilers have that magic touch but many many IR providers do. My only issue with commercial IRs is that some of them are pretty hot. I usually run it through a DAW and bring down the levels to something that works best with the KPA. You can also be overwhelmed by the number of IR options and need to be willing to spend a lot of time with it. But, in the end, go with your ears...if it sounds good, it doesn't matter how you got there

Where can I find good quality DI profiles + IR profiles?

• Profilers will sometimes offer a DI pack of every amp they have for a good price. Try out their free packs then go with the profiler you like best. For cab IRs, my favorite pack is OwnHammer's 212-GTR MAR-66 Multi-Speaker collection. This will give you a taste of almost every speaker available. Before you buy, there are many free IR packs available online. Just search "free cab ir" and you'll find a bunch, you may find something you like