How to get good results recording...

• Ahh yes, I like Graham a lot.

What do you think is the best approach for the OP then Nicky?

Yours, Shawn.

For one thing, Misha's gonna have to dial those levels back on every track if he intends to use any sort of decent analogue-console / compressor / EQ in plugin form. The most-authentic of this popular "genre" of plugins are tuned to expect lower-level input, thus more-accurately representing the gear they're emulating.

Further to this, sending these hot signals through series of plugins (common on every channel these days) is inviting trouble unless, again, you lower the levels going to them. That involves an uneccesary stage of processing IMHO 'cause you wouldn't have to insert a gain-changing plugin if you hadn't have recorded so hot in the first place. We're all gonna use a bunch of plugins on everything ultimately, and each stage of processing introduces errors which accumulate within and across tracks, so no need to add an extra one for every instrument track, no?

Worrying about the noise floor, as he describes it when justifying his old-school-hangover technique, is frankly-ridiculous for a number of reasons. Most-obviously, the high-gain tones he's using would inherently contain heaps of noise, and nobody could possibly hear the added -100+dB that's gonna be introduced by recording at much-lower levels. In addition to that, the guitar parts should ideally be gated or the soudfiles chopped up so that zero noise appears between passages / phrases. Basic engineering.

Lastly, recording all your signals hot invites all sorts of other potential problems to the mix, IMHO. Inter-sample clipping, for instance, which wouldn't get a look in if sufficient headroom is available to accommodate the inter-sample peaks that cause it. Suffocation (sounding tiny) of the mix due to too many channels' being too-hot. The latter is a huge issue IMHO, and requires great effort to ameliorate sometimes, usually through resetting all track levels a whole-lot lower (hello more number crunching). This inability of a mix to breathe properly (openness, size) as well as express transients "effortlessly" is sabotaged in no small way by using hotly-recorded tracks IMHO.

To sum up, whilst I like his monitors (Opals - my favourites!), I believe his level-setting M.O. is archaic and his good intentions therefrom misplaced. This is all just MHO, and folks' MMV and so on.

• Who knows, Shawn?

I'm guessing that in some cases there might be, but in most where they claim no tricks, there aren't.

As far as I'm concerned my clips and samples ( from other commercial sellers and mines ) are completely post production free when stated as. You can easily hear this by judging to the raw 'direct in your face' tone , excessive basses , huge dynamic variations and sometimes boxyness. Full spdif out to roland quad, no post EQ or FX on my DAW. Fxes come from the KPA , but once you've a slight EQ, chorus , delay and verb set on your KPA it's already much smoother.

Here are some of them :

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My tracks however show some post prod , post EQ on DAW, delay , verb , compression , mastering ...

• Thanks for the replies all.

Its been a few weeks of experimentation, but Im starting to get some good results. Not full satisfaction with distortion yet, but enough progress to justify that the Kemper is working out.

First thing I did was to purchase some new profiles, TopJimi's Caswell Marshall and Marshall Jubilee packs. The Caswell with my Les Paul is the best digital distortion sound I've ever had. The Jubilee I use purely for the cleans so far, as I love the Marshall clean tone and this is hitting the spot.

I also did some research as to what EQ to use and downloaded a trial of FabFilter Pro Q 2 EQ. I've been using Nomad Factory plugins for over 10 years now, and its time to explore other plugins.

Also, I'm using the Kempers reverb and delay a lot more.

The results of the above have pretty much opened up the Kemper as a recording tool. Problems I had with my old POD HD is that I had no idea where to go with it, whereas with the Kemper I see directions and possibilities if that makes sense.

Still much to work out, but I'm happy to say that for the first time in my 12 years of home recording I'm starting to feel like Im no longer restricted by my gear. Almost afraid to say that, as I've tried everything that I could minus miking a stack, which is impossible where I live.

Recording at SPDIF 88.2, cant see any great advantage to it. Just habit really, my PC is effortlessly handling 8 tracks.

Next problem is recording bass guitar, I'm getting better results with Amplitube Ampeg so am continuing to use that. I feel the Kemper has a lot to offer when recording bass guitar, perhaps its a case of finding the right profile...

• I feel the Kemper has a lot to offer when recording bass guitar, perhaps its a case of finding the right profile...

I'd say it's just that, Terence.

Awesome for bass. Can't recommend any Profiles as I've tried so many (only free ones at this point) that sound great.