How to get good results recording...

• So Im struggling a bit with getting the results others are getting, when recording my Kemper.

Comparing with the youtube Kemper guitar heroes who claim to not be using any EQ, compression or mastering is probably not a good comparison, but if I do compare the results Im getting with what people are posting, I'm not getting the best out of my gear. There's a big secret out there, and Im not sure what it is!

I'm using an RME Fireface into Reaper, recording a Les Paul and American Strat. I EQ with Nomad Factory plug ins.

Any tips, much appreciated.

• be sure to compare the phones out and the output signal hitting your RME , you should have the exact same tone if your KPA output settings are correctly setup in this way ( like cab sims ON on both ... ).

you should definitely have a good tone out of your KPA while recording. My post EQ in my DAW is always the same preset ( bass cut , treble enhance ), but the tone hitting my sound card is already killer.

• Are you comparing the same profiles? Seems to me (and others) that one has to find the profiles that work for him/her. Many highly acclaimed profiles do not work for me though they sound great when others use them. One that works for most here (me included) is the Morgan AC 20 (by rmpacheco) you can find on Rig Exchange. There are videos where this rig is being presented so you can do a side by side comparison.

Cheers

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Im using the Caswell Marshall and Marshall Silver Jubilee clean by Top Jimi. The ones preloaded on the Kemper I found just ok. If it weren't for the Top Jimi profiles I might not have stuck with the Kemper.

They sound great for practice, but just ok when recording. Better than the POD HD I upgraded from, but when I compare with say this

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    what I'm getting is inferior.

Many of the people recording the clips claim no eg, no compression etc. But there's clearly something they're doing to make it sound better....

• One thing I would say in GENERAL is that most people working on their own tend to record way too hot.

Keep the level moderate, even leaning towards low.
    Most interfaces will sound much better if you don’t slam the front end input, and the DAW itself will sound better if you give it a lot of internal headroom.
    With 24 and 32 bit recording there is no need to cream the levels.

Keep everything well down in the ‘green’ and see if that helps.

• Yeah, clipping is definitely an issue but If you go out of the Kemper via SPDIF there should be no clipping of the interface at all, (but analog XLR/TS will sound just as good as spdif).

Also, you might want to check your DAW session for any changes that you made? ie: open up a complete new project?

Check all your cables or jacks as something may be faulty.
    Possibly changing amps or cabs will make a difference, or changing guitars with different pickups to match the profiles a bit better?

• If you’re mixing to stereo in the box, you’re digitally ‘summing’

Some people have a more is more mentality.
    I’m not convinced louder in the box ever sound better.
    If you want clipping or saturation you’re better off adding it purposefully.

• Recording just hot enough before clipping (including palm mutes) is how many metal guys are doing it and achieving great results.

This is a carry-over M.O. from the days of tape and analogue desks, Shawn.

The idea was to minimise noise (maximise S/N ratios) by hitting the tape hard (also produced pleasing effects due to the non-linear responses of tape) 'cause by doing so the relative levels of hiss would become proportionally lower the higher the recorded signal.

This paradigm is useless when it comes to modern interfaces and ITB mixing. It's a hard habit to let go of 'though, especially for those who grew up with tape and analogue outboard. Maximising S/N ratios was literally something we did in our sleep as it was an integral component of recording back then.

EDIT:
    It goes without saying that for folks like me (and I daresay William), recording at 12 to 18dB below clipping is initially-intimidating and unintuitive; it takes some getting used to even when one is fully-aware of the associated theory.

• yes, a carryover from worrying about analogue signal to noise, and also somewhat from early (crappy) digital where "using all the bits' had some meaning or value.

these days, I have most signals in the box peaking about -20.

• I agree on the recording at low levels thing BUT some pre-amps come to life when driven hard - bare with me as I am being specific to Kemper recording. I actually prefer to record my Kemper via XLR to preamp, rather than SPDIF, precisely because I can drive some choice pieces at the studio that I work at a little harder than usual, and I personally think it results in a better sound - for the rock I am doing.

Two examples of pre's I like hitting hard are Vintech 1073 and the Great River MP-2NV. Both of these have an Post level control but it seems that you can't keep them too low to get in the sweet spot.

• Different matter altogether, Malcom.

You can drive a preamp as hard as you like to taste; it's the A/D-input levels (and resulting DAW levels) we're talking about.

Nothin' wrong with what you're doin', brother. Use them sweet spots if your gear has 'em, I say.

• Alright, wrote the above comment and then realized it had very little to do the with OP's question, my bad!

I agree with many of the others - find the profiles that work for you. For me, it's Michael Britt's stuff, nearly exclusively (it's sooo good). And so far, %100 percent of my clients agree! Next time you have some one recording guitar get them to play guitar while you look through rig manager, clicking on different profiles. You'll find something that fits quickly. Make a note, or save it under a name you can recall and you will probably find it as a starting point for future products.

The best part of owning a Kemper for me is finding my clients a tone in under 15 minutes. Can't argue with saved time in the studio!

• All of my tracks are -16 to -20. Others do it differently! Many producers have their own style be it ITB or Analog. I'm just offering ideas. In the end it's about what sounds best for him! What do you think is the best approach for the OP then Nicky?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTW - The gear might be different but the same techniques can be applied. Another good guy to watch is over at Recording Revolution!