Remote loses connection with Profiler

• Hey there guys. I have already started a thread with this topic and thought the problem was fixed, but 2 remotes, three cables and three profilers later, I experienced my remote losing connection with my new powered profiler yesterday during rehearsal. I am emailing Kemper as soon as I am done with this post but I have to believe there is a serious problem with a batch of remotes or cables coming from Kemper. I cant be the only one who has experienced this over the last 6 months.

First Kemper / Remote bundle I purchased, the remote lost connection. I contacted Sweetwater and they said buy a new cable. I ended up purchasing a new second Kemper and cable. The remote loses connection with new cable and new Kemper. Kemper replaces remote.

I purchase a third new powered Kemper / Remote. New remote loses connection with new powered Kemper last night.

Each time, the remote freezes up and I have to shut the Kemper down completely and turn back on to get the remote to reconnect.

I am beginning to think that maybe the quality control of Kemper is not worth the price I am paying to use their product.

First unit purchased in November of 2017, second in Feb 2018 and last unit in May 2018.

Thoughts????

• I’ve had one crash like that.
    But it hasn’t happened again.

That’s certainly alarming.
    But if it were happening to a lot of users I’m sure we’d be hearing about it.

I hope you get your issue sorted.

• There exist a lot of threads regarding this topic here.
    Mainly the cable is the reason for the problems.
    It 's a good idea to have a normal Cat5 Cable 3m in your toolbox for emergency case.

• @Sharry
    I dont believe the cable is the problem. The remote has an IP address that communicates to the profiler (from what I have been told). The communication link is the cable. The IP address on the remote drops out and that is what is causing the remote to freeze up and drop out, losing communication with the profiler.

If the cable was the problem, I would hope that three cables and three Kempers later, the problem would have been resolved. This problem has happened with 2 different remotes, all three cables and all three Kempers. The big reason I know the remote is the problem is because when it happened the first time, people told me to get a new cable, which I did. I had also bought a second Kemper. So with the new cable, new Kemper and original remote, the problem occurred again.

My remote also sits in a custom case. It stays very stationary and does not move around. The connection to the remote is actually supported with foam and a three to four inch loop is created so there is absolutely no stress on the cable.

I have emailed Kemper and I am waiting for a response.

• @Sharry
    I dont believe the cable is the problem. The remote has an IP address that communicates to the profiler (from what I have been told). The communication link is the cable. The IP address on the remote drops out and that is what is causing the remote to freeze up and drop out, losing communication with the profiler.

My educated guess that the cable is the problem do not base on the type of protocol. I think its simpy a matter of the power consumption for the LEDs and Indicator.

If the voltage drop due to long, to thin or to bad cable is to high then you get troubles.

With an Poe switch (for longer distances) you can also solve the troubles.

PS: also the plugs can cause problems.

• I have found that it has happened to me on a couple of occasions. I use a 3rd party 3m Cat5-XLR connector, because I am in a studio. My fix has been to just shut down the Kemper and reboot, it has always re-connected on the second try.

• Hi guys !
    I've just experienced the same thing, rehearsing at home.
    A few times the days before, my Kemper froze but wasn't connected to the remote (the sound was still working but it didn't respond and it was impossible to switch to the Browser mode or even the Tuner).

BUT, I could get my Kemper back without restarting it simply by launching the Rig Manager : it suddenly worked again as if nothing ever happened.

As my Kemper is always connected to my Mac by the USB cable, even if I don't run Rig Manager, I'm guessing it's some kind of "bug" between the two...

To be entirely precise, Rig Manager updated by itself to version 2.1.41, and I haven't put the OS 5.5.0.13341 Public Beta that was available a few weeks ago (so I'm still running the 5.4.1).

• BUT, I could get my Kemper back without restarting it simply by launching the Rig Manager : it suddenly worked again as if nothing ever happened.

As my Kemper is always connected to my Mac by the USB cable, even if I don't run Rig Manager, I'm guessing it's some kind of "bug" between the two...

Same thing here. Since the latest Rig Manager with the new USB-Driver (I'm on a Mac with the latest High Sierra) I got the same experience from time to time when connected to the computer. To make this clear: This happens when the Rig Manager is not running at all! There were known problems before when the Rig Manager was connected but the computer went into hibernation. But now this happens even when the Rig Manager isn't even running. This is bad at home but terrible one stage if connected to a computer.

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

• I would like to thank everyone for their response on this subject. It is refreshing to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this problem. I have read about people being connected to Rig Manager when this has taken place. Two times for me, I believe I was connected to Rig Manager, but nor running it. One time it happened in my rehearsal studio and I was not connected to a computer.

I would also like to thank Kemper for stepping in so quickly. They emailed me immediately and gave me several items to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, all of their ideas on why the remote could be behaving the way it was I had already done, so they immediately shipped me out another brand new remote.

I hope this solves this problem. If not, I am sure I will write about it. I will be sure to write about it if we can get some consecutive days without it happening.

I would consider this thread closed.

Thanks,

Gary

• Same thing here. Since the latest Rig Manager with the new USB-Driver (I'm on a Mac with the latest High Sierra) I got the same experience from time to time when connected to the computer. To make this clear: This happens when the Rig Manager is not running at all! There were known problems before when the Rig Manager was connected but the computer went into hibernation. But now this happens even when the Rig Manager isn't even running. This is bad at home but terrible one stage if connected to a computer.

Same in my case, I was suspecting about Rig manager and Usb connetction (when my Mac sleeps ), nice to know about IT because os a minor problem for how i use my kemper

• Hmmm, I’m not satisfied this’s thread should be closed! I have the same problem, it’s happened about 3 times. No way to get the remote to work unless you reboot kemper. I just bought a remote a week ago so should have the latest (remote) hardware. Has kemper responded to this?

• Please don't close this thread.
    I've had the issue on many occasions. Remote reboots, I can still play but can't browse or edit anything on the kemper. Rebooting fixes the issue but this is not an acceptable solution if you ask me.
    This should be addressed asap.

• My Kemper and Remote were bought together and are about 6 months old. I have the same problem all of the sudden. It happened twice last night late into a 7-8 hour practice session at the house. I usually play a lot of 3-4 hour shows and haven't had any problems at all. I don't know how it could be related to that much time but, who knows? I do realize it could be my hardware or cable but, I have taken extremely good care of them and the cable looks fine so, I don't think that is likely the cause. Anyway, hopefully they can figure it out soon. I am very worried. It would be bad if it happened on stage!

• I don't have the impression these are all the same issues and waiting for a software update to fix a broken cable is not realistic.

@lk_bill What you describe sounds like a hang of the PROFILER, which then has a disconnect of the Remote as a direct consequence. This might have nothing to do with the Ethernet cable nor the Remote itself. Is the PROFILER OS up-to-date? Is Rig Manager involved? Are you able to reproduce the issue? Please open a support ticket and supply as much information as possible ideally accompanied by a PROFILER backup.

@tobarr2002 Is your PROFILER hanging or just the Remote disconnecting? Have you tried another short or original replacement Ethernet cable? Is your PROFILER up-to-date? Is Rig Manager involved?

• I don't have the impression these are all the same issues and waiting for a software update to fix a broken cable is not realistic.

@lk_bill What you describe sounds like a hang of the PROFILER, which then has a disconnect of the Remote as a direct consequence. This might have nothing to do with the Ethernet cable nor the Remote itself. Is the PROFILER OS up-to-date? Is Rig Manager involved? Are you able to reproduce the issue? Please open a support ticket and supply as much information as possible ideally accompanied by a PROFILER backup.

@tobarr2002 Is your PROFILER hanging or just the Remote disconnecting? Have you tried another short or original replacement Ethernet cable? Is your PROFILER up-to-date? Is Rig Manager involved?

Thanks @Burkhard for your suggestion.

It's quite time consuming to debug the issue unfortunately, since the bug is very random and could not happen at all for a long time.

This might also involve testing multiple scenarii. ie, with remote plugged / unplugged, with RM open/shut, with usb cable connected/disconnected from my mac, and so on and so forth. I will try to do that when I have a bit more time on my hands (a bit busy with work at the moment).

Regarding the firmware, I'm using the latest. I am one version down for RM.

Cheers!