Remote loses connection with Profiler

• I have the same issue. Every now and then the remote simply does not activate and the only remedy is a reboot of the KPA.

EDIT: I'm a network engineer, it's not the cable. Several known good ones, including the factory one have exhibited this issue.

• Just had this failure twice in a row.

Basically when the remote fails its display activates with the backlight and then go blank several times staying blank after the KPA is fully booted. When the remote works its display activates with the backlight, then the backlight goes off but the display does not go blank, its content remains readable albeit no backlight until the KPA finshed booting and then the remote bacllight activates.

Seems to be some sort of timing bug between the KPA and its remote.

• @darkphader Although symptoms might overlap, please don't conclude, that these are all the same issues. You are describing an issue limited to the Remote, correct? Your PROFILER is not hanging. I suggest, you open a support ticket to deal with this specific case.

@lk_bill is describing an issue, where the PROFILER is hanging. That might be a different matter. If the PROFILER doesn't work, the Remote cannot work either. In this case the PROFILER seems to be the root cause. Please open a support ticket to narrow in, what is causing these hangs.

@marzz is using a third party cable. That is not recommended. Even 3 m could be too much, if the resistance of that cable is too high. In that case the Remote could be "underpowered". If the Remote doesn't work with the original cable AND doesn't work with a third party cable, that doesn't definetly rule out the cable as the cause of the issue. I would suggest to try with a really short Ethernet cable e. g. 50cm or even better with another original cable.

@telelogic is making a logical connection to the Ethernet socket in the PROFILER!? If that one is broken, no restart of the PROFILER nor another original cable could heal the issue. If the green and yellow LEDs in that socket are lit or flickering, that socket is probably ok. Otherwise the Remote is completely and permanently dead, which doesn't seem to be the scenario in the cases above.

• I had this happen to me all of the sudden last eve several times, forcing me to shut down. The Profiler and Remote are new purchased in July and I updated the Spring Reverb Beta OS and latest firmware.

I was playing for about an hour with no issues when all of the sudden the remote went dark. After 3 reboot attempts where the Remote lit up for a second then went dark again, I was finally able to boot, but once I went into an effect setting in Performance mode and attempted to change an effect value such as delay time, the unit started changing rigs!

I unplugged everything, then realized my cell phone was laying on top of the unit! I move it away from the Kemper, unplugged for a minute and rebooted. Was fine for an hour pf playing and fiddling after that. I do remember one other time I had to reboot and I think the cell phone was on top in that instance as well. I will definitely keep an eye on this and am a bit nervous since I have a show this weekend. Hopefully that was the issue!

• I too have been having this issue.
    I've replaced the cable with a Line 6 Variax cable (I have a patch panel with the same ends and then a short jumper to the back of the Kemper in my rack.
    I lost connection and assumed a bad cable after numerous live shows. I bought a replacement cable on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Did about a dozen shows with it - always making sure I was very careful with it, never stepping on it, etc. Lost connection to the remote once or twice so I tried another network cable (CAT5E).
    Switched to a regular network cable and bypassed the patch panel and it's been doing fine but was shorter than I needed for a larger stage.
    I had a new CAT7 cable and started using that and again, lost connection to the remote during a show - I reached down and unplugged it and plugged it back in and it came back to life and worked the rest of the show.
    I purchased this a few minutes ago so I'll see if it does any better -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My thought is that it's totally not the cable - I'm thinking it's more in the remote connection itself.

Nothing is connected to USB and no flash drives are connected.
    One thing of note; I do have a midi cable connected and it's running to an iConnectivity Midi4+
    In one of my bands, I use automation to do amp switching (has always worked great for many shows, but still have the remote connected for times when I need to switch back to it for the occasional song).
    This weekend however, no automation was being done, nothing was connected to the iConnectivity to have it send any signals....which makes me think that it's not causing an issue.

Has anyone replaced it or is the answer always to send it to repair (which isn't really feasible since I gig so often).

• I had a similar issue tonight at rehearsal. The remote seemed to loose power and shut off. when I tried to turn off the power to the Kemper, the knob wouldn't even turn the unit off. It was in the off position and the Kemper still had power. I had to pull the power chord from the back of the unit to get it to turn off. This was really bad timing as I was in the middle of run-through.

A few things. I have the rack version and in the rack I have a power conditioner that I plug into.I did have the computer connected to the unit via USB and Rig Manager was running on my Mac. The only thing I did outside of what came with the remote was switch to a shorter cable as the one that came with the unit is 5 miles long and I don't need this much cable. I replaced it with a standard Cat5 cable and it's worked fine until now.I really hope something is found as it seems too many people are having this similar issue. This renders the unit useless if I can't depend on the remote to control my performances.

• A few things. I have the rack version and in the rack I have a power conditioner that I plug into.I did have the computer connected to the unit via USB and Rig Manager was running on my Mac.

I don´t think it´s related to the remote.
    I have a similar problem: when rig manager is connected to the Kemper, and i close my macbook, disconnect the usb cable or the mac shuts down, the kemper freezes. I turn it off , but it takes like a minute till the Kemper shut´s down. Only happens with my Laptopp connected, otherwise never had an issue with the remote.
    Open a support ticket with version of Rig Manager, Os, Kemper version etc.

• I don´t think it´s related to the remote.I have a similar problem: when rig manager is connected to the Kemper, and i close my macbook, disconnect the usb cable or the mac shuts down, the kemper freezes. I turn it off , but it takes like a minute till the Kemper shut´s down. Only happens with my Laptopp connected, otherwise never had an issue with the remote.
    Open a support ticket with version of Rig Manager, Os, Kemper version etc.

This would explain why the power wouldn't turn off. I guess it was just taking longer than normal if it was hung up. I will go for it again on Sunday without the computer and RM running. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

• This would explain why the power wouldn't turn off. I guess it was just taking longer than normal if it was hung up. I will go for it again on Sunday without the computer and RM running. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

There still appears to be known issues with computers (mac or windows) being connected while the kemper is in performance mode. I have never had an issue when using performance modem when the computer is not linked but I have had a few funny things happen when connected. It appears fine in browser mode though regardless of the computer is connected or not (or that’s my experience). It’s always still worth logging a support ticket and giving them as much detail as you are able. In the meantime when using live do not have your computer connected to the kemper.

• Same issue here. Happens few times still with latest OS and Rig manager. Mostly I noticed as well in Performance mode with Rig Manager connected.

---

EB

• So many peoples having power problems with the Remote. Do you have support from Kemper to fix this ? Thinking about buying a Remote but not that sure after reading that... Maybe I should keep my GCP instead.

Claude

• Hotpico I’m not sure that loads of people are having problems. Remember that very few people report “everything is working fine” in a forum or Facebook page so the number of issues relative to the number of devices is probably relatively small. I bought mine used nearly a year ago and haven’t had a single problem with it.

• I agree Wheresthedug . And I know that sometimes things just happened. If the problem is fixed in a sustainable way, there is nothing to complain about. I can read in the forum that Kemper's team work on tickets they received and the service seems very good and efficient, wich is reassuring.

However, situations involving the use of Rig Manager on a laptop while in performance mode are strange. You never had a problem in this situation ?

Thanks

Claude

• I can join the ranks of those whose connection to the remote has now been working without complaint for over 3 years.

I regret anyone who has a problem with the remote.

But I've often noticed that it's mostly Mac users have these problems.

I find the implication of third-party software easier on Windows than on Mac, which can even change per version.

This could be a reason that makes it more difficult for the mothership to be stable. I also have seen that they are working hard to solve.

Often I also I've read about incompatible versions at KPA and RM.

Regardless of the OP system, I would recommend everyone to leave the OS updating of KPA and RM to the rig manager. Whether you want beta or just release versions. (is selectable under preferences). Thus an possible error is missing.

• Many mention the cable itself as the problem...... My cable does not lock into the back of the Kemper,

I can gently pull on it and it slides out until losing contact as it doesn't have the locking feature like the remote.

Just thought I would toss that out there as I thad to rig an external jack on my gator case and secure a small cable to the unit for my fix! X(