Peavey Classic 50/50 and power amp troubles

• I've been having a bit of a crisis in regards to my power amp situation. Back when I got my Kemper, I picked up the Classic 50/50 loaded with EL84s, aiming for a scenario wherein I run preamp profiles into the tube poweramp, then run a full merged profile over the PA. However, I've found that the 50/50 does not colour the tone as much as I'd want or expect; for some reason, running preamp profiles through it results in the signal being thin and scratchy. Not like "something wrong", but more like "very clean power amp" type vibe. I want to do some A/B stuff with the poweramp of my ENGL Savage just to make sure it isn't the Peavey, but if it is, then I'm sort of reconsidering my power situation.

To compensate, I've been running the studio profile I made of my Savage with the cab off. Despite the imprecise method of doing so, it actually sounds fairly similar to my actual Savage. However, this sort of defeats the purpose of having a tube poweramp; this thing takes up 2 units and makes my rack heavy. If I'm running profiles with the poweramp baked in, why have a tube poweramp?

Basically, my question is: does anyone else have experience with this thing? Has anyone else shared my experience, or am I off-base? I just want to make sure and get a lot of info, because this situation is making me consider getting a powered Kemper, but that'd be kind of a process I'd rather not go through. I'm also contemplating getting a SS power amp, but that's also a big ol' can of worms.

• The only time you’d probably want to have the Cab sim off is when you’re using the 50/50 into a standard guitar cab. If you’re using the power amp into a PA speaker, the sound will be pretty awful without the cab section on.

A guitar speaker is probably reproducing frequencies from roughly 80hz to 6,000hz. A PA speaker can typically do 20hz to 20,000hz. The EQ difference is rather drastic as well. I like using tube power amps (Peavey 60/60 and Mesa 2:90) but only with a guitar cab. Tube (Alternating Current) power reacts with limited range woofers in an ear pleasing matter. FRFR speakers don’t have the same reaction and can handle much higher power, thus effectively neutralizing the appeal of a tube power amp.

• The only time you’d probably want to have the Cab sim off is when you’re using the 50/50 into a standard guitar cab. If you’re using the power amp into a PA speaker, the sound will be pretty awful without the cab section on.

A guitar speaker is probably reproducing frequencies from roughly 80hz to 6,000hz. A PA speaker can typically do 20hz to 20,000hz. The EQ difference is rather drastic as well. I like using tube power amps (Peavey 60/60 and Mesa 2:90) but only with a guitar cab. Tube (Alternating Current) power reacts with limited range woofers in an ear pleasing matter. FRFR speakers don’t have the same reaction and can handle much higher power, thus effectively neutralizing the appeal of a tube power amp.

That is exactly what I do. I run the Monitor Out into the Peavey into a 4x12, and then the Main Out to the PA, so the PA is getting the full Merged Profile with the cab section. This works well, except for the part where due to the coloration (or lack thereof) of the tube power amp I'm worried it's become redundant, which given how much space it takes up and weight it adds (as well as my shifting opinion towards profiling the whole amp like Kemper recommends vs just the preamp), it's a bit of a problem.

• Ah I get what your saying. Yeah I have found that they definitely sound best when everything is profiled. I get too much bass and woofy/boxiness when I make direct profiles. Then it gets thin and scratchy if I try to merge a cab.