Unable to update profiler via USB stick or Rig manager

• I just received my new power profiler today.
    Im on a 09 mac pro running OS El Capitan 10.11.6

I registered an online acct and downloaded the latest rig manager 2.1.41 (13350)

The unit itself says, in the system > device settings menu: OS Version: Release: 5.2.0.12879
    I believe the website shows the latest being 5.4.1

Rig Manager synced 243 profiles and 7 performances when I attached it to the unit via a usb cable.

PROBLEMS

• I thought it was supposed to recognize that my profiler could be updated but there is never a prompt. Ive selected check for updates several times, after several reboots of the profiler but no prompt. I also checked the "check for betas" too.
    • I formatted a sandisk usb stick on the mac to MS-DOS (fat). When I insert it into the kemper while sitting at any menu the kemper just freezes. I cant navigate or do anything. No prompts or menu options come up.
      • I tried ex fat as well same issue. Ive reformatted, and rebooted the kemper many times. Same result.

Thanks in advance for any help

• My first suggestion is to format the USB stick with the Kemper not the Mac. It's a little picky about formatting. I had a similar issue until I reformatted using the Kemper.

As far as the update, I believe you HAVE to upgrade from a USB stick (I may be wrong). That's how I do it anyway, I download the update and put it in the Shared folder on the USB stick. The Kemper finds it automatically and asks if you want to update.

Good luck, you're gonna love this thing!

• Hope you all are well and safe!

I just got me a 2nd KPA, but a Power Rack this time. Current FW is 5.2.0.12879.

Q1: How to update Firmware while the KPA doesn´t read the Update File from the formated USB-stick? How may I force the KPA to read the Update-file?

Fact: I´m selling my unpowered Toaster to it´s new owner tomorrow . The display on my KPA Power Rack reads USB-stick as External Storage, and would not read the OS Update file (the USB-stick has been formated by the KPA Power Rack.

Q2: Is there a safe way to go around this to update the FW 5.2.0.12879 to 7.5.4 ?
    I´m not able to communicate with the KPA Power Rack other than changing it´s name to the same as the Toaster. Toaster has been unregistered on my Kemper Profile sign in, while the Power Rack is registered.

Fact: I can not find all the 244 profiles from the KPA on the USB-stick even though I have copied profile by profile the manual way.

Q3: Is it possible to update the KPA with the new FW from the USB-stick while turning the KPA on and holding down two buttons? I found a thread, but the person was not sure witch buttons to press while turning the KPA to tuner.

All help appreciated - Thanks!!!

• If your classical PROFILER™ model is operating under a software revision older than 7.3 release, it cannot be upgraded to current software revisions in one step. Please upgrade to 7.3.2 release first, then in another step upgrade to any more recent OS revision e.g. 7.4.
    If your classical PROFILER model is even running an OS older than 1.8.2, you need to take three steps to get current: first install 1.8.2, then 7.3.2, then current OS.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/do…/Older-Software-Versions#

if this don't work go from FW 5 to FW 6 to 7.3.2
    Always boot direct from USB Stick as described in the link above.

Be the force with you ;)

• You can upgrade from OS 5.2.0 to OS 7.3.2 in one step and further to current OS 7.5.4 release or OS 8.0.2 public beta in a second step. You can use the normal upgrade procedure via USB memory stick.

• Thanks for looking into it! I did get help on FB Kemper profiling amp / kpa user group earlier today.

I found one issue in the equation that was an eyeopener for me. I used a new SanDisk 32GB USB 3.0 driver. The KPA started to read the OS Update from the drive, but it failed on several updates back to OS 6.0. I startet to think of the KPA that´s about 9 years of age this year that the team used USB 2.0 protocol. I was right, and when I put the files on an older USB 2.0 driver the 7.1.5 went smooth, and I continued when the update was done.

My KPA Power Rack now runs FW 7.5.4.19312 and communicates with RigManager just flawless.

Love the KPA and will keep to it as I only got one tube amp left a 3rd Power Dream Solo 2 ´65 Blackface. Now I just need a KPA DI to profile the head.

Thanks for putting your effort out and help with tips and tricks.

Now I only need some tip/ trick on how the KPA RJ45 cable is wired as it did not follow the combo of 4U rack case, KPA Power Rack and Controller.

Any of you may confirm how it´s wired in both ends of the two RJ45 connectors? A close up pick in good light conditions would help me a lot as I`ve got cable and connectors in bulk and skills to make the cable.

Thanks again for taking your time offering a helping hand to all of us in need of tips and tricks to solve our issues. Much appreciated!

Best Regards from Norway.

• The wiring is in line with LAN standard. In principle you could use any LAN cable, BUT the cable needs to be optimized for very low resistance.

This is from the Main Manual:

Cabling

The PROFILER and PROFILER Remote communicate with each other via an ethernet cable. The cable included in the PROFILER Remote package with its Neutrik® etherCON® cable connector carrier has been carefully selected and is perfectly suited for this purpose. If you decide to use any 3rd party cable, please make sure it meets our quality standards.

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e.g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector).

You find these and more hints in that chapter in the manual. You could also simply order an original spare cable in our online store.

By the way, we have tested all kinds of USB memory sticks, different brands, sizes, hybrid, age,.... and have not found any limitations other than that broken sticks don't work with any device. If your update didn't work with that SanDisk stick, don't draw generic conclusions. Perhaps the kaos.bin file accidentally got corrupted during download or unmounting the stick.

• Thanks Burkhard!

10FT cable is all that I need for my home studio in this Covid-19 lockdown/no gigging.

The kaos.bin file was downloaded to my Macbook Pro and copied to each USB drive the same way in all tries to update the KPA Power Rack. If the file was corrupted all the OS versions was corrupted when copy and paste from my Kemper folder on my Macbook Pro to the same USB drive. I always eject the USB drive for safe removal of the USB drive to not loos any files. The SanDisk works for everything else. It might be that those hours I was trying to update the KPA OS something occurred that´s out of anyones control.

Thanks again for the update 8)

• I can only say, that up to now each time we are trying to verify a perceived generic USB-stick limitation, we do fail. The PROFILER even accepts all kinds of file systems. If a stick is not FAT32, the PROFILER suggests to reformat. However, sometimes single USB sticks have hickups. I once experienced myself, that a stick that used to work seemlessly, suddenly was not recognized anymore by my PC, while my wife's PC showed no issues with that very same stick. After a repair the stick worked again on all PCs. But these are no generic issues of any types or brands or sizes of USB sticks nor specific to the PROFILER.

Regarding the cable ... with just 10 feet you could try a standard off the shelf LAN cable for your home studio