Duesenberg and Kemper

• Can anyone comment on a combination of a Duesenberg (TV Starplayer) with Kemper Profiler in terms of versatility, playability, usefulness, sound performance, strat and Les Paul in one (?), experiences etc.

• As you know it's not about the Kemper and the guitar. It is all about the profiles, cabs and the guitar. What I can tell you is that the Duesenberg humbuckers don't sound anything like various Gibson or TV Jones or whatever humbuckers. In most cases they are custom wound for their guitars. I have to admit I never liked them. They seem to have less output (I don't got data - it just seemed to me when I tried some Duesenbergs), a totally different sound and to me they were not fitting for my mid-gain playing. I like Rock 'n' Roll/ punk sounds like Social D. etc. - It's not really high-gain but maybe a little more than mid-gain and the guitars seemed to me like they would be more usefull for like classic rock tones on the edge of break up amp-wise speaking.
    Do you know what I mean?
    And of course: This is totally my point of view. I think for distorted and overdriven sounds they sound nothing like a Gibson (I play a ES-339 Gibson Memphis mostly and also played Les Pauls and Melody Makers etc.). But if you tend to stay clean or a little crunchy you might like them. They are very well built and the necks are awesome.
    I'm just telling you this because I think at least for a Strat/ Les Paul in one they wouldn't fit.

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

• I have to agree with @10w73 here. It won't give you the "LP/Strat in one" at all. I own a Duesenberg Double Cat which is basically the same like a Starplayer with a different body shape (and color). It has a pretty distinct sound and I dig it for specific situations. Especially the Domino P90 is great. But I'm sure I'll never squeeze anything even similar to a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster out of it.

Does it work with the Profiler? Yes, of course it does. It does very well, actually. Why I state this like it was the ultimate and undisputable truth? Because the Profiler allows every guitar to maintain its specific character. And the Duesenbergs do have a pretty unique character, some love it, some don't. All I can say is that they're not made to "copy" another guitar. You'll have to try and find out on your own, I guess. :)

• Having said this, it's not an option to play Voodoo Chile with a Les Paul, apart from the fact that there's not a really rig for this. I can't find a decent tone for this song. I found a 1978 Dumble OD profile in RM, but it sounds bad. At the same time it sounds awesome on https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/watch?v=7B5MSVO3uic
    And that's the trouble. Many rigs sound badass with my LP compared with the real thing, in examples, youtubes etc. Unfortunately I'm not a Fender player.

• Having said this, it's not an option to play Voodoo Chile with a Les Paul, apart from the fact that there's not a really rig for this. I can't find a decent tone for this song. I found a 1978 Dumble OD profile in RM, but it sounds bad. At the same time it sounds awesome on https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/watch?v=7B5MSVO3uic
    And that's the trouble. Many rigs sound badass with my LP compared with the real thing, in examples, youtubes etc. Unfortunately I'm not a Fender player.

Have you tried that specific rig with different cabs? To mind my apart from the guitar it is all about the cab (while of course the amp influences the sound also a lot). It is true that no matter what amp I use or what cab I use I can tell that this is my guitar. But: The cab can change to overall sound of a rig completely. Lock a cab from a rig that you like or take a look into Tills Cab Lab and his free stuff for starters. Maybe you can tweak the rig you mentioned to your taste.

In fact what you are describing is true:

Many rigs sound badass with my LP compared with the real thing

As @lightbox said:

the Profiler allows every guitar to maintain its specific character

Which is cool but not what you want for that specific case.

Have you taken a look into the the Ernie Ball/ Music Man stuff? Never played one but watched a lot of videos. The new Valentines they showed at the this years NAMM seem to be awesome. Maybe this guitar is more of a Strat/ Paula Mix? You could play around with the coil split etc. But if you need a true Strat tone you will need a true Strat. That's what Strats are known for, you know. :thumbup: I think it is good that way. I didn't want to have my Gibsons sound anything like a Strat. I wouldn't even want my Teles to sound anything like a strat. But Strats are cool for what they are I think ... :thumbup:

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

You can still play “Voodoo Chile”, you don’t have to sound exactly like someone else to still play a song. Even SRV did not sound exactly like Jimi.

It’s about finding your sound, then play it with passion.

• I have to agree with @10w73 here. It won't give you the "LP/Strat in one" at all. I own a Duesenberg Double Cat which is basically the same like a Starplayer with a different body shape (and color). It has a pretty distinct sound and I dig it for specific situations. Especially the Domino P90 is great. But I'm sure I'll never squeeze anything even similar to a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster out of it.

Does it work with the Profiler? Yes, of course it does. It does very well, actually. Why I state this like it was the ultimate and undisputable truth? Because the Profiler allows every guitar to maintain its specific character. And the Duesenbergs do have a pretty unique character, some love it, some don't. All I can say is that they're not made to "copy" another guitar. You'll have to try and find out on your own, I guess. :)

Well, talking about "never squeeze anything even similar to a Gibson Les Paul": Here's the proof that this not right. So this is really a Duesenberg and yes, he's also using a Kemper Profiler. I would love to know what kind of rig this is....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpIekWwig4k