Kemper Rig Manager not seeing Profiler - OSX

• I received a reply from Kemper about the
    kext file too. Unfortunately I can’t find that file on my MacBook. If I go to Library/Extensions I see 15 instances of .kext files but none of them are Kemper. I also don’t have the previous version of the RM software update so I can’t go that route either. I replied back to Kemper about not finding the .kext file so I’m still without RM.
    I did a search of the computer but no results for a Kemper .kext file. Very frustrating

not every issue is the same. you're posting a reply into a thread which has nothing to do with your issue in the first place. by the way: macOS doesn't search inside the system and library folders.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• When you try to delete a .kext, in High Sierra, also have a look at /Library/StagedExtensions and subfolders (like /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions). If you find a .kext there, the steps to delete it are:

- disable SIP - Instructions here - reboot
    - delete the .kext from StagedExtensions, reboot
    - re-enable SIP
    - then re-install the new software (e.g. Rig Manager)

(Removing files in /Library/StagedExtensions can also be done without disabling SIP, via command line in Recovery, as described here.)

Let me know if that works. It's been a while since I rolled back from High Sierra to Sierra. IIRC, I resolved a similar issue by following these steps.

• by the way: macOS doesn't search inside the system and library folders.

macOS doesn't search inside /System and /Library by default.

If you would like to include system files in your search results:

- hit cmd-f to open a search window
    - in the pop-up menu (that, by default, shows 'Name') select "Other..."
    - now you'll see a long list of search criteria that you can include in your search (many very useful options...)
    - select 'System files'
    - select 'are included'

By doing that, Spotlight finds things like Kernel Extensions in /System.

You can tick 'In Menu' in the search option window, so that search criteria that you frequently use always show up in the pop up menu.

• I have the same issue. I think it started with OS 5.5.2. I am on High Sierra 10.13.3, the last one approved by Avid for Pro Tools. I have no KEXT in the usual folder, but there is one in Library/StagedExtentions/Library last changed in august 2017. I guess this is the file that is no longer used? I can not remove it. I tried the instructions to boot in recovery mode 3 times until I remembered that I am on a PCI m2 blade startup drive and that does for some reason not support recovery drives... Anyway, Rig Manager does not see the Kemper. I can still select and load presets, but they take 5 seconds tro load and after a few different ones loaded, it hangs the Kemper. The ToastME app works perfectly...

PM sees the Kemp, but it does not sync and shows it has 0 profiles. Removing and re-inserting the USB cable at the Kemper end either crashes RM or just makes it disappear from RM completely.

Has anyone tried to update to the latest spring reverb beta? Did that improve things?

Update: I downloaded and installed the RM 2.0 version found under category/older software versions in the downloads. It is version 2.0.17 to be exact. From 2014.. But it works on High Sierra. That old dog works for me as I expect it to. It sees the Kemp, syncs and lets me select rigs quick and easy. Wake me up when there is a newer version available that actually works on HS! :D

• I tried the instructions to boot in recovery mode 3 times until I remembered that I am on a PCI m2 blade startup drive and that does for some reason not support recovery drives...

Does that mean that you're on a Hackintosh? Every macOS install automatically creates a Recovery Partition, and if that's not available, boots from Internet Recovery. If you're on a Hackintosh, all bets are off, you can't realistically expect anything to work. If not, it may be worth digging into what exactly is going on. Using an older version of RM is a workaround, it won't support the latest Kemper OS indefinitely.

If you have an external boot disk (meaning, one that's not your default startup disk), you could try to boot from that, to remove the relevant files in StagedExtensions on your regular boot disk.

• Thanks. I am on an Apple Mac Pro 5.1 12core. But like I said, PCI blades are notable but do not support recovery partitions for some reason. I am aware that there are other solutions and I do have an external bootable drive laying about for emergencies. Since I strongly doubt it would solve this, I have not gone there. Awaiting response from Kemper support instead:)

• Thanks. I am on an Apple Mac Pro 5.1 12core. But like I said, PCI blades are notable but do not support recovery partitions for some reason. I am aware that there are other solutions and I do have an external bootable drive laying about for emergencies. Since I strongly doubt it would solve this, I have not gone there. Awaiting response from Kemper support instead:)

As long as there's a kext (or app) in StagedExtensions, it may prevent the correct install of new software, like the new RigManager.

StagedExtensions is part of the new security features in High Sierra.

• I am also on mac pro 12 core, kemper sent me 3 or 4 different rig manager versions to try, nothing worked. They then asked for a sysdiagnosis from my mac, I declined as I do not know what information that diagnosis contains. I have also installed rig manager on my 2016 4 core macbook pro, yesterday rig manager 2.1.41 (13350) did not want to see my profiler at all, to day it see's it, last week it did the same, some days it decides to see nothing and others it's okay.
    My Mac Pro and rig manager are completely incompatible anymore, as soon as I open rig manager it just freezes the kemper, I have to physically power drain the kemper in order to get it functional again. I am using the rack mount profiler, powered version. I really hop they sort this out soon.

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• we are investigating this issue. as it turns out, we cannot replicate it so please get in touch with support.

If you can't replicate it on a clean High Sierra install, it may mean that replicating it means installing a specific version of RM on Sierra, then upgrading to High Sierra. Meaning, the OS upgrade is possibly a significant part of the issue.

You'll probably need exact details of which versions of RM and macOS are involved from one of the affected users.

• They then asked for a sysdiagnosis from my mac, I declined as I do not know what information that diagnosis contains.

You can see an overview of what sysdiagnose does by looking at it's manual page: open Terminal.app, and type

man sysdiagnose

Quote:
    ---
    What sysdiagnose collects:
    o A spindump of the system
    o Several seconds of fs_usage ouput
    o Several seconds of top output
    o Data about kernel zones
    o Status of loaded kernel extensions
    o Resident memory usage of user processes
    o Recent system logs
    o A System Profiler report
    o Recent crash reports
    o Disk usage information
    o I/O Kit registry information
    o Network status
    o If a specific process is supplied as an argument: list of malloc-allocated buffers in the process's heap is collected
    o If a specific process is supplied as an argument: data about unreferenced malloc buffers in the process's memory is collected

o If a specific process is supplied as an argument: data about the virtual memory regions allocated in the process
    ---

You can look at the exact files that are collected yourself.

Open Activity Monitor, select View > Run System Diagnostics. The process will probably take several minutes, then a Finder window opens that shows the content of the invisible /private/var/tmp folder. There's a .tar.gz file called sysdiagnose_... (with the date and time of the data collection). You can copy it to the Desktop, and open it by double clicking. This shows you all the data that the process collects, including log files, etc.

The data collection is local, on your computer only, no data are sent to Apple (or anyone else) during the process. So you can review the collected files, and decide if there are things you don't want to send.

Looking at things like the System Profiler report, logs and top output are standard steps when tech support looks at a complex problem.

• Thanks for that info, there reason I have not sent it is because this is what I read when they originally asked me and also advised me that if there is any private information on I do not want them to have access to I should not send it. This is what the privacy statement on Activity Monitor says:

This tool generates files that allow Apple to investigate issues with your computer and help improve Apple products. The files might contain personal information found on your device or associated with your iCloud accounts, including but not limited to your name, serial numbers of your device, your device name, your user name, your email address and email settings, file paths, file names, your computer’s IP addresses, and network connection information.

I am not happy with sending that information.

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• Thanks for that info, there reason I have not sent it is because this is what I read when they originally asked me and also advised me that if there is any private information on I do not want them to have access to I should not send it. This is what the privacy statement on Activity Monitor says:

This tool generates files that allow Apple to investigate issues with your computer and help improve Apple products. The files might contain personal information found on your device or associated with your iCloud accounts, including but not limited to your name, serial numbers of your device, your device name, your user name, your email address and email settings, file paths, file names, your computer’s IP addresses, and network connection information.

I am not happy with sending that information.

OK. Just to be clear: 'sending' is not an automatic process. So when you run sysdiagnose, it creates a report on your Mac, nowhere else. 'Sending' literally means that you email this sysdiagnose report afterwards.

So one thing you can do without any risk to your privacy is run sysdiagnose, and try to review the data yourself. You will see that things like your username and your Mac's name show up in many places in the log files, so if you don't want to disclose any of those, even emailing a subset of the collected files to support would not be practical.

You can also review logs (without forwarding them to Kemper support or anyone else) by looking at them in the Console application. One extremely helpful feature in Console is the 'Search' function. You can select a log in the sidebar on the left, and search for keywords in the log, like 'error', 'fault, 'crash', or specific process names.

I personally have no idea which log entries are relevant for Rig Manager. Kemper support may be able to point you in the right direction for your own search.

• You were clear the first time, obviously I'd have to send the info myself. I have looked at the logs and I honestly do not have the time or patience to sit and search through them, there's stuff in there I would rather not send just from reading what apple had to say.

The whole thing is rather disappointing.

Jimi Hendrix.

• I appear to have a similar issue - and created my own thread before seeing this one. I'm running MacOS 10.12.5 . I updated both the Kemper and Rig Manager to the latest version today. Regretting that now. I don't use RM that much because most of my guitar time is spent on much needed practice - so of course today - I brought it up and saw that i was a few updates behind and decided to get it all done. Now I can no longer use Rig Manager.

• As far as I know there is still no solution, I haven't had a reply in months, probably because I did not feel like sending the entire log files of my mac to kemper in order to diagnose this problem which they said is unique to my computer. It is rather frustrating.....

Jimi Hendrix.