Anyone using a Baritone guitar with their KPA?

• I've been thinking about getting an ambience guitar, baritone to be exact. I like classic Surf rock, as well as blues and other styles.

Anyone else out there using a baritone? Any profiles that are more suited for baritone?

Thinking about buying this one, with P90 and stacked lipsticks:
    https://reverb.com/item/993385…c-guitar-transparent-blue

[Blocked Image: https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--gXvtIEXL--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1517174250/uu6nzdthe3d0ai6nfgbj.jpg]
    Any other recommendations for a baritone, below $1000?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Hi,

I have one of the PRS 277SE Baritones. These come in a couple of varieties..... there is one semi hollow model with a pair of P90s and another solid with two coil tapped humbuckers. Also worth noting is that they had a refresh a year or two back which changed the pickups in the solid. Can’t remember if the p90 model changed though (worth mentioning as some places carry older stock which can be had cheaper as that’s how I got my solid body).

Very nice guitars with great build quality so if you’re looking for a baritone they are worth a look unless a trem is a must have for you - they are stop tail only.

Fender did a model a few years back but no longer make it but might be worth checking second hand?

As far as profiles, I’ve had decent results with the usual ones I like - I tend to prefer more vintage sounding things so Mbritt and Selahsounds but there are plenty on the exchange worth a go.

• Thanks for the great reply Gary_W, I was checking out the PRS 277, they look really nice, probably the nicest looking out of all the baritones I've seen.

The one thing I'm stuck on (and this is for anyone that can answer this), is the scale length for Baritone. I noticed that most of the newer baritone guitars, have the 27.7" scale length, whereas the Danelectro '66 BT, has a scale length of 29.75". I have Fender, Gibson and Gretsch guitars, so I'm familiar with the scale length differences below 26", but anything over that, my only reference is bass scale 34".

In Baritone, what does a longer scale length provide?

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• - A baritone is basically anything that's too long to be a guitar (25.5" being the longest you usually see) and too short to be a bass (a short-scale bass is normally 30"). Nowadays, of course, "extended range guitars" have kinda blurred that line. My Schecter baritone is 26.75", just to add another number to the list.

- Longer scale length = more tension for a given tuning and string gauge, so you can tune down to B (or A, or F for modern metal bands) without a) needing massive strings or b) having the strings flop around like spaghetti.

I can't say I've noticed a difference in how baritones behave with a given profile versus normal guitars though.

• - Longer scale length = more tension for a given tuning and string gauge, so you can tune down to B (or A, or F for modern metal bands) without a) needing massive strings or b) having the strings flop around like spaghetti.

I can't say I've noticed a difference in how baritones behave with a given profile versus normal guitars though.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:
    a PRS 277se has a scale length of 27.7"
    The Danelectro 66bt is 29.75"

The 29.75" scale would allow me to tune lower, and give a wider option of string gauge choices?

Thanks for the help on this.

I believe the below baritone is tuned D to D, this is what I'm looking for ultimately:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi JSB,

I’m a happy user as opposed to a Baritone expert so take this with a pinch of salt rather than complete fact :)

Baritones do allow lower tuning than on a ‘regular scale’ electric but you’re looking at tuning down so as your lowest string is a B or, in some cases, an A. So you’re a 4th or 5th down from your usual 6 string tuning.

My ears aren’t good enough to detect what’s being done in your clip but, if they have just gone to D-D then you could simply do that on a regular guitar without too many issues. It’s when you’re dropping to C Sharpe or C that a standard guitar is going to get a bit too floppy to be comfortable.

If they’re tuning down to the next D, that’s one below a bass guitar.... the four strings on a bass are tuned same as the thickest strings on a regular guitar except an octave down (-12). One idea for finding where their tuning is? Put some headphones on and play the track then find the root note with the transpose feature on the Kemper. You may find, if it’s not going too far, you could just use transpose and be happy without the new guitar :)

Regarding the scale lengths, another thing to consider is comfort for the fingers. The longer the scale is, the longer the stretches for your fingers. As the lower parts of the neck are where this is worst, and also this is the territory you’ll be spending time in because it’s only a 4th or a 5th away from a regular guitar, you might wish to consider one of the shorter scale length guitars as opposed to the 29 inch monster :). Yes, you could tune that even lower but there will be a trade off on that, the longer you go, the more it feels like you’re playing a bass :)

• Just checked out Stop the World, I like the baritone even more now. Love that old spaghetti western vibe, with the tremolo and reverb, sounds great Gary_W! Do you find yourself using 'special' profiles for your PRS 277se, or are you using the same profiles as your guitar track? Are you tuned a fourth, or a fifth down, on Stop the World?

Thanks for taking the time to help with this, I really appreciate it.

I ended up finding a 15% off deal at Reverb.com, late last night, and couldn't pass it up:
    [Blocked Image: https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--dY-1ZJXp--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1517174540/zdasq20p2hqjibnodotk.jpg]

Looking forward to strange and wonderful new tunings.

• I've got a semi hollow PRS SE 277, the p90s are outstanding. I can't say that I use specific profiles for the guitar, just whatever suits the song.

Despite having played bass for years, I still struggle with the 27.7" scale length. It's the little things that add up such as playing an open D chord. The additional length just makes it seem a little more fatiguing and tricky to hit quickly. I can't say that I'd be interested in trying anything longer but we all have different hands and technique.

• I use a Dano Dead on 67 Baritone and a Squier Bass Vi the Vi is tuned G- G the Dano B-B I tend to use Fender style amp profile like a Bassman or a twin and a bit if slap tape delay in the last stomp slot ...I love the Bari twang tones used by the likes of Jimmie Vaughan/JD Mcpherson and Brian Setzer :)

• I've got a semi hollow PRS SE 277, the p90s are outstanding. I can't say that I use specific profiles for the guitar, just whatever suits the song.

Despite having played bass for years, I still struggle with the 27.7" scale length. It's the little things that add up such as playing an open D chord. The additional length just makes it seem a little more fatiguing and tricky to hit quickly. I can't say that I'd be interested in trying anything longer but we all have different hands and technique.

Yikes, another vote for the 27.7" scale length, now I'm wondering if I made wrong choice going with the 29.75". I'm about 6'2" 170 lbs., my hands look the same, kinda long and skinny, hopefully I can hang on to 29.75" :) .

This video tipped me over to the Danelectro side:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for the reply Chu.

I use a Dano Dead on 67 Baritone and a Squier Bass Vi the Vi is tuned G- G the Dano B-B I tend to use Fender style amp profile like a Bassman or a twin and a bit if slap tape delay in the last stomp slot ...I love the Bari twang tones used by the likes of Jimmie Vaughan/JD Mcpherson and Brian Setzer :)

That Fender VI looks pretty sweet, I had a hard time not choosing it, as I love Fender period. I may have to look into the Fender VI at some point, if all goes well with the Danelectro. I have a decent selection of Bassman and Twin profiles, free and paid, thanks for the tip millstudios, I'll start out with those. Will definitely play with tape echo and slap, so looking forward to playing with something out of the ordinary.

Thanks again guys.

• Here's a Jerry Jones model 8)

I found a 5 string Schecter Cello Blaster. Tuned BEADG.

With a Friedman it means never having to say your sorry.
    It plays sweet thru a Morgan or a Twin.

External Content soundcloud.com

• Hi JSB,

Congratulations on the Danelectro - it looks awesome (I love the offset Mosrite kind of thing it's got going there - very cool). I'm sure you'll cope with the scale and be just fine.

I've just loaded up the 'Stop the World' song in my DAW as I couldn't remember for the life of me what I actually used! It was actually an MBritt Colonial from this pack

https://mbritt.com/product/her…olonial-pack-35-profiles/ which is one of his cheaper ones and it's a pack I keep coming back to :) It's profile 1 8 which has a gain of 4 according to Rig Manager. Effects wise, used Tremolator which is one of the Soundtoys plugins (which are excellent). Reverb was out of the Slate Versuite Classics (I subscribed to their bundle and got this as a 'free' plugin to keep forever so despite me no longer subscribing, this plugin is still my go to reverb).

But, profile wise, I've noodles with it on pretty much anything - I just went with the Colonial as it sounded right for the track and frankly that is my approach with any profile. Me and my guitars seem to like almost anything MBritt does and I'm also really liking the Selah Sounds stuff. But neither would make a metal fan 100% happy. It's all good though :)

• That Jerry Jones model is a 28" scale length apparently, and an expensive looking Danelectro; man I hope the 29.75" wasn't a mistake. Jerry Jones was tearing the strings off that, sounded great! I was surprised how well the baritone guitar and bass fit together, I was thinking they would be competing in one way or another, but they complement each other nicely.

The Cello Blaster and Friedman sound great together! Heavy, doesn't seem like a strong enough word for it :thumbup: . Nicely done!

Thanks for finding that out for me, Gary_W! I have the MBritt Colonial pack too, stoked! I'll look into Soundtoys Tremolator, is it a lot better than the KPA tremolo effect? I have a spring reverb pedal I can't wait to try out with baritone. I'm not too into metal any more, love the cleans and gritty over-driven stuff.

Thanks again guys.

• I really like the Soundtoys stuff and am fortunate enough to have the bundle. I wouldn’t recommend just buying right now unless desperate though; they often have sales. Normally summer and Black Friday.

You can get a 30 day demo of all their plugins to see which work for you. Worth doing as, at first, they did not like Studio One on my system but updates mean I’m now ok. As well as the sales, pretty much every year they give away one of their plugins entirely foc - it’s usually a mini version but free is free.

Even if it’s not one that is of interest, it’s worth grabbing the free one. When you come to buy other plugins they have decent loyalty discounts that mean other plugins in their range get cheaper - even if the only ones you own are their free ones!! Combine this with sales and also buy from Audiodeluxe who reduce them even more and you’re away... the entire bundle is full price is $500 or so and there are people out there who have paid under $100 for the whole lot due to having multiple free plugins. Think I paid around $150 with the two freebies I had. Echoboy, panman, electric mistress and tremolater are all very cool and the others will all get used at some point..... Sure I used filter freak on one track too. These days I’m just using the Slate reverb, Soundtoys for anything creative and Neutron / Ozone for making the mix play nice. Oh, and virtual tape / console within Studio One mix engine.

• This video tipped me over to the Danelectro side:

Thanks for the reply Chu.

You might love it, I don't have big hands and in no way do I dislike the 27.7" length, it just changes how and what I play. It's not something that leapt out at me, just what I noticed after a while. But an instrument that pushes you to play in a different way can be a wonderful thing and get you right out of that rut!

• Actually I also use a Hohner (sorry just remembered as I haven’t used it recently !!) that is 25.5” scale and uses Newtone Baritone strings ...(.020-.074) tuned to G as well and it’s slinky as hell will try and put up a video when I get a minute !!

• Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:a PRS 277se has a scale length of 27.7"
    The Danelectro 66bt is 29.75"

The 29.75" scale would allow me to tune lower, and give a wider option of string gauge choices?

Technically you can tune as low as you want on any guitar with any strings. If you want the tension to stay the same as you're used to, you need to either increase the string gauge or the scale length. Or both, if you're going really low.

So, not so much a "wider" range of string gauges as "you can use lighter strings than that tuning on a normal guitar". I actually keep the baritone I mentioned tuned to D (one step down), usually with something like .60s, because I'm a weirdo.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    8)

• Technically you can tune as low as you want on any guitar with any strings. If you want the tension to stay the same as you're used to, you need to either increase the string gauge or the scale length. Or both, if you're going really low.
    So, not so much a "wider" range of string gauges as "you can use lighter strings than that tuning on a normal guitar". I actually keep the baritone I mentioned tuned to D (one step down), usually with something like .60s, because I'm a weirdo.

Thanks for the clarification, Lokasenna. I was thinking I would end up in D to D also, but after the video Muddy' posted, I'm about to experiment with these tunings too.

8)

Perfect timing! Just got the Dan66bt today, it's in B to B right now, sounds bold through the KPA. Lots of fun getting a different tone with the standard fretboard layout. I'll definitely be trying these alternative tunings, thanks for that!

Also, the 29.75" baritone scale length isn't bad at all, if anything, the arms-reach feels more foreign, than the distance between the frets. It wasn't difficult to adapt to the new scale, feels very natural in a short amount of time.

Thanks again guys :thumbup: