M Britt Profiles what am i doing wrong?

• Guys let’s stop having a go at the OP. He has apologised already and I get his frustration.

Personally I always found Mbritt profiles pretty good. I mean sometimes a bit dark if anything but generally forward and thick sounding - in a good way.

I’ve recently been using his two rock profiles from the dumble pack with a real two rock 2x12 and it does sound awesome.

I have used a PRS hollowbody, Strat, Teles, Ibanez vai signature, Suhr modern etc and all can sound great with no real tweaking other than the front eq, just like I’d have to with a real amp.

Maybe these profiles just aren’t for you but it sounds like something could be off somewhere.

• Also, I think his newer packs are brighter sounding than some of the older ones.

• Which one is the Vox pack you're talking about? I cannot see it in MBritt's profiles list...

• I found that when I replaced my Allen & Heath ZED-10 analog mixer with an RME Fireface UFX +, Mike's profiles came alive. I'm playing a PRS through a pair of Atomic CLR NEO MkII's.

• Which one is the Vox pack you're talking about? I cannot see it in MBritt's profiles list...

This is his main AC30 pack:

https://mbritt.com/product/65-ace30-pack-34-profiles/

He has some nice sounding Vox amps in other packs, too, though. I don't have all of his, but Pack 2 has a nice AC30 TB.

Sweet 16 has some AC 30CC in it (not sure what that one is).

There are also some boutique takes on the Vox sound in some of his packs.

• Regarding M.Britts profiles I have noticed that there are contradictory assessments which are mostly dependent on application.
    In a GIG with sufficient volume they are described as very good and assertive. The assessments are often not so good for home use.
    I am a Strat player and I use his profiles in live mode for rather nostalgic rock music and I am very happy with it.
    Also in the big band with rather jazzy attitudes I get along well with it. (I can't imagine heavy metal with it.)
    For me Michael is one of the very good profilers even though there are more controversial experiences published about him than about others.

• Hey guys sorry for not responeding but as soon as the thread was moved here i had no access to it.

Now im fine.

So you guys made it clear to me how to interpret the profiles from M Britt or others.
    As far as i grasped it its not that the profiles are bad or im doing something wrong they just aren't
    my type of sound. And yeah as you guys said thats totaly fine because we all have different tastes.

I used to tend to darker sounding guitar sounds to the point where there were basically not definition left.
    Today with way better gear to monitor on i tend to brighter more open sounding amps and the
    kemper is capable of delivering to much information. I love profiles which use to full spectrum
    from good lows to crisp highs.
    These may not be good in live situations, what Britt seem to cover. But they sound good in isolation,
    I'm a bedroom guitarist without the need for a live setup so i wan't good full range amp sounds.

And there are other profiling studios that deliver very nice sounding full range profiles. They may not suit
    everyone like you said and thats fine too.

In the end it was just my fault to assume that every profile could be tweaked to every taste.
    But if the original profile is lacking to much there is no way or not point in trying to bring that back.
    Just go with profilers that suit your personal taste.

Thank you guys for teaching me a valuable lesson here ;)

You folks are great.

• Michael uses P90 most of the time. As you know they sound brighter than humbucking Pickups. So when he is profiling he dials in the tone that fits to his P90s respectively less treble than
    you would probably choose with PAFs.

is to lower the bass knob to 10 o'clock or thereabouts.

Depends on the acoustic situation, but I know what you mean. Michael chooses two microphones for profiling. And the one that is responsible for the bass is a ribbon mic. Ribbon mics are known for their well bass response.
    But also for their smoothness in the top end.

• These may not be good in live situations, what Britt seem to cover. But they sound good in isolation,
    I'm a bedroom guitarist without the need for a live setup so i wan't good full range amp sounds.

you have hit on a VERY important point here. Often the sounds that are “best” in isolation aren’t the “best” in a full mix whether live or recorded. On the other hand sounds that fit in a mix perfectly often don’t sound great in isolation. And all of this changes depending on the type of music and other instruments in the mix. The key is picking sounds that fit the “context” you require.

Glad you are at peace with your profiles now. Have fun rocking out on whatever profiles float your boat :)

• ^This. One perfect example for me is "Electric Eye" from Judas Priest (studio version). Listen to the intro and pan hard (can't remember on which side the guitar theme is). The guitar sound to me is far from good (and with less gain than one would expect) but together with the whole band it sounds huge!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• you have hit on a VERY important point here. Often the sounds that are “best” in isolation aren’t the “best” in a full mix whether live or recorded. On the other hand sounds that fit in a mix perfectly often don’t sound great in isolation. And all of this changes depending on the type of music and other instruments in the mix. The key is picking sounds that fit the “context” you require.
    Glad you are at peace with your profiles now. Have fun rocking out on whatever profiles float your boat :)

Yep i guess the "context" is what leads the direction in the first place. After that comes the personal taste.
    Thats why one should always test stuff first before buying. Because only others say its good doesn't mean it
    matches ones taste.

• I'm pretty sure you're using the wrong guitar to test these profiles . M Britt uses a P90 guitar for most of his profiling sessions. They also sound great on my P90 semi hollow. P90 are really different from Hi gain active pickups for instance.

I have no idea why people gloss over this and the importance of the guitar and pickups used. to create the profile. I've always noticed that the best sounds I get from any profile, not only MBrit profiles, was after using similar pickups to the pickups used by the person who made the profile.

This is just real world, you can't dial an amp for single coils and expect that to sound good with humbucke except for sheer luck situation where an amp will sound equally good with a less paul as with strat when uputting all knobs at 12 o'clock. Ultimately the best sound is achieved by using the original guitar used in the profiling

• I have no idea why people gloss over this and the importance of the guitar and pickups used. to create the profile. I've always noticed that the best sounds I get from any profile, not only MBrit profiles, was after using similar pickups to the pickups used by the person who made the profile.
    This is just real world, you can't dial an amp for single coils and expect that to sound good with humbucke except for sheer luck situation where an amp will sound equally good with a less paul as with strat when uputting all knobs at 12 o'clock. Ultimately the best sound is achieved by using the original guitar used in the profiling

I guess that is the part were my frustration began.
    Thats why i initially bitched about the Britt profiles in particular.

Because i'm a regular Kemper user i don't study which gear a certain profiler is using and what kind of character he tries to achieve.
    So I want a JCM800 for me one of the bigger Rock amps and correct me if i'm wrong but Rock and Humbucker pickups are not
    to far away from each other. So i see a Profile pack which should give me a Rock compatible sound.

But in the end I found out that the profiler is using p90 pickups to profile them.
    I looked up the profile description and found nothing that leads to the assumption that I could get bad results using HB pickups.

Other profiler create profiles with HB and SC so you can chose what suits you best. So yeah i guess that was pretty annoying
    for me.

• I am not a MBritt fanboy - for example I am not one of those people that argument, that Kemper cab is superior than IR and at the same time celebrate the cabs in the latest pack, not being aware that most of them are just IR copied in).

But your experience (thin and distant) just don't fit. I think Mr. Britt also uses P90, cause they lie somewhere in the middle. Can't give a specific source, but I remember reading something like that from him.

Of course pu have an influence, but I still don't think that's the problem here.

I suggest: Turn off Pure Cab globally and try again. Please post some examples with Pure Cab off, so we can hear what we're talking about. Only by adjusting Treble and Bass a bit you should have no problem getting a usable "studio" sound. Maybe other profile makers fit to your needs better. But as said, still think there is something else...

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• Only other things I can think of is to

1) Make sure nothing is locked
    2) Make sure nothing is weird in the input or output section
    3) Do a global system reset (hold system while restarting. You will have to redo a few settings, but you shouldn't lose your profiles. I backed them up anyway.)

I completely agree that differently folks will like different profiles and different profiles fit different gear and uses. I just don't understand the original poster having basically the exact opposite problem of anyone else who doesn't like Michael Britt's profiles. I have JCM 800 and Jubilee packs from damn near everyone, and there are some that I prefer to Britt's, but those are are probably thinner and brighter than Britt's.

If anything, this thread has made me want to load some of Britt's 800s and Jubilees and test them out loud, with my XiTone.

• For the clips (that the OP liked!) of the 800 pack Mr. Britt used a Gibson '58 Les Paul RI with vintage output humbuckers!!

So Michael Britt uses a T-Style guitar in profiling process most of the time, favours to present the rigs in the clips with P90 equipped Tom Anderson or like in this case with Humbuckers / Les Paul.

As said, the OP liked those clips and many people have no problems to use those profiles with different pu / guitars and get useful tones (maybe not the same, but comparable and very close to the tone in the clips). Conclusion for me: User error or something wrong / defect.

Edited 3 times, last by Ibot39 ().

• Sorry, I don't want to fan the flames but; whilst pickups make a difference I use all of Michael's profiles with humbuckers. I only have to change the definition a little and EQ a little and I'm good to go. Also whilst it's true Michael's come alive at gig volume, with minor tweaks I have great bedroom volume tones (disclaimer I don't record). They may not be for everyone but "thin" they are not. When I scroll through my patches from Michael to other purchased profiles (all the big names) the others sound thinner and brighter most of the time. I'm always tweaking the others to get somewhere close to MBritt. Also not all of MBritts profiles are created equally, whilst I have used his J800 profile it's not one of his(in my ears) best profiles, but it just might be what that particular JCM 800 sounded like in the flesh anyway. Just my 2 cents, as you were people.

• He's not. He uses P90s on stage mostly ... for profiling he mostly uses a Tom Anderson Telecaster as I told you earlier in this thread.

Ok misconception on my side.

For the clips (that the OP liked!) of the 800 pack Mr. Britt used a Gibson '58 Les Paul RI with vintage output humbuckers!!

So Michael Britt uses a T-Style guitar in profiling process most of the time, favours to present the rigs in the clips with P90 equipped Tom Anderson or like in this case with Humbuckers / Les Paul.

As said, the OP liked those clips and many people have no problems to use those profiles with different pu / guitars and get useful tones (maybe not the same, but comparable and very close to the tone in the clips). Conclusion for me: User error or something wrong / defect.

Sounds plausible. I can confirm that the demos sounded indeed very good. Or else i wouldn't have bought them.
    But i couldn't get the result i was hoping for.
    Britt is recommending tweaking the parameters of the profile to an individual liking.
    I guess its a combination of many factors here.
    The Fact that i'm using pretty hot PUs on a very different sounding guitar, i'm direct monitoring them without any post processing.
    I might be able to dial in the sound to come closer to what the previews sound like but i usually dont change profiles to much
    just minor adjustments to not mess up the original characteristic.

So i would say these profiles aren't just the best basis for me to build onto