M Britt Profiles what am i doing wrong?

• I read the first and last page :) So forgive its answered in between, but what Kemper profiles have you liked? How loud are you playing? Are you new to the kemper, do you just not like the sound of the Kemper maybe (often described as not the amp in the room sound etc).

• I too had the exact same experience as the OP. While some of my patches sounded fantastic (ex. Morgan AC20 by rmpacheco), the MBritt profiles were a real disappointment for me. Eventually, after some troubleshooting I found my issue was that my 'Master Volume' setting was not compatible with the MBritt profiles. My 'Master Volume' was set to about -15db, which I choose to never adjust, in order to keep life simple. However, once I raised my 'Master Volume' to -8db, the MBritt profiles suddenly became fantastic too. So, once I modified the profiles that sounded good before the change (like the rmpacheco one) by lowering their 'Rig Volume', the world became my oyster. :)Hopefully, this helps.

• The MASTER VOLUME is only a volume control, nothing more - it doesn't add saturation or change the EQ of the signal, any perceived difference is due to the Equal Loudnes Contour effect of human hearing.

I understand the MASTER VOLUME is only a volume control. However, I also know the more you increase the volume applied to a speaker, the more effect it has on the speaker and ultimately the sound. For example, listen to one of your favorite songs on your home stereo with the volume @ 1. Now, listen to the same song (without changing any other setting) with the volume @ 5. It will absolutely sound different. That's how it was for me with the MBritt profiles. It was like I was listening to them at 1 when I should have been listening to them at 5. Because of this, my speakers weren't being "pushed" enough and so the MBritt profiles sounded flat. I know I'm only talking about a difference of approximately 7db, but for me, it was a huge difference in the final sound. Also, I know there's probably another million very technical reasons as well but I think this was the biggest factor in my case.

• I understand the MASTER VOLUME is only a volume control. However, I also know the more you increase the volume applied to a speaker, the more effect it has on the speaker and ultimately the sound. For example, listen to one of your favorite songs on your home stereo with the volume @ 1. Now, listen to the same song (without changing any other setting) with the volume @ 5. It will absolutely sound different. That's how it was for me with the MBritt profiles. It was like I was listening to them at 1 when I should have been listening to them at 5. Because of this, my speakers weren't being "pushed" enough and so the MBritt profiles sounded flat. I know I'm only talking about a difference of approximately 7db, but for me, it was a huge difference in the final sound. Also, I know there's probably another million very technical reasons as well but I think this was the biggest factor in my case.

as I pointed out in my post before, this isn't so much about the speaker as it is about the way humans process sound
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

• Having played around with some M Britt profiles for me they are a mix. I also think you purchase something you're entitled to your opinion and if its a harsh or negative then that's what it is, a few buttercups need to suck that up. I personally think some of his profiles are mind blowing, a theme I seem to find though is Britt get worse (loses some magic maybe) the more he profiles high gain. Sort of makes sense as he clearly can match his genre to perfection. Literally perfection so hat's off. The one thing I would say is if they all sound bad then that's great news as it's something you can fix, find the issue fix it and they all will slot in. Overall and considering I'm a tell it like it is kind of guy, I'm very impressed with the Britt profiles.

Kemper powerhead, Ibanez RG550 1986 (main guitar) Tokai Strat (Seldom used), Tele Vibe (Squire). V30 cab / Hifi Speakers

• a theme I seem to find though is Britt get worse (loses some magic maybe) the more he profiles high gain. Sort of makes sense as he clearly can match his genre to perfection.

You bring up an important point regarding all profiles, free or otherwise, that people often overlook. There's obviously no such thing as a genre specific amplifier. It's all about how you dial in the tone. Someone can use the same amp and profile a killer tone for genre A that would sound absolutely terrible for genre B.

I made this mistake when I first started listening to the free profiles on the rig exchange. There were all these five star high gain profiles that didn't sound very good to me at all, as I'm a classic rock guy. This was right after I got my Kemper and I began doubting whether or not it was a good purchase.

Before long I realized that genre is incredibly important when considering profiles. A massively cranked Marshall that's dialed in for post apocalyptic zombie death metal just isn't going to work in a Bad Company cover band. Dial that same Marshall in for a Bad Co tune and it's likely to be lame in the extreme for the aforementioned zombies.

Another aspect of your observation highlights the importance of expertise in a given genre. Even a guy with great ears and great skills will never quite nail a tone in a genre that's alien to what he plays. I suspect one of the reasons I enjoy the M Britt profiles is that he's a classic rock / country guy at heart, so when he dials in a high gain tone, it's what my ears are listening for. I've heard other high gain profiles that I didn't like at all, but the metal guys love it because that's what it was dialed in for.

When you see, for instance, "high gain Marshall" in the description, you subconsciously translate that to what you expect for your own style of music, and judge it accordingly. However, it's not just a Marshall JCM into a 1960A cab miked with a 57. It's the tone the profiler got out of the amp before they pressed Profile. Like so many other things in life, it's all about the context.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I made this mistake when I first started listening to the free profiles on the rig exchange. There were all these five star high gain profiles that didn't sound very good to me at all, as I'm a classic rock guy. This was right after I got my Kemper and I began doubting whether or not it was a good purchase.

me too. When I first got my KPA and started auditioning rigs in the Factory Content and Rig Exchange I was gutted by how bad some of the higher gain sounds were even though people raved about them. I found many of them way too bright, way to fizzy, with too much gain and eq added in the stomp and/or fx slots that just made it even worse. I started to question whether I had done the right thing buying the KPA after all. However, as you pointed out its all about context, taste and style. It turns out that the current popular metal type to e just don’t suit my ears or musical style even though they are perfect for some people’s needs.

• I suspect one of the reasons I enjoy the M Britt profiles is that he's a classic rock / country guy at heart, so when he dials in a high gain tone, it's what my ears are listening for.

Totally agree here and with all what is said in your posts, Chris Duncan and Wheresthedug. I am not the ultra metal guy, rather in nu metal and more flexible hard and heavy rock genre from time to time. But I love the higher gain profiles from MBritt. And it took me a while to understand the beauty (sit in the mix, cut through, live ready :)) of those profiles.

Neverthess Michael reveals in the description of his higher gain packs that he had help how to dial in appropriate tones from guys who come from other genres, e.g. the Driftwood amp or the 5153s in the Crank N Go pack (done with Sevendust techs). I think that's a great approach looking at his background and even emphasizes what you say Chris Duncan. Still it's all about his knowledge how to create great profiles. Dialing in the sounds is different.

• So I tried the AGL SOME MARSHALL and what seems interesting to me is that it includes the Graphic Equalizer in the Effects second (Post amp), set to flat but with a 4.4 (dB?) increase.

I tried one of Michaels awesome profiles and tried two options - 1) adding the graphic eq like that and then 2) just increasing the MASTER VOLUME +4.4dB.

I found the former actually warmer and more amp in the room like (I am using a Kemper Kone).

God know whats going on? Is it just my ears deceiving me ;)

Oh BTW - do grab AGL SOME MARSHALL - its a great profile and has lots of suitable gain stomps to add/subtract as you like. Not sure what lonestargtr thought of it?

• im having the same issue with mbritt.top jimmy,guidorist,and LRS they sound harsh on my Kemper Stage,i have found free profiles that sound fantastic,.also i really liked Fremen presets,i dont really understand why some profiles sound awesome and other paid profiles sound horrible:?::/

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• im having the same issue with mbritt.top jimmy,guidorist,and LRS they sound harsh on my Kemper Stage,i have found free profiles that sound fantastic,.also i really liked Fremen presets,i dont really understand why some profiles sound awesome and other paid profiles sound horrible:?::/

It usually boils down to the listening environment more than any other factor. Certain rooms can make profiles too bass heavy, or too mid-heavy or too trebly.

Have you tried auditioning with a neutral pair of headphones? You'd be surprised at how different the profiles sound in comparison to your room.

Some profiles sound perfect with one guitar and the pickups in it and with other guitars and pickups it sounds anything thatn good. I have profiles from one vendor where it sounds good with just one of my guitars. With the others and different pickups they sound ice picking. That's why I want a vendor should have at least one free profile to try if it's something for me or not.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• M Britt was the first commercial profiles I bought, the heavy pack and I was completly disapointed. TBH the only profiles of heavy amps I've liked and continue to use are from (dare I say his name) Sinmix.

• Some profiles sound perfect with one guitar and the pickups in it and with other guitars and pickups it sounds anything thatn good. I have profiles from one vendor where it sounds good with just one of my guitars. With the others and different pickups they sound ice picking. That's why I want a vendor should have at least one free profile to try if it's something for me or not.

most of the time when i bought profiles i read that the seller used a Humbucker Seymour Duncan JB on the bridge and that make me buy his profiles but when i tested the seller profilers on my Fender Strat with the Humbucker Seymour Duncan JB the seller profiles sound very harsh with no punch,same happen with some Axe 3 profiles that on the seller video sound awesome but when i tried them the presets sound horrible:S:S

• It usually boils down to the listening environment more than any other factor. Certain rooms can make profiles too bass heavy, or too mid-heavy or too trebly.

Have you tried auditioning with a neutral pair of headphones? You'd be surprised at how different the profiles sound in comparison to your room.

yes i have tried with headphones but to be honest i hate playing with headphones,but you know we spend some money on profiles just to found out that those profiles sound very badX(

• yes i have tried with headphones but to be honest i hate playing with headphones,but you know we spend some money on profiles just to found out that those profiles sound very badX(

That's not fun, wasting money. I know how it can feel. I've erased some profile packs I've bought. I wonder how many vendors lie when they say their soundclips/videos are unprocessed.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That's not fun, wasting money. I know how it can feel. I've erased some profile packs I've bought. I wonder how many vendors lie when they say their soundclips/videos are unprocessed.

im pretty sure some vendors lie when they tell people their soundclips/videos are unprocessed,same happen with the IR vendors.