M Britt Profiles what am i doing wrong?

• If is video is posted on YouTube, the sound of the video is processed during the upload to YouTube, Every video on YouTube has been processed by YouTube.

In addition to that fact, I think there are very many other variables between a demo and trying the Rigs at home.

If you like the sound of Rigs on a demo video, and the audio in the video was recorded direct from the Kemper (not a room microphone), and you listen to the the Rigs using the same speakers you used to listen to the demos, and you have the Kemper turned up enough to drive those same speakers at a similar volume, and you are using a similar guitar with similar pickups, and the pickups are adjusted to a similar distance from the strings, and you use the same volume knob technique as the player in the video, and you play with a similar enough right and left hand approach to the player in the video, then the Rigs should sound similar, other than the the post-processing done by YouTube.

I sound like me, no matter what the demo sounds like, ;)

• I didn't like many that came delivered with the unit. But his Grab n Go pack are really good. It's been said, he's a country player, uses p90S, and as such I pretty much like all his low to mid gain profiles. He has a few really good Plexi patches, but I agree that most of his higher gain stuff doesn't work for me.

There are so many profiles out there you just have to find someone who 1) uses the same gear as you 2) likes the same kinda music and 3) dials in amps like you would. It may take a while to find that person .... or .... hey .... roll yer own.

• today i was testing a mbritts profile Helios that was sounding mehh but i changed the cab and omg glorius sound,i used a LRS ir

Guidorist said that he is not a fan of switching cabs but i think after some testing that switching can make some profiles sound awesome.

the Kone Cab is going mimic different kind of speakers is almost the same like switching cabs on the profiles.

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• The algorithm to separate the cab from the amp is not perfect, therefore the result won't be "kosher" (wouldn't sound like this combination in real-life). That doesn't mean it can't sound great.

today i was testing a mbritts profile Helios that was sounding mehh but i changed the cab and omg glorius sound,i used a LRS ir

Guidorist said that he is not a fan of switching cabs but i think after some testing that switching can make some profiles sound awesome

• Hello!

I have the exact same problem! Except for the AC30 sounds, the M Britt packs are completely useless to me. Same goes for TopJimi. The only profiles I liked were from Reampzone. Since everyone was raving around how great M Britt profiles are I really started to doubt myself.

I read a lot comments on here but I am as clueless as I was before. The only thing I realized is that in order to get a perfect profile you would have to have the exact same setup as the person who created the profile which IMHO is absolutely rediculous. Or am I missing something here?

• That suggests to me that it is very much about taste rather than quality. I love the MBritt packs. I like some of the stop Jimi stuff but not all. However, I don’t get on with any of the Reampzone stuff I have tried. Not criticising them but they just aren’t for me. There is nothing we if MBritt etc don’t float your boat

• That suggests to me that it is very much about taste rather than quality. I love the MBritt packs. I like some of the stop Jimi stuff but not all. However, I don’t get on with any of the Reampzone stuff I have tried. Not criticising them but they just aren’t for me. There is nothing we if MBritt etc don’t float your boat

Stop Jimi stuff? :wacko: 8o:D

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

Yeah, but what if set something incorrectly on the Kemper. I always found that the MBritt profiles sound very dull or muffeled.
    I uploaded a testvideo to show you what I mean:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah, but what if set something incorrectly on the Kemper. I always found that the MBritt profiles sound very dull or muffeled.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yep, that's the classic lead 80 that MBritt uses on almost everything. It's good for clean to low gain, but I do not like it at all for the gain levels you're using, because it sounds dull and muffled, exactly as you describe. I suggest switching out the cab for a V30 of your choice. I use a V30 cab from one of MBritt's other profiles (Wizard) on all of his profiles with gains >~4. I've tried a few Top Jimi profiles, and I don't like them much, either.

• Context is everything. Most profiles are not "one-size-fits-all" and that's why blanket statements about X and Y are good or bad are not so productive. I've loaded Britt's profiles minutes before big gigs and turned out with glorious tones, right out of the box. However, I'd need to tweak them a lot when recording for example, also the "one cab for all" approach might be good for live but would sacrifice the amp's individual sonic identity. Others profilers' results are more geared towards recording and in comparison, might be shrill and thin if played loud. Try a bunch of profiles, compare them in a mix and live and in different styles over and over and you'll develop a better ear and intuition to go for the right thing right away depending on the situation.

• Yeah, but what if set something incorrectly on the Kemper. I always found that the MBritt profiles sound very dull or muffeled.

Sorry for not replying sooner but I wanted to test out some similar sounds at my end. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those specific profiles but I made a quick performance of 5 different Marshall rigs with similar gain levels from 5 different profilers - MBritt, Top Jimi, Ola Englund, Tone Junkie and The Amp Factory.

My favourite was MBritt 69 Marshall 50 (I used the v3K rig this time to avoid the accusations that CL80 speakers is the issue with his rigs). This was defiitely the most "full" sounding.

Least favourite Ola Englund (by far the most scooped).

Darkest Amp Factory.

Every profiler has their own strengths and weaknesses (signature sound) and there is no doubt that MBritt isn't really aiming for the Metal Market wheres Ola Englund etc are. However, all were usable and certainly had their own mojo.

I remember that the first time I used the MBritt 69 Marshall 50 rigs on a gig with no tweaking the FOH and monitor engineers both told me it was the best sound they had ever had to work with. I suppose a lot of it is also dependent on the guitar too (PRS 513 in this example).

The first time I listened to your clip on headphones I thought the MBritt Brown Eye rig sounded very dull compared to the others. However, on further listening on monitors I now think the first 2 actually both sound good as does the MBritt Victory at the end. The MBritt Brown Eye was certainly full but a little too much bottom for me when sitting side by side with the others. The GB rigs sounded very bright and tinny to me and the RZ sounded like a broken MetalZone :D I don't mean that to sound like my definition of tone is better than anyone else's but it certainly does highlight how different tastes can be and how tones are context specific.

The only RZ pack I have is the Dumble ODS and I find it way too bright for me whereas both MBritt D Pack and various Tone Junkie D Style amps ( Two Rock) sound nice and full to me. Again, the RZ pack may sound perfect for someone else which is totally fine.

I doubt if you are doing anything "wrong" with settings though. I rarely tweak rigs much, if at all, other than to remove most of the FX: especially with Tone Junkie (if HW used 95% less delay and reverb it would still be 50% too much for me :D)

If you are finding MBritt rigs too dull I would try raising the Definition and/or cutting some lows but maybe they just aren't right for you. I'm sure you have a similar saying wherever you live but round here we say 'you can't polish a turd". If it doesn't work for you there is no point in spending a lot of time trying to force it to work just select something else that does and make music 8)

• I find that along with the comments and suggestions I read above, that VOLUME has a HUGE affect on the sound of profiles, especially regarding bright vs dull, too much bottom vs too little bottom, etc. And I find this to be true in guitar cabs, FRFR cabs, headphones, and IEMs. I find this to be true with profiles from all sources.

For example, a profile that sounds great at 60 dB typically has too much top and bottom at 80 dB. The opposite also occurs: lowering volume decreases highs and lows (did I just redneck-splain Fletcher-Munson ??). Even smaller changes in volume will make a difference. And in my experience, the increase is both in amplitude of frequencies and range of frequencies; I hear lower range lows and higher range highs at higher volumes. To compensate, I start by shelving highs and/or lows, then decrease amplitude if necessary. My suggestion is to audition and tweak profiles at the loudest volume you might ever use them. There have been many times I thought I liked a profile, until I heard it at stage volume. Most times the tweaks above fixed everything.

More specifically to the "problem" of any specific profile being dull; be sure you are listening at the volume at which you are going to use it. If all is good except the top end, then modify the amp and/or cabinet parameters starting with Definition and Clarity. Mr. Britt advises this in the documentation for every pack.

Auditioning cabs may also work. I find that cabs retain the character of the profile, so in your situation, I would start by using the cabinet from one of the other profiles that you do like.

Don't fall into the mindset that to get a "Friedman" sound you have to use a "Friedman" profile. Audition other profiles. Blind audition them if you can. With your rig, the Victory profile sounded better than the Friedman profile on my end of things. I use MBritt profiles extensively, but the Friedman profiles aren't ones I use. For me, MBritt's 68 Mars 50 1 9 profile has justified the cost of my Kemper rig and all of the profiles I have purchased.

Keep auditioning profiles. In the universe of profiles that I have tried, there are many that I could not/would not use; if they were all that was available, I would not use a Kemper. There are still a large number that would work and even fill the need for a specific sound. There are a very few that are stellar... and that makes me really happy!

One last thing to keep you thinking and working on this. I had an experience where I noted that many Profiler users, of varying genres, and varying levels of professionalism, success, exposure, (whatever), are using the free MBritt profiles. For slightly more detail about that, read How do you know - Post #28

Kevin

Be Thankful.

• Thanks Alan. Now my blood pressure is up about how bad I want/need a meter to help with leveling!:cursing:    :)

Do you have an interface or mixer with levels or a DAW. You could look at the level going in there and use it as a starting point, then fine tune with your ears.

• Hi drog, Your description is exactly what I want to do; get an "electronically" specific level, and then make small adjustments as needed. Typically, distorted tones are more compressed and have lower dynamic range. But, psychoacoustically they sound louder to me so I tend to set their levels lower. Cleaner tones typically have a much wider dynamic range, even when using a compressor. Hence the reason I want a meter to be certain I am not clipping anything downstream from the Kemper while also assuring that I am not dropping out of the mix.

I bought a ProSonus interface with that in mind. I am ashamed to admit it, but have not been able to make it work. The manual(s) and info I have been able to find online assume that I know more than I do.

So, since I have taken the step of admitting I have a problem ^^, if anyone knows of any references that might get me up and going, I would be grateful to know about it.

And sorry to the OP(that's original poster and other posters) for the change of subject, but this would be very helpful to me. Maybe the dissertation that I wrote at #194 will make up for it.

If someone has a answer/solution/suggestion regarding this, consider starting a new thread. Or I can start another thread. That way the info will be searchable and useful to others.

Be Thankful.

• If you are finding MBritt rigs too dull I would try raising the Definition and/or cutting some lows but maybe they just aren't right for you.

Dialling the bass knob in the tone stack back 2 or 3 notches is my go-to, default move when auditioning all the older Michael packs, Alan. In fact, I usually do this before even playing a note.

His newer packs (the last 2 or 3) don't require this. In a live situation it mightn't matter, but for recording, the dial-back, either post or pre-recording, is necessary IMHO.

Typically, distorted tones are more compressed and have lower dynamic range. But, psychoacoustically they sound louder to me so I tend to set their levels lower.

That's due to the hugely-increased harmonic content of course, Kevin.