Genz Benz El Diablo 60/30

• I just acquired a Genz Benz El Diablo 60/30 combo. This is my second Benz Benz. Built like a tank and almost as heavy as one. Two channel, one clean and one high gain. The amp has active EQ on both channels, a vintage/modern switch, a compression/boost switch, a tube contour control and a global attack switch. it also has reverb on both channels and an overall master. I have the Black Pearl from Benz and this is a totally different thing. The clean channel is very nice and it can be dialed up a bit for a slight crunch. The high gain channel is very Mesa like in most respects. But with all the controls, it has a lot of sounds. At lower gain settings is has a Fender sound to me and then it switches to Mesa Recti sound as the gain goes up. Not many Marshall sounds to my ears, but with the active EQ, this thing has a ton of sounds. I also added in a few new Marshall SLX profiles that are a bit on the dark side.

I'm also working on a set of Zeppelin profiles. I've got couple and when I get a few more done, I'll put them up here. They will be from what ever amp I can find that gets close to the tone. I'm also going to try and use the correct guitar on these, some Tele, Some LP, etc. In the process I'm learning a few more Zep tunes!

These will be under Hays on the exchange.

• Thanks for these new profiles.

I'm also working on a set of Zeppelin profiles. I've got couple and when I get a few more done, I'll put them up here. They will be from what ever amp I can find that gets close to the tone. I'm also going to try and use the correct guitar on these, some Tele, Some LP, etc. In the process I'm learning a few more Zep tunes!

Sounds cool, looking forward to these. I was just re-learning some Zep, lol! :thumbup:

• Thank you for these, and all of your profiles from the past, such a good range of authentic tones! You're able to capture the dynamics of the original amp very convincingly, it translates really well in a DAW/Studio setting for me.

I just tried the new ones, and they are seriously amazing, as per usual. :thumbup:

These new Genz/Benz/Mars profiles seem to favor HB's, the HB on my HSS Strat sounds mean and vicious now, loving it.

Also really looking forward to the Zep profiles, you mentioned 'correct' and 'Tele', and I got giddy with excitement and anticipation.

Thanks again Mr. Hays, for your skills and generosity.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Ahh, the Genz-Benz El Diablo 60. One of the most hated tube amps of all time. Not sure why it got all the bashing, but just do some Google'ing to read old reviews on Harmony Central, and later, The Gear Page.. I use to own one, myself. I thought it was built like a tank (as you noted), and I could coax a lot of unique tones out of the amp. The unusual, active EQ was probably the source of the unreasonable animosity and frustration from new owners, who didn't have the patience to make subtle tweaks to the EQ -- which caused major changes in tone and dynamics. In any event, I really enjoyed my ownership of the El Diablo 60. Wow, I can't believe how fast time goes by.

Thanks for sharing your profiles, Hays. :thumbup:

• Just checked- TEN pages of profiles and judging by the responses ALL worth a listen.

THANKS!

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user