Struggling With Transpose - SOLVED

• Help!

I've just recently acquired a Kemper Profiler and whilst I'm delighted with the tones and all the possibilities for live application, I'm struggling a bit with the interface (30+ veteran software engineer!).

The biggest issue for me though, is the Transpose function. I assumed that it would work like my Digitech Drop and detune the signal. It detunes, but also adds another tone, giving it a nasty and irritating 'Metal Mickey' sound.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

• Is it possible that you can still hear the original tone of your guitar, which irritates you?
    To rule this out, you'll have to make the signal pretty loud.
    Our ears are quite impressive and can still hear the original signal of the guitar through headphones.
    Record the transposed signal to see if it really contains another tone.

• ^What Peter said. Besides this you should install the newest firmware because Transpose is now integrated in the Rig menu. So you can free up an effects slot pre stack. Ceck if Parallel Path is enabled (if yes disable it).

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks guys.

I'm using it through the band's PA rather than headphones, so it's fairly loud. I'm trying to set up performances as they would sound in a live situation, as recommended by the guy at Guitar Guitar who sold it to me.

I'll check the Rig settings as recommended by Kempermaniac.

It's an amazing piece of kit and perfect for me as my band play a wide range of Classic Rock songs.

Hopefully, I'll be answering rather than asking questions before too long!

• I only use it to get a quick and dirty bass sound by transposing -12 on a clean Fender rig. It sounds fine and no extra anything.

There's a bit of latency, so I keep the playing simple.

• UPDATE:

By way of a bit of background ...

I play in covers band and we generally do 2 x 90 minute sets on any given night, covering 40 to 50 Classic Rock songs, some clean, some crunchy and a few gain-y ones.

We've recently changed singers and the new guy (he's very good), is struggling with some of the original keys. I'm not really a natural musician and have learned by rote and practise, practise, practise. I work full-time in a demanding job as well and don't have the time to re-learn songs in different keys and we don't have a lot of time between songs for me to re-tune my guitar.

What I intend to do with the Kemper, is set up several performances (acoustic, clean, crunch, lead, lead w/delay) in alternate tuning that will allow me to keep my guitar in EADGBE and select whatever tuning I require for that song.

I thought I'd cracked it last night when I set up a performance with King Clean, King Vintage and Powerfall. I used 'Transpose' to drop each rig a whole step via the 'Rig' settings. It seemed to work very well, so I stored the performance and went about doing other stuff. When I went back later, I was getting the same 'extra tone' issue that I reported at the start of this thread.

I'm utterly perplexed!!!

• Firstly, all transpose effects carry some level of latency and artifacts ( in my experience) so it never beats taking another guitar in the right tuning.

However, I've also used the transpose on the KPA for a number of things and it sounds think comparable to a digitech drop tuner.

You can confuse the transpose not hitting a note cleanly ( partial harmonic) but otherwise that does sound odd. Can you record and post it? Is it all the time or only on some notes?

• Firstly, all transpose effects carry some level of latency and artifacts ( in my experience) so it never beats taking another guitar in the right tuning.

However, I've also used the transpose on the KPA for a number of things and it sounds think comparable to a digitech drop tuner.

You can confuse the transpose not hitting a note cleanly ( partial harmonic) but otherwise that does sound odd. Can you record and post it? Is it all the time or only on some notes?

Hi thanks for replying. I'm familiar with the Digitech Drop - I've used one live on many occasions and just sold mine last week - and you're right, there are artefacts left over, but it's generally close enough for rock'n'roll, certainly for the drunks I play to!

You can hear it more significantly on single notes and it's all over the fretboard and across the strings.

I'll put a recording up on Monday when I get back home.

• Hi,
    have you updated to the last firmware? There where some improvements in the last versions. I use the beta version.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Digitech Drop to compare with the Transpose and found that FOR ME the Transpose worked better than the Drop.

• Hi, I intend doing that, first chance I get.

In short though, I have been doing either the following ...

1. Select rig (I'm quite partial to King Vintage)
    2. Select Stomp 'A' and scroll through to TRPWholestep
    3. Set to -2 (the default, which I guess is 2 half steps)
    4. Strum a chord or play a few notes

... or ...

1. Select rig
    2. Press 'Rig' button
    2. Select Stomp 'A' and scroll through to TRPWholestep
    3. Set to -2
    4. Strum a chord or play a few notes

The result is that the tone drops a whole step, but sounds as if it's pitch-shifted rather than a complete tone down.

In lieu of an actual recording, t sound like a bit like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmRMJZU240

• You have to download the latest Beta-Firmware to have the transpose function in the Rig-menue.

You have to choose „operating System beta versions“ to find it in the Download area on the Kemper website.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manson DR1 Matthew Bellamy Signature Guitar, Music Man Axis Sport, Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele, Fender 52 American Vintage Reissue Tele 2011, Fender 69 American Vintage Reissue Thinline Tele 2011, Gibson 2015 Les Paul Special doublecut, Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic Frank Iero Signature.

• 2. Select Stomp 'A' and scroll through to TRPWholestep

The problem is that I believe you are selecting using the wrong knob. There are two knobs to select stomps or rigs labeled Types and Browse. One of them selects PRESETS and the other one selects TYPES (so you can start from default and make your own preset).

You must use the other knob and look for the TRANSPOSE effect (not the preset TRPwholestep). Then just turn the knob to -2.

Also as lacantina has already explained, if you have the latest firmware, you can use the transpose function out of a stompbox. Just press the button RIG and then turn the transpose knob to -2.

• Good morning folks,

Really starting to lose heart with this and am on the verge of regret at buying this ... this .... this ... THING :(

Before I go any further, I do NOT have a recording to share - don't have the facility yet, but am working on it, I tried using my phone, but it was inaudible.

As previously posted, I drop the tuning by 1 step (-2 on the display), and result just sounds like yer average pitch shift effect - i.e. awful.

On chords, the guitar sounds out of tune, on single notes the pitch effect is more prominent, in fact I don't hear much difference between 'Transpose' and 'Chromatic Pitch'.

Here's what I'm doing ...

1. Browse for one of the default rigs
    2. Select rig - Steave Clean - nice and simple.
    3. Press 'Rig' button
    4. Press 'Store; to Auto Assign as per display prompt
    5. Press Stomp 'A'
    6. Use 'Type' knob to scroll to Transpose
    7. Use 2nd from left knob on bottom to dial -2
    8. Strum a few open chords, play A-minor pentatonic
    9. Pull out hair and scream at non-existing deity (the downside of Atheism - no-one to blame but self)

At this stage I'm happy for folks to point and laugh at what is clearly the user stupidity of a 30-year software engineering veteran.

HELP!