Quality of compressors?

• Hi all,

I'm not an expert with compressors, but I like what I hear on the Kemper. How do you think they compare to outboard compressors like the Origin pedals or Keeley etc? Honest opinions please!

Is there anyone still using pedal compressors with their KPA or are you all in digital?!?!

Many thanks,
    Jonathan

• The compressor in the Kemper is one of its best effects, in my opinion. Very transparent when you want it to be, yet still in control of transients. Can also do the opposite, too. The parameters are unusual, so it takes an hour or two of tweaking to get a feel of how they’re actually influencing the sound in comparison to pedal compressors, but it’s worth it. The only time I’d use outboard is if I wanted a specific colour that was missing from the profile in conjunction with the compressor. Luckily, guys like Andy from The Amp Factory often profile through compressors to get their specific colouration baked in to the profile anyway.

• Don't forget this guy in the Stack section. 8)

 Compressor
    This “Compressor” parameter is different from the stomp compressor, because it is a part of the simulated amp circuit. In other words, it allows for completely different sounds compared to compressors that are inserted before (pre) or after (post) the Amp Module. Distorted signals are not affected by compression; so only clean signals will be boosted. The dynamics of your playing are fully retained, so, purely by the strength of your picking, you can go from a crunchy sound to a compressed, clean sound. The volume knob on your guitar works exactly as you would expect: for instance, reducing the volume of your guitar will transform a dynamic crunch into a clean, compressed sound with full energy.

• The compressor in the Kemper is one of its best effects, in my opinion. Very transparent when you want it to be, yet still in control of transients. Can also do the opposite, too. The parameters are unusual, so it takes an hour or two of tweaking to get a feel of how they’re actually influencing the sound in comparison to pedal compressors, but it’s worth it. The only time I’d use outboard is if I wanted a specific colour that was missing from the profile in conjunction with the compressor. Luckily, guys like Andy from The Amp Factory often profile through compressors to get their specific colouration baked in to the profile anyway.

Seriously? Using compression while profiling? Pro-tip! Thanks!

• Thanks all, appreciate your comments. Like others, I think there's a lack of understanding on my part of what's actually happening when I use the compressor, I just know it sounds good! :)

I use a muff and a drive before the Kemper, so am assuming it'd be better to put these in the loop and behind the compressor, ideally. What do you guys think?

• I don’t use a lot of compression but it can add a really nice bloom; to clean sounds especially. I’m not a raving compressor-o-phile or comp-sniffer but I do have a Cali 76 which I absolutely love. All I can say is I haven’t used it since I got the Kemper. The Kemper compressor probably isn’t as good as the Cali 76 if you’re really fussy but it’s easily good enough for me.

• I don’t use a lot of compression but it can add a really nice bloom; to clean sounds especially. I’m not a raving compressor-o-phile or comp-sniffer but I do have a Cali 76 which I absolutely love. All I can say is I haven’t used it since I got the Kemper. The Kemper compressor probably isn’t as good as the Cali 76 if you’re really fussy but it’s easily good enough for me.

Heck, I’ll bet there’s nothing the Cali can do that the KPA can’t.

• The Cali does sound special and the attack time is super quick as it's based on an 1176. I'm not sure how quick the KPA is but I would be surprised if it is technically as fast. The Cali does colour the sound too whereas the KPA is probably more transparent but for me the KPA is good enough that I don't want the hassle of carrying a separate pedal/power supply and trying to patch it into the FX loop.

• In Michael Britt's "Introduce Yourself" thread back in 2013 he said this about the Kemper's compression:

Here

I actually a/b'd the Kemper comp with the ego when I was trying to dial in my main compressor sound. I was using the Kemper comp on all the time at first, but I've slowly started removing it from some of the patches. I probably have it on about 60% of the time now. The Kemper does such a good job of volume leveling that it's not as necessary as with a traditional rig.