Mesa Boogie 50/50 Power Amp?

• I run my un-powered Kemper "toaster" into a Mackie 112 Thump. The Thump is 1200 watts Class D. I typically have the volume on the Thump just past noon. Depending on the gig, I run my Kemper Master Volume between 3 and 7 most off the time. I play both restaurants and rowdy Rock gigs. I'd like to run my Kemper through a tube power amp into a 2 x 12 cab. I'm wondering if the Mesa Boogie 2 channel Stereo 50 watt amp would give me the same clean power, or more, as the Thump? I don't want power tube distortion, I'd like the power amp to be a clean platform with enough clarity for Dire Straits Sultans tones or Rev. Billy G grind tones. Any thoughts

• The MB 50/50 will color the sound significantly. If you must go with tubes, try the Peavey 50/50....I know, who would think it would be better, but it is. It uses EL84 output tubes, and it is much clearer and more articulate than the MB.

• Interesting Dlaut... you're right, the thought of a Peavey being superior is not something I would have thought. OK, how about the volume issue. Would the stereo 50 watts from the Peavey cut a loud Rock n Roll gig? Not Metal but a raucous RnR Trio. Think ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Cream, Petty etc. I need a clean platform for the Kemper with some tube warmth and enough volume....

• I believe that you will find it to be plenty loud. It has the same output as the MB, just a *flatter* response curve with better detail in the high end. It is not as flat as a solid state amp. But I believe that it will allow the character of the profiles to, more authenticity, shine through. In other words, an AC30, for example, will sound more like it should (depending on your speakers).

Edited once, last by Dlaut ().

• I use a 50/50 with my kpa.
    Works great for me! Clean headroom is endless....
    It does color more when I compare to a marshall 9100.
    The 9100 is actually a little better / neutral sounding....but so gd heavy!

• The MB 50/50 will color the sound significantly. If you must go with tubes, try the Peavey 50/50....I know, who would think it would be better, but it is. It uses EL84 output tubes, and it is much clearer and more articulate than the MB.

That’s interesting. EL84 are famous for breaking up early and adding a specific colour/chime to the tone. I have EL84 in my Boogie Studio .22 and Mark Five:25. They are great sounding amps but clean headroom isn’t their strong point.

I also have a Boogie 2:ninety with 6L6 which is a much cleaner less coloured sound. Even at hal power it is plenty loud enough for any gig :)

EL34 are also famous for their mid range early break up compared to 6L6. However, I have a THD BiValve that takes any sort of tube you want to use and I would say the differences, while there, are fairly subtle.

No matter what tube power amp you use it will colour the sound to some extent.