Help with monitoring decision - Studio Monitors or FRFR Speakers

• Hey guys, I mostly just play my unpowered Kemper in my home studio and I mostly use it for two things:

• To record ideas (setup: Kemper à Digi 003 Control Surface via SPDIF)
    • To play along to tracks or to come up with ideas (setup: Laptop and Kemper (monitor output) à Roland KC350)

My question is – Will I be sacrificing anything if I setup the laptop, Kemper, and my Nord keyboard to go through a mixer to a pair of Alesis M1 monitors? Or, am I better off getting an FRFR speaker (preferably not one with unnecessary 1000W of power) for this application?

Some considerations:

• Would this put too much wear on the Alesis M1s?
    • Any risk in doing this?
    • Any risk in leaving the Alesis M1s on for too long or reproducing poor quality audio at times (think noisy YouTube audio)

Thanks!

Alex

• No risk to the M1s by mixing multiple intruments into them; that's what they're designed for.

No risk leaving them on for too long. Just make sure things don't get ridiculously-hot in your room so that the monitors' natural heat dissipation isn't impeded.

The only possible "sacrifice" is that a dedicated FRFR box will allow you to play the guitar louder, but seeing as you're used to using the M1s, I can't see any downside. Why spend all that extra dosh unless it's necessary, which it isn't?

HTH

• I consider a FRFR type speaker a PA speaker and would only get one to play at volume ie to a crowd or with a drummer. At home, I use a small pair of active monitor speakers; they have multiple inputs so have the Kemper, USB interface and videos/songs blaring through them. They also have a headphone socket, so I can use them to sum the lot for late night sessions.

• For sure, and if you do end up pushing them harder in future to the point that you can hear distortion, maybe with live e-drums, keys and guitar, for example, you could then upgrade to something more-powerful. The sky's the limit when it comes to studio monitors, as your wallet will learn if it hasn't already.

That said, there are plenty of powerful-and-cheap(ish) models on the market, so if or when you need to step up a notch, it shouldn't break the bank.