Running a Profiler Powerhead into a 4ohm cab

• I recently purchased a Profiler and am looking to use it for bass as well as guitar. I know little more than basics when it comes to electricity and amplifiers, and have always just matched amp to cab. There seems to be some debate about whether this is necessary in the online forums. Since the Kemper is rated at 8 - 16 ohms, would it be dangerous to run it through a 4ohm cab? Maybe stupid question....

Thanks!

• I think it states in the manual that you can use a 4 ohm cab - from memory it says use an 8 ohm to 16 ohm but then states you can use a 4 ohm in a separate sentence.

Check the manual as I'm sure its in there.

I have run 4 ohms before no issue.

• Yes, it's in the manual chapter about the internal power amp.

4 Ohm is possible. You need to be aware, that in that case the power is limited to 600 Watt. Theoretically the power amp could deliver even more at 4 Ohm. So as soon as you reach that 600 Watt ceiling you hear short sound breaks. Nothing will get damaged. Normally, you stay way below that power limit.

• Lower frequencies require much more power to drive them, especially the very low end (around 50Hz and below). A bass guitar played at fairly decent volume will eat up 600W of headroom before you even realize it.

• I think it states in the manual that you can use a 4 ohm cab - from memory it says use an 8 ohm to 16 ohm but then states you can use a 4 ohm in a separate sentence.

Found it! Yes, at first I was a little confused about the structuring of those paragraphs, but...

4 Ohm is possible. You need to be aware, that in that case the power is limited to 600 Watt. Theoretically the power amp could deliver even more at 4 Ohm. So as soon as you reach that 600 Watt ceiling you hear short sound breaks. Nothing will get damaged. Normally, you stay way below that power limit.

I think I get it. So in the same way that when the amp is run at 16 ohm the wattage is halved, when it is run at 4 ohm the wattage is doubled? However the poweramp can't handle putting out that much power, so it automatically cuts when 600w output is reached? Then the answer is yes, no problem running into 4 ohm without destroying things, just get familiar with how much you can crank it with the combo.

Thanks for the help peeps!!