Dr.Z vs other low gain profiles

• How do the Dr.Z profiles stack up to other offerings? I don’t actually play a lot of low gain songs but when I practice I keep it clean or lower gain a lot. As such I’m not going for one specific sound, as long as it’s really good, present and generally fits low gain work.

How present are they? I find many makers’ profiles sound too muffled or distant. Because of this I basically only use Choptones and a few goodies from the rig exchange like Thurman, with a good clean ac30 from TAF. I have been quite frustrated how few profiles I like given how many I have tried. Like a needle in a haystack.

I play at home with Yamaha hs5 monitors and akg240 headphones.

Thanks!

• have you downloaded the free packs from Selah Sounds and Tone Junkies? Might be all you need. Also google for Jim Lills Dr Z they are free form some podcast.

• I also like their profiles and have bought a bunch. My only criticism with Tone Junkies profiles is sometimes the low end rolls off too quickly as the gain goes up.maybe to make them sit better in a mix. They demo their packs very well, so if you like the videos you will like their profiles, plus they have a generous free pack.

Edit: to be fair to them, the low end criticism is a common Kemper phenomenon I’ve noticed...clean profiles of the same amp normally have much more low end. I haven’t done enough of my own profiling to see if it would do the same for me. Hopefully I can do that in the near future.

• I also like their profiles and have bought a bunch. My only criticism with Tone Junkies profiles is sometimes the low end rolls off too quickly as the gain goes up.maybe to make them sit better in a mix. They demo their packs very well, so if you like the videos you will like their profiles, plus they have a generous free pack.

and don't forget the free profile club - crate or something.

• and the free profiles from profile crate are very good. Not leftovers. Very generous guy. Yeah, Tone Junkie is one of my top three favorites for cleanish sounds. I haven't got all packs but quite a bunch.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• I second the tone junkie choice, I only have their bassman because once you have it there's not much more you need, but it's also because I have some mattfigs profiles and IMHO he is also a top killer profiler and he has many gems. I highly recommend his AC30 (IMHO from far the best outta here), matchless chieftain and evil robot. not to mention his BE100 is epic too, but we are entering the gainy world

• Tone junkie are my favorites from clean to mid gain profiles..by far..for this controled lack of bass, they are very present, balanced and a very very nice texture: vintage but not muffled.

Maybe my ears are screwed..but i find a lack of mids in 95% or more of the profiles, commercial or not, low gain to high gain. (Filtering is the solution most of the times)

In fact i have enough with the free pack. You can live perfectly without buying profiles.

I just bought for first time some packs from cililab, and the mbritt crank n go( black friday), almost all fantastic. But i dont think it was necessary at all. My mains profiles playing with my band are only 2, from rig exchange yet, xtc anal by maizin for gain, and metropoulos 45/100 for clean to low gain.