Share Your Favourite Virtuoso Clips

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• To stay on topic, here's a live video of one of my favorite bands, Big Wreck. If you've never listened, you're missing out. Ian Thornley sings like Chris Cornell, plays like Eric Johnson, and writes songs like the Beatles (well, not really haha, but he's really really good). It's really hard to pick just one song, but this one is the song he picked as the song to listen to if you don't know who Big Wreck is. Skip to 3:15 for the shredding. :D

The song that comes after (You Caught My Eye) is great as well. Bluesy boozy ZZ Top kind of thing, with some awesome guitar playing.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

8)

• If you've never listened, you're missing out.

Ok, so these guys were on the radio every day, every hour for it seemed like a few years when "That Song" came out in the late 90's. My god I despised "that song" -LMAO, about as much as every Nickelback song ever made, but I digress. Honestly, I would of never given this band or it's members a second thought but you've forever changed my mind on him - in a very good way! :thumbup:

He is extremely talented and Berklee trained (Jazz), which was a huge surprise to me. This guy can play and he knows his shit man! I remember them re-uniting several years ago and thought "oh yeah, here we go again"! Wasn't the case. I have to say, if they ever come to town I will certainly go see them as they are realllyyyyy good! Thanks for turning me on to him/them, again. @Locrain :thumbup:

PS. I'm not usually a snob about music or artists as I like to keep all doors open when it comes to music. However, the damn radio just "Kills" some bands, which is a shame. Oh well. Lesson learned, haha! Still got no love for Nickelback Bwahaha! :D:evil::D

• Ok, so these guys were on the radio every day, every hour for it seemed like a few years when "That Song" came out in the late 90's. My god I despised "that song" -LMAO, about as much as every Nickelback song ever made, but I digress (EXECELLENT PUN, SIR). Honestly, I would of never given this band or it's members a second thought but you've forever changed my mind on him - in a very good way! :thumbup:
    He is extremely talented and Berklee trained (Jazz), which was a huge surprise to me. This guy can play and he knows his shit man! I remember them re-uniting several years ago and thought "oh yeah, here we go again"! Wasn't the case. I have to say, if they ever come to town I will certainly go see them as they are realllyyyyy good! Thanks for turning me on to him/them, again. @Locrain :thumbup:

PS. I'm not usually a snob about music or artists as I like to keep all doors open when it comes to music. However, the damn radio just "Kills" some bands, which is a shame. Oh well. Lesson learned, haha! Still got no love for Nickelback Bwahaha! :D:evil::D

Haha, you have absolutely made my day man! I love introducing someone to BW who gets them, and enjoys their stuff.

I actually have only been listening to them for a couple years, I had "heard of them", but never listened to them before a good friend showed them to me. He had tried to get me to listen to them before, I remember him talking about them, and then BW was split up in the early 2000s and my buddy had me listen to a project Ian did during that time called Thornley. I didn't (and still don't) really like Thornley that much, and neither does Ian Thornley. Those records were produced by...you guessed it...Chad Kroger.

So, Chad Kroger and Ian Thornley have been friends for a long time (side note: Ian Thornley and Myles Kennady of Alter Bridge also go way back, Myles had a guest apperance on the 2001 Big Wreck album), and you're right, before Nickleback came on the scene, Big Wreck was THE Canadian rock band, huge success with the first album, practically a household name. Then they split up due to label pressure during and after the second album in June of 2001, Nickleback drops Silver Side Up in October, and we all know how that goes. So a few years after BW split up, Ian did a couple records on Chad Kroger's label. The production is pretty straight up good old butt-rock and Ian seems to have no love lost for those albums.

Anyway, Ian does a couple solo albums, then starts playing with the original BW guitar player (Brian?), they have a couple session guys playing with them, and they decide to call the new Ian Thornley album they're working on under the name of Big Wreck. So they released Albatross on 2011 and Ghosts in 2014, and they are two of my all-time favorite albums, hands down. They are both so solid all the way through. And the production is just fantastic, he's a total gear-head and I think the albums are sonically wonderful. And they are such a good, tight live rock band.
    What gets me about him is he is a much better singer and player than when he was younger. Gives some hope to those of going through our 30s and 40s, haha.
    I suggest diving in with their live stuff, specifically the Suhr demo shows they did at NAMM. They did those a couple years, they're some of the best captured/mixed/performed live shows I've seen. They're so good live. The first album kind of bores me to death, but I even love watching them playing their singles from that album (the Oaf, That Song, Blown Wide Open) because now, 20 years later, they play the songs so much better now. Little changes here and there.

I'll leave you a few of my favorites to start you off.

This is "Albatross", title track for that album. Great song, some great slide solos, very Cornell-like.

"Wolves" is one I actually prefer the music video to the live performance. Killer belting chorus with a cool 7/8 verse.

"You Caught My Eye" is the first Big Wreck song I heard, and even though it's very different from most everything else they've done, I fell in love with them immediately watching this video:

This is "Blown Wide Open", off the first album. I don't know if you knew this song by them, but it's a great example of what I was talking about as far as the songs getting better and better over time.Lots of great jam-type lead work throughout.

And anyone who can make it through the first couple verses of "The Oaf" without a little headbanging has a problem:

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Yup i got every instructional dvd of Carls Muddy.
    The man can teach too!, he is as good of an instructor as he is a player brother

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• You might wanna listen to the first track very loud. :D

Edit: Great pick Muddy. :thumbup:

• Rory gallagher Irish Tour 74, my favorite guitarist for those years !!! <3<3<3

• It doesn’t matter how many times I listen to this, it leaves me speechless. The fact he’s using a Kemper is just a bonus! It’s a masterclass in 3 minutes.

External Content youtu.be

• This dude must have made a deal at the Crossroads man! =O Unbelievably amazing! :evil:

• Blackmore said Satch plays no soul...well Mr Black more...kiss my ass (for satch)
    Satch wails on this slow blues man and still does some whammy vooodo..

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 2 times, last by ashtweth ().

• This is pretty sick! Had Yngwie showed up, this would of been one for the ages me thinks!

Diggin this rig rundown too! :D