Share Your Favourite Virtuoso Clips

• Nicky, i’ve just watched it the whole way through - worth it just for the Rick Wakeman lookalike in the audience about 7:30 in :P

The only Kempers I see are the two in the bass rig. Rabin might be using one off stage or out of camera shot but seems unlikely given he is a Fractal endorsee and his sound relies so heavily on FX which where the Axe really excels. Regardless of what he’s using, he gets some great sounds and him playing is top notch. The bass player and drummer sound great and have a really tight bond when hitting the groove together. I’ve never been a Yes fan as Jon Anderson has one of those Marmite voices which I can’t handle but a mate dragged me along. I have to admit I still can’t listen to Anderson for long but the band were fantastic!

• Hi Nicky, I’m never 100% certain about anything but in this case I reckon I’m about as close as a Lemper profile (about 99.99%) which is close enough for jazz or even prog. :D

I don’t know exactly when this clip was filmed but Rabin is on record as saying in both 2016 and 2017 that he is using Axe FX for the ARW tours. In various interviews he talks about having tried various modellers and found the Axe best for his needs. Although, as we have seem in previous posts and Will has confirmed from his experience; what is printed in press and online doesn’t necessarily reflect realty due to vested nterests and contractual obligations.

As for the Kempers. They are both on top of bass cabs so my money is on a pair of powered toasters either both running or one as a backup. Not only are they on top of bass cabs but they are behind the bass player which is on the other side of the stage from Rabin (and probably his guitar tech). As a guitarist it is pretty scary to have your gear on the opposite side of stage just incase something goes wrong and you need to get to it.

• Well, if he's still an Axe endorsee he must be super-proud of the fact, so much so that he chooses to hide his beloved beastie off-stage and not only that, but allow Kemper to steal (hog?) the limelight as the only guitar / bass-amp sims in view. :D

That doesn't make sense to me, and is another reason I said what I said. :/

• He is still listed on the Fractal artists page. Maybe he feels his endorsement deal obviously doesn’t pay him enough to actively advertise every night ;)

https://www.fractalaudio.com/artists/

Interview at the start of that tour - sixth question down

http://www.museonmuse.jp/?p=8820

I wouldn’t bet MY Kemper on it but I’ pretty sure he’s using Fractal.

Anyway, who said the world had to make sense :?::D

• These aren't in any specific order of importance. I tried to find the top vids i'd watch back in my sophmore year of HS when YouTube first came out. Outside of the pop/punk scene these ones really did it for me:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I know some of these are "virtuoso" quality but it serves a point for my growth in taste over the years. Like most early players/teenagers I was shred obsessed in the beginning :rolleyes: haha. In my adult age I've begun to truly appreciate the riffs and amazing rhythm guitar parts that really drive the songs, with a tad of soloing on top of that :thumbup: .

• Steve Vai said once to some guitar mag that he loved the guitar soloing in Heartbreaker (Led Zep), that any sloppiness you might complain about did not matter: the energy, the attitude, the mojo, all that sure did. The same can be said about good melody, good riffing, good comping. The melody and the groove. When I was a kid I just thought I needed to play scales the faster the better. A waste of precious time.

External Content youtu.be

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• There's only one Tommy !

External Content youtu.be

• Watch at least past the 12 min mark, wait till he starts shredding after he plays the hybrid picking stuff.
    I never knew Greg was such an amazing guitarist...

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Watch at least past the 12 min mark, wait till he start shredding after the hybrid picking stuff.
    I never knew Greg was such an amazing guitarist...

Greg is a very funny guy, as well as an amazing guitarist. I laughed out loud a few times during his presentation. Thanks for posting, Ash.